The Great Thai Mask debate: Dr Taveesin asks the public in Thailand to continue to wear masks in enclosed spaces

webfact

3 hours ago, BangkokHank said:

I stopped reading the article you posted at this paragraph:

"Recently, I was part of the largest randomized controlled trial to date testing the effectiveness of mask-wearing. The study has yet to be peer reviewed but has been well received by the medical community."

You should be suspended for posting un-peer-reviewed misinformation. Or is peer review only necessary for studies that go against the official narrative?

There's millions of articles on the net stating that masks are effective. The rules of this forum only require a link to evidence that is credible and not widely contested by other credible evidence. I challenge you to find me a single credible link to evidence which says masks don't work.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I would not copy anything the French did wrt Covid as they had the highest infection numbers in Europe!

Yeah right probably have the most colds too

Meanwhile it was the same in Italy & Spain at their grand tours & is the same all over America both north & south

But best you stick with the "Superior" Thai mentality as you have been assimilated ????

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

As I am of an age in the high risk group I will do what I feel is sensible. Europe/USA with its high infection and mortality rates should not be held up as shining examples .... 

France... that is a good laugh..... 

it  could  turn out to be a  latitude  thing  not a  western mindset  thing

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32599103/

Edited by Rampant Rabbit

4 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

And there is no incentive or funding into research / studies to prove masks are not helpful either.

Why would mask companies fund research into proving their masks don't work? They want to sell them! 

Far from me to enter the debate about masks, I do what I think is right for me and I am happy with whatever others choose to do.

But to imagine that companies that manufacture masks would/would not fund research to influence sales, I find that hard to believe. I buy masks for a pittance,  when you deduct costs of packaging and shipping and retail commission I doubt that even by selling a few millions masks a company makes enough money to fund researchers... maybe they pay them with masks?

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

If you look hard enough online, it is not difficult to find creditable sources supporting almost any belief.  Where truth lies is being able to look at the data with an open mind and come to a sound conclusion.  Masks seem to be beneficial in reducing viral load of the transmitter and the receiver of the virus and arguing this is futile IMO.  Too much data out there supporting their use.

For me, I would rather not wear a mask in 99% of circumstances.  There is a time and place for everything and I would put one on for example, around a frail unhealthy individual if I couldn't avoid being near them.  The risk of a bad outcome is minimal for me personally and I would rather live life to its fullest.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ozimoron said:

Don't be ridiculous. This topic is about covid. 99.9999% of modern mask wearing is to prevent covid and you claim that studies which precede covid are somehow relevant.

Of course they are. Why would they not be? I would appreciate a dialectically sound argument.

And by the way if you had bothered to click on the links I posted you would have seen that three of them were published between May and November 2020.

Edited by rattlesnake

5 hours ago, ozimoron said:

Don't be ridiculous. This topic is about covid. 99.9999% of modern mask wearing is to prevent covid and you claim that studies which precede covid are somehow relevant.Your claim that the discussion of mask wearing to prevent covid is politicized is ridiculous. Politicizing covid is an issue. The politicization of the issue has come about only because the right need to run interference for Trump's failure to get the problem under control early.

You are mistaken. The masks are worn to prevent people who have COVID spreading it when they cough or sneeze.  They are not for preventing you getting it.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

You are mistaken. The masks are worn to prevent people who have COVID spreading it when they cough or sneeze.  They are not for preventing you getting it.  

They work both ways. Certainly, they are more effective at preventing others from getting infected but they reduce the chances of the wearer being infected as well. Significantly. They also reduce viral load in all cases of transmission. Suggesting they don't work at all in preventing the wearer from getting covid is misinformation.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, rattlesnake said:

Of course they are. Why would they not be? I would appreciate a dialectically sound argument.

And by the way if you had bothered to click on the links I posted you would have seen that three of them were published between May and November 2020.

