When Dating a Woman, How Important is Her IQ?

2 minutes ago, jvs said:

Please do not make the mistake thinking a high IQ means you are also intelligent

and smart.

I have worked with so called high IQ people and they were dumber then a sack

of hammers.

It takes a lot of different things that makes a person smart,smartness is what counts.

What is smartness?

Just now, moogradod said:

Lacessit brought the term up. For me it means practical intelligence rather than intellectual reasoning and thinking. In English you have as well the term "shrewdness". I do not know if this catches the deeper meaning of street smart. Example: You may be a good business man but maybe you have no idea nor the capability to understand quantum mechanics.

Common sense then.

1 minute ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Wouldn't it be nice if the Wechsler were a pass-fail test. 

We could set the bar arbitrarily low. 

Who needs fine-grained tests, anyway? 

All children could become little geniuses and influencers posting their thoughts on YouTube, no different than today. 

Have we reached the peak of intelligence? 

Interesting read

By around 400,000 years ago, the brain of Homo heidelbergensis had reached around 1,200 cubic centimetres – just a shade smaller than the brains of modern humans, which are around 1,300 cubic centimetres. When our ancestors left Africa around 70,000 years ago, they were smart enough to adapt to life in almost every corner of the planet. The astonishing cave art suggests they were fully capable of thinking about huge cosmological questions – including, perhaps, their own origins.

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20190709-has-humanity-reached-peak-intelligence

1 minute ago, Sparktrader said:

What is street smart?

Street Smart is what you need to survive in PNG. 

The average tribesman in PNG is smarter than the entire freshman class at Harvard. 

Just ask the Harvard prof who wrote an entire book on this very topic. 

I'm sure you know who I mean. 

3 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

The average tribesman in PNG is smarter than the entire freshman class at Harvard. 

I am not sure about Harvard graduates, but if you want a recruitment consultant, you’ll be looking for a PNGian.  I suppose it is having rugby league as their national sport …

11 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Not really. Different environment. In the city they be lost. In the bush the students be lost.

Local knowledge rather than IQ.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, StreetCowboy said:

I am not sure about Harvard graduates, but if you want a recruitment consultant, you’ll be looking for a PNGian.  I suppose it is having rugby league as their national sport …

And kept up their headhuntingskills!! 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

Not really. Different environment. In the city they be lost. In the bush the students be lost.

Local knowledge rather than IQ.

You can take the bush out of a bushman, easily, unlike the bar out of the girl. And he will thrive in the Bronx. 

Wasn't it Rockefeller's son who was eaten by headhunters? 

No doubt, a Harvard man. 

PNG guys can survive anywhere. 

4 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

You can take the bush out of a bushman, easily, unlike the bar out of the girl. And he will thrive in the Bronx. 

No doubt, a Harvard man. 

How many bg have you known, and how many bg have left the bar and never looked back? 

Worst stigma ever I hear, is people who know bargirls and how they really are in general. Most bg look for a brighter future and to make some money.

4 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

No doubt, a Harvard man. 

I was in Sids one night, and there was a lady from PNG wanting to get a game in a local ladies’ rugby team - she was playing for a Gaelic Football team, … 

… from here, I am going to lapse into fanciful imaginative narrative, and I wish to make that clear to avoid maligning the lady in question…

though when I saw her outside, I thought hurling might be more her sport.

9 hours ago, daveAustin said:

Traditionally, you would typically want a girl at or approaching your level of intelligence, but would need to be able to communicate effectively. But I think most blokes come here to get away from all that and like em thick and cute. ????

Not so much that I like em "thick"  and cute ....... just it was a better option than the other one :   thick and NOT cute .

Thai visa ?   Well,  there's thick and arrogant .   And then there's a combination of other intelligence levels ,  but still I would NOT choose to interact with the arrogant ones ,  no matter how intelligent they think they are.

Friendly and easy to feel comfortable with .   Now that i can live with .   

