Things to do in Mukdahan while waiting to cross to Savannakhet for visa.

Well well well it's finally time to try my luck getting a Non-O at the Savannakhet consulate. I'll be arriving to Mukdahan Sunday morning on the overnight bus from Bkk. I'm contemplating staying the day/night in Mukdahan before crossing over to Laos on Monday morning just to break it up a bit. Break up the journey AND the scenery. The overnight bus and straight into visa stuff at border can be a bit trying. I will be quite early, however, so getting a hotel at 7 am might be difficult. Anyhoo, anyone wanna weigh in with a yea or nay on this? Something interesting to do in Muk for a day/night? Is Monday morning at Laos immigration busier and more trying than a Sunday morning?

Thanks folks!

• Like 1

Some good points there, Tim, thank you. I'm also thinking that Monday morning at the border and the consulate might be busier than say mid week so it might make things easier already being situated in Savannakhet. I'll probably have the good fortune of getting there too early, for sure. Maybe I'll hang at the bus station and get "freshened up" and grab a coffee. That first bus to the bridge is pretty crazy usually, too. I won't be in the usual rush to get to the consulate since it will be Sunday, either, so can take my time.

Aha! I have a Mukdahan story, circa 1992. I was traveling to all 76 provinces & doing the Mekong (and Mekong!) route from Ubon.

Didn't find much to do in Muk (long before any cross-border action). Looking for a meal, I was directed to this big club. Once the door closed, though, you couldn't exactly tell how big because the interior was pitch-dark.

Someone grabbed my elbow in the dark & directed me to a table. Not even a flashlight. No idea how the wait-staff navigated. I didn't get up because I thought I'd knock into something.

As my eyes became accustomed to the dark, it was then I noticed a tiny long strip of light against one wall. Feeling the tables as I went, I got over to this tiny light just to satisyfy my curiousity.

By pressing one's eyeball against the strip of light in a plate-glass window, one could see that there were a bevy of beauties behind the glass. They could have even been on the menu!

Definitely one of the weirder places in the Kingdom. Hope it's still there!

• Like 1

When I used to go there, also used from BKK the night VIP Bus, arriving at Bus station would get the local bus to the Boarder = there maybe a lot of people waiting to do Thai Passport Control , then get the Bridge bus then take a Tuk Tuk to the consulate

The problem with the international bus = will not wait a long time for you to do Passport Controls [getting Visa for Laos] + back then was much cheaper to get $ US from the BKK Bus Station then paying in Baht.. + the international bus takes you to the Bus Station, so you still have to take a Tuk Tuk back to the consulate....

I once made a mistake in booking the Day VIP Bus back to BKK stayed 2 nights in Savannakhet = had to hitch a ride across Bridge, then hitch another to Bus Station.  Bridge/Passport Controls DID NOT Open for foot people until the Bus to BKK would have left. = had to hitch in goods vehicles 

3 hours ago, unblocktheplanet said:

By pressing one's eyeball against the strip of light in a plate-glass window, one could see that there were a bevy of beauties behind the glass. They could have even been on the menu!

You can be sure that they were, most likely it was for Thais and you were an unusual visitor. In my early years in Thailand a Thai friend or 2 took me to a few places like that, I don’t remember the cost as I didn’t indulge but it was very much less than places designed for foreigners. The beer was also much cheaper.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Daithi85 said:

Does anyone know whats needed to apply for  a tourist visa in savannaket? Thanks. 

DAGS is the answer 

https://savannakhet.thaiembassy.org/th/publicservice/104412-tourist-visa?page=5d84a44c15e39c26b400453e&menu=5d84a44c15e39c26b4004569

https://image.mfa.go.th/mfa/0/5JYoZtAQn8/Visa_Application_Form.pdf

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, sapson said:

Can you do a simple land border hop across to Laos and back with just a vaccine certificate and passport required to enter both countries?

Sort of. You need to purchase a visa for the Laos side. You can get a visa-on-arrival (in which case, make sure you have a photo and US$40 as paying for the visa with baht costs a lot more) or, a bit more expensive, get a Lao e-visa. The Lao e-visa saves space in your passport, and (at Savannakhet) may be prudent if planning to cross early morning or in the evening. At Savannakhet, the visa-on-arrival desk is not always open at odd hours. I have always bought the visa-on-arrival, but there are certainly decent arguments for the e-visa.

There is no problem with an immediate return to Thailand. However, if you want a visa exempt entry, be aware that you can only get two of those per calendar year when entering by land.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, BritTim said:

Sort of. You need to purchase a visa for the Laos side. You can get a visa-on-arrival (in which case, make sure you have a photo and US$40 as paying for the visa with baht costs a lot more) or, a bit more expensive, get a Lao e-visa. The Lao e-visa saves space in your passport, and (at Savannakhet) may be prudent if planning to cross early morning or in the evening. At Savannakhet, the visa-on-arrival desk is not always open at odd hours. I have always bought the visa-on-arrival, but there are certainly decent arguments for the e-visa.

There is no problem with an immediate return to Thailand. However, if you want a visa exempt entry, be aware that you can only get two of those per calendar year when entering by land.

Thanks so just the normal Laos visa on arrival or pre purchase obtains as pre covid.

