British tourist on honeymoon in Phuket and Thai tourist who went to help him drown - they ignored red flags

webfact

26 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

Unless you are in front of a resort they don't have lifeguards peppered all over the hundreds of miles of beaches of Phuket. 

Especially during monsoon season when many of the beaches are deserted. Bad time to go if beaches are your thing, you'll be disappointed. 

Nonsense, life guards everywhere.

• Haha 1

Just now, stevenl said:

No theres not.

Perhaps at touristy Patong beach.

You'll be hard pressed to find many lifeguards along the West Coast unless you count battered red flags as lifeguards.

Best not to swim this time of year on the West coat of Phuket.

Just let you know Stevini if you ever visit Thailand. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, stevenl said:

"Red flags up over lack of lifeguards on Phuket beaches"

https://www.ttgasia.com/2018/03/27/red-flags-up-over-lack-of-lifeguards-on-phuket-beaches/

"Phuket’s haphazard lifeguard coverage flamed, comprehensive plan blanked"

https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-haphazard-lifeguard-coverage-flamed-comprehensive-plan-blanked-67204.php

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

No theres not.

Perhaps at touristy Patong beach.

You'll be hard pressed to find many lifeguards along the West Coast unless you count battered red flags as lifeguards.

Best not to swim this time of year on the West coat of Phuket.

Just let you know Stevini if you ever visit Thailand. 

It happened on Kata Noi beach where the 5 star Katathani Hotel is located, so life guards on duty daily.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

"Red flags up over lack of lifeguards on Phuket beaches"

https://www.ttgasia.com/2018/03/27/red-flags-up-over-lack-of-lifeguards-on-phuket-beaches/

"Phuket’s haphazard lifeguard coverage flamed, comprehensive plan blanked"

https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-haphazard-lifeguard-coverage-flamed-comprehensive-plan-blanked-67204.php

Just like I posted above but without the links, Thank you.

The dangers of ignoring red flags; two recent double drowning tragedies on Thai beaches

By Editor

image.png

In the wake of a double drowning at Koh Chang involving a Spanish woman and a French man, a British man and a Thai tourist have now been reported as drowning at a Phuket beach.  In both tragedies, the deaths occurred when the swimmers ignored red flag warnings about dangerous conditions.  

In the most recent incident, which occurred on Thursday (14th July), a British citizen on his honeymoon ignored the red flag warning at Kata Noi Beach, before being washed away by the waves.  He was identified as Mr. Ali Mohammed Mian, 34 years old. 

A Thai man who was swimming nearby, attempted to assist but also became a victim of the conditions.  He was identified as Surasit Ponglauhaphan, aged 55 years, who had been traveling with wife and son.  Both men had been staying at the same hotel.

Before the incident at Kata Noi beach, officials had put red flags on beaches along the coast to dissuade tourists from swimming because of monsoonal conditions strong winds.  A lifeguard, Mr. Teerawat Pachanthabutr, said he had warned both tourists not to swim, a warning that was apparently ignored. 

Lifeguards are on duty every day, however with they were unable to prevent the tragedy. 

Many foreign tourists simply ignore the no-swimming flags, often with tragic consequences, Phuket governor Noraphat Plodthong said on Wednesday.  He was expressing his regret over the drowning of a Chinese tourist at Kamala beach on Tuesday.

Mr Noraphat said red flags at beaches in Phuket to specifically warn tourists of the dangerous conditions at this time of year. He would call a meeting on Thursday to draw up additional measures to help prevent more drownings.

Sadly this is not uncommon in the monsoon season with strong rip tides often present.  Just because other people may be in the water apparently coping with the conditions doesn’t mean it is safe to swim. 

When the red flags are flying, stay in the swimming pool!

Source: https://royalcoastreview.com/2022/07/the-dangers-of-ignoring-red-flags-two-recent-double-drowning-tragedies-on-thai-beaches/

image.png

-- © Copyright Royal Coast Review 2022-07-15

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

Unfortunately many the responsible persons are lazy and find it easier to just leave the red flags out every day outside the high season. Also on the good days, where swimming should be allowed. This will naturally lead some tourists to ignore the red flags, as they have most likely travelled a long way to get to swim at the beach. When beaches are closed on both bad and good days in the low season, tourists should be provided with this information, before they decide to travel to Thailand.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Dcheech said:

Phuket lifeguards are as effective as Uvalde policemen. Garf

Unless they got jetskis, I wouldn't try to rescue an adult in rough seas either.

Red flags & told not to enter ... oh well ... you can fix stupid

• Like 2

I do remember a very large sign at Kata Beach which showed what all of the warning flag sign colors meant, and on each side of the large sign would be the flags flying.  You could not miss this as you walked down the stairs from the road above to get to the beach.  That of course was 10 years ago, and the last time I was in Kata, as I mainly stayed in Nai Harn for beach enjoyment.  I wonder if the sign is still there.

4 hours ago, 2long said:

May I ask what the duty of a lifeguard is if it's not to save people in cases like this?

I know, I know, he did warn them etc. But that would surely mean he's just a guard, not a lifeguard.

I am sure you know by now that nothing bad that ever happens is the fault of a Thai person

• Like 1
  • Haha 1