25 minutes ago, StreetCowboy said:

I was in Sids one night, and there was a lady from PNG wanting to get a game in a local ladies’ rugby team - she was playing for a Gaelic Football team, … 

… from here, I am going to lapse into fanciful imaginative narrative, and I wish to make that clear to avoid maligning the lady in question…

though when I saw her outside, I thought hurling might be more her sport.

Only slightly better is the sport of hurling, than curling, both of which are not for the squeemish spectator. 

21 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Only slightly better is the sport of hurling, than curling, both of which are not for the squeemish spectator. 

I used to think that curling was like chess, until I watched a serious chess competition, and I realised that the only thing they had in common was a Norwegian in the final (not the same Norwegian).

I don't need her to be super smart or anything -- in fact I ain't into nerds -- but she can't be painfully thick.

I think cultural compatibility is more important. Even the educated Thai chicks are beyond my comprehension.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jvs said:

Please do not make the mistake thinking a high IQ means you are also intelligent

and smart.

I have worked with so called high IQ people and they were dumber then a sack

of hammers.

It takes a lot of different things that makes a person smart,smartness is what counts.

The highly invented and accepted ideal[s] of an IQ can be quite subjective as seen through the eyes of convention.

......and has little to do with everyday common intelligence and knowledge - in which appear in a wide variety that might be applicable in practice, less theoretical. 

How many MENSA types does it take to crew in a lightbulb? 

[over thinking doesn't qualify]

????

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

Yes, I often see so many bushmen clicking around and thriving in the bronx... 

you qouting my name but not my quote which is Gammas. 

I would say most peoples strenght is being adoptable to new environments. Maybe more true before, when life was depending on success, rather than now, it is not depending on nothing almost. At least true for most of us here in this fora, where the everyday struggle is complaining about everything. 

Edited by Hummin
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, DrPhibes said:

Even in fluent Thai it won't help.  The construction of the language is non-direct nor logically/factually oriented.  One thing my buddies stateside/here and I totally agree on is that our Thai wives IQ drops about 15 points after they get together with the other Thai wives for more than 4-5 hrs and the longer they are back in LOS, the more it drops.  These guys are ex-diplomats, engineers, serious business owners, generally higher IQ dudes that did not marry bar girls.  I myself have degrees in Chemistry, Medical Technology, and Chemical Engineering.  Over 70% of the angst in my married (She is a Thai college graduate) life is language related.  We have been living back in Thailand for about 6 years now after 12 years in the US with 2 years of ESL classes and total English immersion (aside from parties) and her English has gone to s--t despite having to relate important Thai stuff to our English speaking kids in English only international school. She can hardly get a logically constructed sentence for content or time (past, present, future) out of her mouth.  This then becomes a torturous game of 20 questions to figure out what the heck she is really trying to say only to find out 60% is conjecture based on nothing and only 40% based on fact.  For her it comes down to why is this so important anyway, even if important.  It is back to the Thai point of your making me feel bad, nothing is more important than that, no matter how critical it is to be correct.

I took a very high end, intense, expensive Thai class at Payap university in CM and realized afterword the real reason (in my opinion) the problems westerners and Thai people understanding each other is more based on the radical differences in the mental constructs the language creates than the cultural differences.

In one of the ex-diplomats words, not mine: "If you speak in caveman, you think in caveman".

Thanks for reading.  Hope all well.

Do you find yourself asking the Mrs a question and getting the answer to something entirely different or no answer at all? My wife has a degree in education and fluent English but at times it's difficult getting an answer to a question, or even an opinion.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Hummin said:

you qouting my name but not my quote which is Gammas. 

I would say most peoples strenght is being adoptable to new environments. Maybe more true before, when life was depending on success, rather than now, it is not depending on nothing almost. At least true for most of us here in this fora, where the everyday struggle is complaining about everything. 

ok - sorry. not sure how that happened and not worth going back to check... 

8 hours ago, Sparktrader said:

Correct cause it's rather poor English. Intelligent is a much better word. That's how intelligent people speak.

Smartness is very bogan.

You are soooo smart!