What do you use for home self defence/security?

I have a 4 foot long piece of the 1/2" blue PVC, and a box of metal screws with duct tape wrapped around the screw head.  Pop it into the end of the PVC and you have a blowgun.  Of course that was back in the states, where I also had a handgun.  Use the blowgun also when I lived on the property in Udon Thani.........never had any dogs come and attack ours after the first time.........It was fun to shoot the jingjok's off of the walls as well.

9 hours ago, pagallim said:

15 years same house, and always had dogs.   Various gates and walls deter any casual thief, and any planned crime would know about the dogs.

TvYji7A.jpeg

Very nice dogs.

I've had pit bulls for the last 15 year ++ in Thailand, they make lousy gaurd dogs although in most cases the sight and reputation is normally enough.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

We had at least one burglary in our condominium - years ago. As far as I remember someone stole jewelry from a relative rich lady. 

And about guards: In theory their job is protection, and in part they do that. But on the other hand security people are a risk. I had a friend who owned a Thai security company. He was aware that some robberies are organized by security guards in a building. Later he paid one of the guards extra money to report to him what the others are planning...

Personally I don't worry too much. I don't think anyone will target me because nobody will expect anything valuable and removable from my condominium. And there are lots of other units with bad locks which are easier to enter.

There's also the point that very very few security companies give any training at all to the guards. Hence they don't know how to identify a potential thief etc., and then they don't know what to do if they do suspect someone or what to do if there is a robbery etc., taking place. 

• Like 1

Wife have a few 50 cm iron bars I cut from 12mm concrete rebar, and an aluminum baseball bat that’s all. No machetes, guns or big dogs. 
The iron bars are mainly for breaking padlocks of the decorative window bars, instead of crawling around in a smoke-filled house looking for keys in case of fire. I don’t like the window bars, but they make her feel safer when I am not there.

4 minutes ago, Pooreye said:

Wife have a few 50 cm iron bars I cut from 12mm concrete rebar, and an aluminum baseball bat that’s all. No machetes, guns or big dogs. 

What ... how's that possible.  I thought 1 came with every house  ... ????

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

perhaps I’d feel differently if I lived in a property outside of a moo-ban without security etc

I doubt it, we live in a 4 storey shophouse in a row of shophouses that open onto a busy soi in Hat Yai. Been in this property 16 years, never a problem beyond someone very occasionally helping themselves to one of the wife's pot plants. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VocalNeal said:

Is it me or is the US psyche taking over the world.????

Maybe depends on the gun thing mentality.

I use to love my guns in UK for rough shooting on my mates farm and all the different competition clay shooting. 

Hand guns I hire at a shooting range. 

I like to go CM and shoot at the army camp the only I don't like is that won't let me shoot at 50M only 25 M. 

3 hours ago, nrasmussen said:

Prepping for the worst by having weapons in one's home is living in fear in my book.

Easy to say by people who’ve never experienced needing one 

I don’t blame them though, all these superhero movies and shows, you’d think a few martial arts classes and you can disarm multiple criminals who have knives and guns. 

if you watch some cctv of crimes, its rare to see the person without a weapon winning, a fight between a person who has a knife and someone who doesn’t ends quick, one stab and the other person bleeds out and that’s the end of it, no movie magic of getting stabbed and fighting back only to live to tell another tale 

here’s two headlines of incidents I remember not too long ago of murders in Bangkok because it was in the same area Samut Prakan, I am sure there was more incidents I just don’t recall them 

27-year-old former resident of Pattaya found dead under a bed in Samut Prakan

Condo resident arrested for murder of woman neighbour - Samut Prakan

Edited by dj230
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Its not you....   This ‘second-amendment-esque’ I have the right to defend myself at all costs mentality is somewhat nuts.... and very ‘merican.... 

This idea that we may be thinking of protecting ourselves against a ‘home invasion’ is nuts...  really, is anyone going to invade our home and if they do, if they are armed, are you really going to have time to get to your gun safe, unlock it, load ammo, they take on the aggressors ??? 

Or, if your ‘weapon’ is so readily accessible then why can’t it be used against you ???

All this.... ‘protect myself’ bo!!ox is just bravado wrapped up in an obese ego.... 

