Young French motorcyclist killed after coming out of ABAC uni in Bang Bo

webfact

image.jpeg

Picture: Thai Rath

Thai Rath reported that Pol Capt Paradorn Phengkhot of the Bang Bo police in Samut Prakan was called after a 22 years old foreign motorcyclist was killed after coming out of ABAC university.

A security guard said that he saw the foreigner exit the uni at speed and fly off a bridge and hit a footpath. 

He had a broken left leg and a broken neck and was lying in a pool of blood when Ruam Katanyu Rescue and the police and medics arrived. 

He had been riding a GPX motorcycle the front of which was damaged. It had Lampang plates.

There were marks on the road for 50 meters.

Paradorn said that the rider was clearly going very fast and was probably unfamiliar with the road.

Thai Rath in their headline and body of their story suggested that the French man had "thrown his life away" through unfamiliarity with the Thai roads. 

Motorcyclists make up 70-80% of Thai road fatalities that are thought to be around 25,000 annually. 

Deaths at the scene have been about 14-15,000 in the last few years. Many others die on the way to and in hospitals.

In this case the embassy and then relatives were informed by the Thai police. 

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-07-08

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3
  • Haha 1

Flies don't die at the rate of thees motorcycles riders that are dying every day in this country most as a results of carelessness, not wearing protective gear and being under the influence of a substance...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, userabcd said:

Not to say it is the same but a few days ago at asoke interchange, saw a foreigner on a similar motorcycle, when the light change to green he was first off the mark racing his engine and popped off a wheelie across the intersection and raced off at great speed down Sukhumvit well ahead of everybody. In addition to that the young guy was not wearing a helmet.

Happens all the time just stand there for a while, high speed race from Asoke to Nana 4 intersection. You know, the intersection that has the police box on the corner. Have never seen the cops there take any action.

• Haha 1

Seems like most of those who kill themselves on "big bikes" are foreigners who don't have a clue about traffic rules here. Most Thais know only too well how dangerous their roads are don't go near them.

There should be a mandatory course on driving in Thailand before anyone is allowed to rent/buy a vehicle, especially a 2-wheeled one.

I am a biker myself but since moving here I have only driven scooters.

• Confused 1

On 7/8/2022 at 9:36 AM, userabcd said:

Not to say it is the same but a few days ago at asoke interchange, saw a foreigner on a similar motorcycle, when the light change to green he was first off the mark racing his engine and popped off a wheelie across the intersection and raced off at great speed down Sukhumvit well ahead of everybody. In addition to that the young guy was not wearing a helmet.

Desperate to impress others by showing off their riding skills, 'bravery' for riding fast, making noise to attract attention.  In their minds it almost seems we all stand on the side of the road in awe, clapping and cheering and waving or furiously mas*ur*****g from being in instant love.  Truth is the opposite. 

On 7/8/2022 at 5:42 PM, Aussieroaming said:

They have absolutely no idea how many times he had ridden that road unless he had only just arrived in the country.

Much easier than checking to see if there were any other contributing factors that led to the accident, such as road surface conditions, oil on the road, other drivers etc.

What a pity there wasn't a witness there who saw everything and was able to tell the police what he saw.   Hang on...

On 7/8/2022 at 7:28 PM, brianthainess said:

We need more speculation on these pages, there is never enough :unsure:

I think that you're being a little unkind, the speculators here were probably witnesses at the scene, that's how they can be so adamant about the circumstances.

2 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:
9 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Most Thais don't go anywhere near Thai roads?  Really?  You've got some stats for that bizarre assertion?

cannabis? ????

Don't see the relevance of that to my question to Rhys re his bizarre statistic-less claim.

5 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Don't see the relevance of that to my question to Rhys re his bizarre statistic-less claim.

reefer madness bro. did you have a sense of humour bypass when you were young? ????

8 minutes ago, rattlesnake said:

Anywhere near big bikes.

only very rich people can afford big bikes. also, I don't know much about donorcycles but Google suggests that he was riding a GPX Demon which is only 150-250cc so not a "big bike" at all.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

only very rich people can afford big bikes. also, I don't know much about donorcycles but Google suggests that he was riding a GPX Demon which is only 150-250cc so not a "big bike" at all.

Technically you're right, but I don't think that changes the relevance of my post. A GPX Demon will still allow you to achieve hich speeds which requires solid skills and experience, most foreigners I see on those motorcycles (non-scooter/moped ranging from 150-900 CC) clearly have neither, I saw one yesterday, in his early 20's, no helmet, t-shirt and shorts, on what must have been at least a 600 CC, zig-zagging around, a recipe for disaster.

Regarding Thais, if they can buy 1 million-baht cars, they could get these bikes if they wanted them but they are not interested, to them a moped is enough, I have hardly ever heard a Thai express interest for a "real" bike.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, rattlesnake said:

Technically you're right, but I don't think that changes the relevance of my post. A GPX Demon will still allow you to achieve hich speeds which requires solid skills and experience, most foreigners I see on those motorcycles (non-scooter/moped ranging from 150-900 CC) clearly have neither, I saw one yesterday, in his early 20's, no helmet, t-shirt and shorts, on what must have been at least a 600 CC, zig-zagging around, a recipe for disaster.

Regarding Thais, if they can buy 1 million-baht cars, they could get these bikes if they wanted them but they are not interested, to them a moped is enough, I have hardly ever heard a Thai express interest for a "real" bike.

you need to get out more my friend. I've been plenty of Thai boys on bigger-than-moped bikes around my neck of the woods (Pathum Wan and Ban Rak). friend's Thai BIL has a B300k "big bike" that he regularly takes out for a spin. 

you want me to ask BIL to send a video of him top-speeding it on the highway?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

you need to get out more my friend. I've been plenty of Thai boys on bigger-than-moped bikes around my neck of the woods (Pathum Wan and Ban Rak). friend's Thai BIL has a B300k "big bike" that he regularly takes out for a spin. 

you want me to ask BIL to send a video of him top-speeding it on the highway?

I get out plenty, thanks.

I know a couple of Thais with larger bikes too, that does not change the relevance of what I am saying. Each time I see a large 2-wheeler on the horizon, I know it's a farang and I am rarely wrong. Admittedly this applies to coastal regions (where I have always lived) which these types tend to favour. You seem to be referring to the 'dek waen', lots of them in Bkk which is a street-racing hotspot or in remote villages where often their bikes are just pumped-up mopeds.

• Confused 1

On 7/8/2022 at 10:49 PM, rattlesnake said:

Seems like most of those who kill themselves on "big bikes" are foreigners who don't have a clue about traffic rules here. Most Thais know only too well how dangerous their roads are don't go near them.

There should be a mandatory course on driving in Thailand before anyone is allowed to rent/buy a vehicle, especially a 2-wheeled one.

I am a biker myself but since moving here I have only driven scooters.

smart move .....

Edited by rumak
  • Like 1