Motorists beware! Points system in operation next year - lose all your points and licence suspended 3 months

webfact

7 hours ago, Broken Record said:

Bar owners would go broke if there was strict drink driving enforcement, most Farangs I know drink and drive on a regular basis, of course none will be members here, they never are. 

What about people with unregistered motorbikes. The is one stupid old woman in my village who rides on the wrong side of the road very regularly, she nearly knocked me off my pedal bike. I gave her hell then she chased me with a big stick and tried to hit me with it, so I grabbed it off her and took her reg number and reported it to the police.

They could not do anything as the old bat's bike was unregistered. 

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, webfact said:

After the 12 points are exhausted the driver is banned for three months and the points are only restored after one year.

Why don't you just catch "opposite riders" or "motorcycles on sidewalk? Long talk no action ???????? 
then think of "points" ?!!!!!!!!    

7 hours ago, soumanioco said:

Increasing the severity of punishment will never deter crime. When someone breaks the law the only thing in their mind is that they'll never get caught. 

I really hope motor bike riders are going to be subject to this scheme if so many of them wont last 6 months.

They have been talking about this system for 5 years,  Years ago they purchased radar guns millions of baht wear ate they?

12 points?  How many are going to continue to die before they max out their points?   

And how are they able to check points on the spot even if we're to do a inspection.  

And then the money exchanged to keep point off the books.  ????

Sounds fair.

Hopefully you can only accumulate 1 pont per day.  Long drives with speed cameras one could easily get 3 or 4 tickets (points).

Drunk driving should be automatic suspension or something more substantial.

It's going to be very hard for poor families to afford car seats.  There usually 3000-5000  baht.

Government should subsidize them. 

Edited by MrJ2U
  • Like 1

I went through 3 pages of negativity and didn’t even get a single “well it’s a start”. The sad thing is if I went through every thread I’d probably find it’s the same bunch of <deleted> with the bad attitude. 

21 hours ago, petermik said:

4 points deduction for drink driving????

should be automatic 1 year ban and 1 month prison.

i would agree if their were injuries or fatalities ..   

• Confused 1

a lot of great points on this thread ..

please give them a chance to enforce this ..before condemning them 

we have been complaining about road safety long before i got here ..

hopefully if they get this right they will take the next step further ..  

22 hours ago, webfact said:

Regarding the points system drivers who lose all their points will have their licence suspended initially for 9 months.

22 hours ago, webfact said:

After the 12 points are exhausted the driver is banned for three months and the points are only restored after one year. 

I'm glad that's so clear, as mud that is.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, connda said:

Motorists beware! Points system in operation next year - lose all your points and licence suspended 3 months

How many points are taken away for driving without a license?
How many Thais drive with a license in the first place?

How many Falang rent Motor Bikes without a M/C licence ?

3 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

How many Falang rent Motor Bikes without a M/C licence ?

The police only seem to check you have an IDP (or local licence), as so many do not, and then they get the fine. The rental companies are supposed to check if a person has a specific M/C licence, but I don't believe they check for that, nor the IDP.

Edited by jacko45k
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

The police only seem to check you have an IDP, as so many do not, and then they get the fine. The rental companies are supposed to check if a person has a specific M/C licence, but I don't believe they check for that, nor the IDP.

Sorry but i don't understand as IDP do have what classes you can drive. Rental companies are supposed to check but Never do.

16 hours ago, ozimoron said:

No.

This points system brings Thailand more or less into line with many other countries who have proven that the points system is effective as a deterrent.

How many other countries have separate licences as Thailand does for Cars and M/C ? 

9 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

This points system brings Thailand more or less into line with many other countries who have proven that the points system is effective as a deterrent.

Not for the 32% of drivers/riders that don't even have a license , to them it will make no difference whatsoever.

Hope mods allow this link to PBS

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/police-defend-proposal-for-stiff-fines-for-drivers-without-driving-licenses/

Edited by Excel
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Lextsy1 said:

I went through 3 pages of negativity and didn’t even get a single “well it’s a start”. The sad thing is if I went through every thread I’d probably find it’s the same bunch of <deleted> with the bad attitude. 

Welcome on board Newbie. ????

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Sorry but i don't understand as IDP do have what classes you can drive. Rental companies are supposed to check but Never do.

I thought that is what I said... maybe not clearly. I was focusing on the police as that is the interaction that matters. Years ago, police asked for a licence...and a home one was sufficient, despite the fact they probably could not decipher many of them. At some point they started focusing on IDPs, and I believe it was because so many tourists didn't bother getting one, so more fines were being taken. 

I recall a post where a tourist was griping that the rental outfit let him rent without an IDP and he got stopped and fined, always somebody else's fault isn't it. 

2 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I thought that is what I said... maybe not clearly. I was focusing on the police as that is the interaction that matters. Years ago, police asked for a licence...and a home one was sufficient, despite the fact they probably could not decipher many of them. At some point they started focusing on IDPs, and I believe it was because so many tourists didn't bother getting one, so more fines were being taken. 

I recall a post where a tourist was griping that the rental outfit let him rent without an IDP and he got stopped and fined, always somebody else's fault isn't it. 

Many Many years ago you could show your car's MOT cert. from the UK to the cops here, they had no idea what it was and waved you on. 

Just now, brianthainess said:

Many Many years ago you could show your car's MOT cert. from the UK to the cops here, they had no idea what it was and waved you on. 

One stopped me in the 80s and I couldn't get away without giving him 100 baht... now that they recognize.