My USA Passport has 6 clear/empty pages. Time to replace?

Plus 1 page is 2/3 empty.

Of the 6 clear pages, two have 1 staple in them and one has 2 staples.

If I remove the staples and stapled papers, will Immigration (anywhere but mainly Thailand) be OK with using those pages or do they avoid them due to the small staple holes?

Basically, is it that time to deal with getting a new Passport?

Edited by JimmyJ
  • Like 1
  • Confused 4

19 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

No problem to have holes from a staple in them.

Are part of the 6 pages the last 3 in your passport that are for endorsements?

Dependent on how much you will be traveling it may be time to get a new passport.

Yes, all 3 endorsement pages are included in the 6.

I never noticed/read the writing on the side of those pages before.

What sort of endorsements is it referring to?

If this means no stamps can go on those 3 pages, then I guess it's definitely time for a new one...?

13 minutes ago, JimmyJ said:

Yes, all 3 endorsement pages are included in the 6.

I never noticed/read the writing on the side of those pages before.

What sort of endorsements is it referring to?

If this means no stamps can go on those 3 pages, then I guess it's definitely time for a new one...?

I needed to do a border bounce in 2018 and was down to just the back 2 pages for an actual Visa sticker from Laos. As my other pages all were 2/3rds full. They used the last page, endorsement pages begrudgingly but still I was able to bounce out and then back in as there was room for the Thai stamps on a previous page. I then went to the embassy and got a new passport upon my return to Bangkok. It is doable but I would try and get a new passport. They do not add pages anymore.

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

when i am down to 3 pages, i get  a new one>
living in SE asia a new US passport only take 2 weeks

stables i always remove, small holes...no problems

seems my 10 year passports never get beyond 6  LOL

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, skatewash said:

As the OP is American he should know that US passport renewal takes about 2-3 weeks, and is handled entirely by mail by US Embassy Bangkok.  Very easy to do this:

https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/passports/adult-passport-renew/

Yeap...renewed my U.S. passport by mail a few months ago.....total time required including all going & coming mail time was 18 days.  

• Like 2

My UK passport is valid for another 2.5 years but only has 3 pages empty.

Once I have my next extension in November, I will apply for a new one.

As the current situation is a shambolic lottery, a friend waited 5 months here to get his returned, I will hopefully be able to travel in the spring next year to visit my family.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I waited until I had 2 pages left and then got a new (US) passport.....and just noticed in my older passport that Immigration (Chiangmai) had used three "Endorsement" pages for stamps.  That being said, as long as you have time, get a new one now as the process is easy from here and you'll get it done in about 2 weeks or less (if applying by mail here in Thailand).  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, CMBob said:

I waited until I had 2 pages left and then got a new (US) passport.....and just noticed in my older passport that Immigration (Chiangmai) had used three "Endorsement" pages for stamps.  That being said, as long as you have time, get a new one now as the process is easy from here and you'll get it done in about 2 weeks or less (if applying by mail here in Thailand).  

Thailand does seem to use multiple pages Instead of filling one up. In my old passport they stamped an entry stamp in the middle of one page and the reentry stamp below it, rendering the page useless for others.

17 hours ago, howlee101 said:

If have the luxury of time, I would suggest getting a new passport.  A few years ago while getting an extension in Chiang Mai, I had two blank pages left (after the extension stamp).  The IO told me to get a new passport because additional extension would be disapproved.  

Very easy.  

Make it a little holiday if you live far from Chiang Mail.  They'll mail it to you within 2 weeks. ( New passport).

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, USEpat said:

I had this issue in China and the U.S. Consulate in Shanghai added blanks pages to my then current passport. Not sure what the U.S. Consulate in Bangkok might do.

When ? as it certainly was not recently.  extra blank pages were stopped jan 1st 2016

Edited by zzzzz
  • Like 1

Fwiw, for the past decade or so I have not been shy about asking passport control officers to put their entry/exit stamp on a specific blank spot on a specific page (that might have been skipped earlier).  They understand the problem, and are usually willing to accommodate.   Makes the pages go a lot further.

-- Retiree

• Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, kinyara said:

Does the expiry date on your passport have to be a certain minimum length of time when you apply for your annual extension of stay ?  I renew in May and my passport expires the following February.

Your extension of stay will only be given up until the date of your passports expiration unfortunately.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, kinyara said:

I renew in May and my passport expires the following February

Obtain passport renewal.

You have plenty of time. 

If not your extension will be approx 9 months and you would need to obtain a renewal for the extension after that. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 2