The lack of skilled pilots is now causing chaos at our airports

webfact

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Below is Mabrian’s full top ten least reliable airlines, along with the percentage of cancelled flights.

Distorted data.

"London’s Heathrow airport has introduced a daily limit on the number of passengers for the first time and told airlines to stop selling tickets over the next two months in an attempt to avert more summer travel disruption."

"London Gatwick and Amsterdam Schiphol have already introduced their own caps in response to the staff shortages."

https://www.ft.com/content/9e76ca20-406f-46a8-8cec-d7627ea38f91

Emirates has rejected Heathrow Airport's demands for airlines to stop selling summer tickets, calling the move "unreasonable and unacceptable".

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-62163254

• Like 1

I think the caché of being employed as aircrew has long gone. Lower pay, cost cutting, creation of low cost airlines etc.

The reality of the job is it's not that great anyway. Many aircrew were probably stuck in  a rut.

Pushing them out, and thereby forcing them to look for different work? I doubt many are keen to return unless there are massive pay increases and better job perks.

Personnel shortages across the industry from baggage handlers all the way up is a large part of the problem.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, stoner said:

i just came back from canada. took me 3 days to complete the journey. the breakdown is on almost all levels. you can't shut down the world for 2 years and not expect a sh show to happen after. coming into suv was the smoothest part. loads of open customs booths. bags out and left with my wife in under 30 min. YYZ and FRA both complete gong shows. at YYZ there was about a 50 customer deep line to get into the sky lounge lol

This will continue for some time yet. As you say you cant shut the world down for 2 years & expect it just resumes

Another thing many dont realize about pilot shortages it is not just lack of pilots but pilots that are no longer current with required amount of flight time per year either in the air or simulators to remain current

In our area just today a pilot was telling me that due to the extra strain on simulators that were previously just used by a few to stay current the sims broke down so now many cant fly even if the airlines need them

There were also many pilots not able to stay current as even training centers closed during pandemic

• Like 1

2 hours ago, smedly said:

and you of course are a genius at everything

No, not at all, although I may be better at maths and science than you since I'm an engineer. Or perhaps you're one too?

Doubt it, since you're rabbitting on about pandemic response without acknowledging the millions of people who were saved by it. In my experience, practically none of the Google PhDs in Epidemiology that suddenly appeared have much if any of a technical background. But boy, they sure do learn quick! Seems I made a big mistake by studying and working in technical fields for years when all I needed was a few Youtube videos and Bob's Your Uncle! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, webfact said:

You must get certified as a private pilot before getting your commercial pilot certificate. 

8 hours ago, webfact said:

For example, a pilot certified for small commuter jets won’t be able to fly a long-haul “Big Bird” aircraft which is larger and holds more passengers.

I feel soo much safer now, for being informed pilots need to be certified, who would have thunk that. :unsure:

Let's see....in the last two years laid off employees include: pilots, flight attendants, maintenance crews, service staff, baggage handlers, security, air traffic controllers, TSA staff and the equivalent on other countries....

Best to wait a few more months before flying again. Glad I'm where I'm supposed to be.

By the way, I'm rated on twins...am I qualified for one of those A380s? Can't be any more difficult than a Piper Seminole or Seneca, right?

• Haha 2

Maybe the irony of many comments falls on deaf ears. 

Saving people's lives versus cheap holidays in Spain. Not long ago it was saving lives versus alcohol binges. 

Pay pilots more versus "Sorry kids, we can't afford the high ticket prices."

Clearly it will take time to get things running at the same prices as before. But calls to raise wages and keep prices down don't make sense.

If you live in Thailand, why not explore it for a change?

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

I feel soo much safer now, for being informed pilots need to be certified, who would have thunk that. :unsure:

To fly 'big birds' an ATP rating,

[much beyond Commercial license]

is required.

Also type training.

It is safe

est.

Please desist with the whining.

Thank you.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, papa al said:

To fly 'big birds' an ATP rating,

[much beyond Commercial license]

is required.

Also type training.

It is safe

est.

Please desist with the whining.

Thank you.

No I will not desist it's called free speech, stating the bleeding obvious and my comment on it, is not Whining. 

20 minutes ago, Burma Bill said:

A recent incident for reference:-

"Thailand’s Civil Aviation Authority......... reported a “serious incident” ............... On May 4 2022, an ............... Airbus A320-200 landed on the wrong runway at Bangkok’s Don Muang Airport"

https://thethaiger.com/news/bangkok/airasia-plane-lands-on-wrong-runway-in-bangkok

Probably too busy admiring the golf course.

• Haha 1

Hmmm… we wouldn’t want any more chaos at the Survanabhumi airport terminal … there is  enough already. Cant comment on the runway but planes parking kilometres from the terminal and passengers being ferried there by bus was not pleasant nor good value for money I suggest

Don't know what the VN "authority" was banging on about times taken to vacate the runway. 

VVTS (SGN) has 2 parallel runways which are operated dependably.....one for landings one for departures. So no one is left lined up and waiting for the aircraft ahead to vacate the runway.

He.is cleared for takeoff when the "landing " aircraft on the other runway has landed. 

Nothing to do with the time ot takes the landing aircraft to vacate......60vs70 seconds sheesh!

Also, times to vacate depend on many factors such as wind, aircraft type and landing weight. 

Mentioning inexperienced pilots as being a factor in delays is hogwash. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, verticalift said:

With over 42yrs strapped into the cockpits of various types of aircraft around the world…… I’m Done’n Dusted with these clowns….!!!

July 2020 at 62yrs of age I was employed as a Senior Line Captain based in Abu Dhabi working 2 months “On”, followed by 1 month “Off”…… spending my “time-off” at home here in Phuket. The game plan was to continue working through to mandatory retirement age of 65yrs (June 2023) on my Senior Captains Salary. That didn’t happen. What did happen was Covid.

In July 2020 the company I was flying for in Abu Dhabi imposed mandatory forced retirement for all crews over the age 60yrs in an attempt to save $$$$ due Covid.

When crews were asked to sign a letter from HR and Flight Ops accepting and acknowledging their retirement, we were all immediately (During the same meeting) offered a new Employment Contract for the exact same job and duties, at 33% less salary as a “Contractor”. Contractors do not get benefits, or end of service pay. I said…….No.

Instead, I chose to return home to Phuket. After having been stuck in Abu Dhabi thru August and September, I received a call on 01 October 2020 from the Thai Embassy advising that I could go home.

Now fully retired from the cockpit, I also consider myself as having been very lucky in that I was able to avoid any and all of the so called “vaccines”. See attached.

All crews that remained were forced to get “Vax’d”, or they too would have also been “Retired” early.

With no more 04:15am wake-up calls…… I’m happily retired here in Phuket.

G’luck to all the other crews still out there flying….

https://expose-news.com/2022/07/17/vaccinated-pilots-flight-safety-were-headed-for-disaster/

I think you'll find that the site to which you link could well be defined as a "conspiracy theory" site. I'm rather surprised that someone as intelligent as pilots need to be would pay it any heed.  Pilots are human beings with the same biological makeup as the rest of us, so these "symptoms" quoted are questionable at best.

Fortunately, according to the banner on the site it'll be going broke soon - or is that another conspiracy theory?