And the ‘guard dog issue’... IF I had a guard dog I’d be far more worried about it mauling the mail man or a child....  Lets face it... If dogs are trained to guard a property and react with aggression against strangers entering the property then that stranger could be an un-knowing child or something approaching for the right reasons.... 

---------

So... to answer the question: I feel no need to ‘protect’ my home... door locks are enough. 

But, I live in a Moo-ban, so perhaps I’d feel differently if I lived in a property outside of a moo-ban without security etc. 

That said: I am about to put up a couple of motion sensor security cameras....  (Blink) and lighting that comes on when movement is sensed. But, that its because we have a couple of expensive bicycles and a motorcycle kept out front (just inside the gate).

But really, the camera is to find out which cat keep pi$$ing up my motorbike....  thats the biggest threat we face !!!

My son installed motion detector cameras/lights a couple of years ago.

When triggered strip LED lights me on around the whole house and in the whole yard.

WHY? Easy answer, his wife is really afraid of the dark and wouldn't go outside to get something from the car even for 2 or 3 seconds (car in the carport under the main roof).

Now with the automatic lights she has no hesitation to walk around the whole house, in the yard.

Good and worthwhile result.  

23 minutes ago, sometime said:

8000 volt pulse on all the perimeter walls, window grills & 4 dogs

I have seen something similar in the Philippines, although I am not sure about the 8000 volt. But high walls with barbed wire and spotlights in every corner. Looked like a prison wall.

I know one house in Hua Hin with extremely high walls (sure 4m) around.

This setting might be enhanced by putting something nasty on your own ground just near the walls when someone tries to climb and jump. As it is on your plot a lot of things might be permitted - just let your imagination run wild.

21 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Where do you live Bierut. ????

AND... "

To death to us part and all that stuff, I don't know any other way, without that, life don't mean much.

Your bar girls resistanthe bar girl your ATM card and PIN and tell her to return it tomorrow whe yce is futile you will be assimilated go to ATM immediately, woosah."

Even better give her your ATM card and PIN number and tell her "Return the card to me tomorrow evening when I come to the bar". 

Nothing like efficiency. 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Stocky said:

I doubt it, we live in a 4 storey shophouse in a row of shophouses that open onto a busy soi in Hat Yai. Been in this property 16 years, never a problem beyond someone very occasionally helping themselves to one of the wife's pot plants. 

Someone nicking the pot-plants....   defo need an AR-15 if you are in the drug business !! :stoner:

• Haha 2

30 minutes ago, dj230 said:

Easy to say by people who’ve never experienced needing one 

I don’t blame them though, all these superhero movies and shows, you’d think a few martial arts classes and you can disarm multiple criminals who have knives and guns. 

if you watch some cctv of crimes, its rare to see the person without a weapon winning, a fight between a person who has a knife and someone who doesn’t ends quick, one stab and the other person bleeds out and that’s the end of it, no movie magic of getting stabbed and fighting back only to live to tell another tale 

here’s two headlines of incidents I remember not too long ago of murders in Bangkok because it was in the same area Samut Prakan, I am sure there was more incidents I just don’t recall them 

27-year-old former resident of Pattaya found dead under a bed in Samut Prakan

Condo resident arrested for murder of woman neighbour - Samut Prakan

They're out to get you.....    how do you protect yourself when walking around, they must also be after you then, right ????  :whistling:

1 hour ago, sometime said:

Fields to the back, fields to the front & fields on both sides Sheer bliss ???????????? couldn't find an Emoji showing tapioca LOL

So you have claymores laid out then with flash bangs and trip wires...awesome, your ready....

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, sometime said:

Fields to the back, fields to the front & fields on both sides Sheer bliss ???????????? couldn't find an Emoji showing tapioca LOL

Is it a crime area to go to though lengths on my farmhouse all I have is a mosquito blue light showing out at night. 

1 hour ago, scorecard said:

AND... "

To death to us part and all that stuff, I don't know any other way, without that, life don't mean much.

Your bar girls resistanthe bar girl your ATM card and PIN and tell her to return it tomorrow whe yce is futile you will be assimilated go to ATM immediately, woosah."

Even better give her your ATM card and PIN number and tell her "Return the card to me tomorrow evening when I come to the bar". 

Nothing like efficiency. 

Nice one ???? have a good life. ????