• 2 weeks later...
23 hours ago, bamboozled said:

Hi all, I spaced on this thread after I began my journey and have just crossed back into Thailand after two weeks. I went straight to Savannakhet with no stop in Muk but Unblocktheplane now I'm wishing I did. ...in a time machine, perhaps. Since it was Sunday, I was in no rush to get to the consulate which made things much more relaxing. I ended up staying 4 or 5 days there as I met a guy at a bar and we had a lot of fun drinking the nights away. The two Laos owners also speak great English and have lived in the US. They were wonderful to talk to and we all had a lot of fun. Having folks to while away the days/nights makes all the difference. I also bicycled around a lot. The bar is called Senorita. No issues getting the visa and no long lines.  After 4 nights I took a day bus to Vientiane 13 hours), and stayed for two nights. I haven't been in 10 years but I didn't recognize the place. Much more built up around the river area and many, many places now out of business because of Covid. It was a bit depressing and what was nice and relaxing before seems to have been "modernized" and ruined. IMHO. I then got a $36 flight to Luang Prabang and stayed for 4 nights. Back to Vientiane on the new high-speed train. One more night staying there and today took a bus to Udon. Tomorrow flight back to Chiang Mai. Note: I had not heard of this train but it's been built by China and runs all the way up to the border with eventual plans to end in Singapore. Currently, it is not running to China I think because of Covid. However, I foresee everything changing drastically in Laos as soon as the border opens up. Laos is currently still relaxing, even Luang Prabang but I don't think that will last long once China citizens are able to pop into Laos on this train (only 2 hours between Luang Prabang and Vientiane, for example, instead of 10 hour bus ride). There are just so many of them and Laos is not very big. Just some FYI. If you want to enjoy peaceful, relaxing, Laos. Better do it very soon.

Thanks, I'm hoping I'll make it back in while there's still something of old Asia left. Lats there a couple of decades ago.

As for the train, this is a cool YT channel:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BritTim said:

My first visit to Laos was in 1989. It was a magical trip, but the lack of infrastructure made it a real challenge. Getting on a flight from Vientiane to Luang Prabang was nearly impossible, and you could not do the journey by road in a single day (at least in the rainy season). The road was also a bit nerve wracking, as bandits were known to operate in some areas.

The town was indescribably atmospheric, but the poverty in Luang Prabang was distressing to see. There was a lot of obvious malnutrition among the children. Of course, I have seen the old Laos disappear with some feelings of regret, but the changes have been mostly for the better from a human perspective.

I was on a flight from Vientiane to Luang Prabang near the rear door, which was OPEN! It was low level and I'm sure they were flying Visual rules. This was some 20 years ago. Can't remember the type, but it was a turbo-prop.

It reminded me of being choppered into the Malaysian jungle by Hueys when I was in the army. Open doors and steep banking turns that had us looking pretty much straight down into the jungle. Enjoyed both experiences but wouldn't volunteer for them now 555

I took the bus back down, and quite honestly found that far more scary. Baggage piled high on the roof, people sitting all along the aisle on upturned buckets. The driver careering down roads with tight bends at breakneck speed with inches to spare on drops of hundreds of feet into deep gorges. The karst formation scenery was magnificent, the ride was terrifying.

I didn't see any serious poverty in LP that I can remember and I usually notice it. It was still quaint and a lovely place to visit. I went on a combined cycle/canoe trip out in the mountains as well. But the place was obviously gearing up for a tourist boom. One hotel would only give me room if I took one of their women as well. I went somewhere else - apart from the dignity aspect, I believe there were (maybe still are) some pretty appalling penalties for unmarried sex with a Lao woman. I found somewhere a short was down the main road into LP, which had just been finished, and was one of many hotels just sprung up.

I also had a blazing argument with a bank manager who said he couldn't give me money on my Visa because it was 'maxed out'. I phoned and got the info it wasn't. So I belabored him until he couldn't any more. Took me over half an hour of argument in a pretty full bank foyer. But he didn't serve me - he got an assistant to pay me out so he wouldn't lose face. He withdrew out back.

And yes, improved standards of living and prosperity are absolutely welcome. I don't want to travel to poverty stricken museums, but progress can be done tastefully. I hope LP still has some character.

Aah the joys of travel ????

Edited by BusyB
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 7/16/2022 at 12:33 PM, unblocktheplanet said:

Aha! I have a Mukdahan story, circa 1992. I was traveling to all 76 provinces & doing the Mekong (and Mekong!) route from Ubon.

Didn't find much to do in Muk (long before any cross-border action). Looking for a meal, I was directed to this big club. Once the door closed, though, you couldn't exactly tell how big because the interior was pitch-dark.

Someone grabbed my elbow in the dark & directed me to a table. Not even a flashlight. No idea how the wait-staff navigated. I didn't get up because I thought I'd knock into something.

As my eyes became accustomed to the dark, it was then I noticed a tiny long strip of light against one wall. Feeling the tables as I went, I got over to this tiny light just to satisyfy my curiousity.

Definitely one of the weirder places in the Kingdom. Hope it's still there!

So what happened after

• Sad 1

i would travel across to Savannakhet on arrival, skipping the overnight stay in Mukdahan,

when  in Savannakhet try Cafe Chez Boune Restaurant, really good food,

is the Thai embassy Savannakhet issuing multi entry non imm 'O' thai wife visa's

13 minutes ago, steve187 said:

is the Thai embassy Savannakhet issuing multi entry non imm 'O' thai wife visa's

The official Thai consulate in Savannakhet (the embassy is in Vientiane) is issuing multiple entry non-o visas based upon marriage to a Thai.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, steve187 said:

i would travel across to Savannakhet on arrival, skipping the overnight stay in Mukdahan,

when  in Savannakhet try Cafe Chez Boune Restaurant, really good food,

Oh yes, I got one!

these "international" buses... they only leave from Bangkok, yeah? they don't stop anywhere along the way, do they? just straight to Savannakhet, Pakse, etc.? Or could you actually get on one from Khon Kaen?

sounds like a sweet option to get straight into Laos, and avoid the 'bus station is located 20km away from everything but here's a taxi' problem.