This is 2022, and new studies show a different view than what you posted.  But how about just letting it go, and agreeing to disagree and move on.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2022/03/220301093655.htm

An international research team from universities including Chalmers University of Technology, Sweden, the University of Padua and the University of Udine in Italy, and the University of Vienna, Austria, has developed a new theoretical model to better assess the risks of spreading viruses such as Covid-19 -- with and without a face mask. The results show how the standard 'safe' distance of two meters does not always apply but varies greatly depending on a range of environmental factors, and that face masks can indeed play a crucial role.

The study revealed, for example, that a person talking without a face mask can spread infected droplets one meter away. Should the same person cough, the drops can be spread up to three meters and if the person sneezes, the spread distance can be up to seven meters. But using a face mask, the risk of spreading the infection decreases significantly.

"If you wear a surgical mask or an FFP2 mask, the risk of infection is reduced to such an extent that it is practically negligible -- even if you're only standing one meter away from an infected person,"

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

They work both ways. Certainly, they are more effective at preventing others from getting infected but they reduce the chances of the wearer being infected as well. Significantly. They also reduce viral load in all cases of transmission. Suggesting they don't work at all in preventing the wearer from getting covid is misinformation.

Yes it is.  I never suggest that.  For you to suggest I did is misinformation.  ????

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

Yes it is.  I never suggest that.  For you to suggest I did is misinformation.  ????

You claimed they don't prevent you from getting covid which is misleading. Pedantic uses of the word "prevent" to imply that because they don't work 100% then they are ineffective is misinformation. If you don't qualify your claim then it's false.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

This is 2022, and new studies show a different view than what you posted.  But how about just letting it go, and agreeing to disagree and move on.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2022/03/220301093655.htm

An international research team from universities including Chalmers University of Technology, Sweden, the University of Padua and the University of Udine in Italy, and the University of Vienna, Austria, has developed a new theoretical model to better assess the risks of spreading viruses such as Covid-19 -- with and without a face mask. The results show how the standard 'safe' distance of two meters does not always apply but varies greatly depending on a range of environmental factors, and that face masks can indeed play a crucial role.

The study revealed, for example, that a person talking without a face mask can spread infected droplets one meter away. Should the same person cough, the drops can be spread up to three meters and if the person sneezes, the spread distance can be up to seven meters. But using a face mask, the risk of spreading the infection decreases significantly.

"If you wear a surgical mask or an FFP2 mask, the risk of infection is reduced to such an extent that it is practically negligible -- even if you're only standing one meter away from an infected person,"

Plenty of studies both ways indeed.

I was responding to a comment claiming there were no credible links to evidence that masks don't work.

Just reestablishing the truth. You guys like truth and facts right? So there you go.

Edited by rattlesnake
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, 2long said:

For all those who want to continue to go along with this charade, WHEN WILL IT END?

Ok, a year or two ago we made sacrifices and believed those in charge about masking, lockdowns, and 'herd immunity' but none of them 'worked' (because we still have Covid).

So what do we wait for now?

Or will you guys continue to wear masks, hide from the world and worry for the rest of your lives?

No one's hiding, you just believe that by wearing a mask we are....nothing further from the truth.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, rattlesnake said:

Plenty of studies both ways indeed.

I was responding to a comment claiming there were no credible links to evidence that masks don't work.

Just reestablishing the truth. You guys like truth and facts right? So there you go.

Not so much about appreciating truth and facts, but much more akin to be deeply conditioned/indoctrinated as to what truth [whatever that is] and facts might be.

The base ideals of hard wiring - repeated often and loud enough. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, zzaa09 said:

Not so much about appreciating truth and facts, but much more akin to be deeply conditioned/indoctrinated as to what truth [whatever that is] and facts might be.

Interesting point. "Repeat a lie often enough and it becomes the truth”, basic principle of propaganda often attributed to the Nazi Joseph Goebbels.

Lisa Fazio of Vanderbilt University studied the subject a few years ago and came to the conclusion that repetition makes a fact seem more true, regardless of whether it is or not.

My rule of thumb is that if something is repeated too often, by too many people for too long, then it's suspicious.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, zzaa09 said:

Just like 2 + 2 = 4. Some facts get hard wired in easily. That masks work in reducing transmission is about as basic as 2 + 2. It is not a propaganda lie as you imply.

• Like 2