Soi Buakhao restaurant charging 55 thb for a coke, opinions.......

EVENKEEL

5 pages now from folks who I'd guess haven't been to Pattaya in years. If I was a non drinker and a beer bar charged me 55thb I'd be fine with it, no big deal or a tourist trap. But, at a so so eatery on Soi Buakhao I'd think 30thb would be the price. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

I though Pattaya was full of Indians at the moment. If there are 3 or less, then they probably won't be bothering too much about straws.

They generally don't go down soi buakhao and I've not seen them nurse a drink when in walking st agogo, what they do do is walk in the road which is annoying

• Like 1

The headline price for some eateries on Soi Buakhao is the price of the food which brings in the customer. Margin is made on the drink so even a bottle of water may be 30 baht. The complaint is probably more about the customer not thinking about the price of the drink or having some assumption about what it might be without first checking that item on the menu, but anyway even if he did he was probably already sitting down.

21 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

5 pages now from folks who I'd guess haven't been to Pattaya in years. If I was a non drinker and a beer bar charged me 55thb I'd be fine with it, no big deal or a tourist trap. But, at a so so eatery on Soi Buakhao I'd think 30thb would be the price. 

25 baht is nothing. Farangs lose $0.5m to women.

A typical tip is 20 baht. You lost 5 baht.

22 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

The headline price for some eateries on Soi Buakhao is the price of the food which brings in the customer. Margin is made on the drink so even a bottle of water may be 30 baht. The complaint is probably more about the customer not thinking about the price of the drink or having some assumption about what it might be without first checking that item on the menu, but anyway even if he did he was probably already sitting down.

I checked the menu for what to eat, not for a deal. I knew what I wanted to eat regardless the price, I don't check prices for drinks, I order. As I was paying I noticed the price and thought it odd.

22 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

What do the other bars charge for a Coke?

Good question, and if a beer bar with no food then 55thb is probably right, I don't know. 

Now I'll have to go eat again in the area and report back.

7 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

Good question, and if a beer bar with no food then 55thb is probably right, I don't know. 

Now I'll have to go eat again in the area and report back.

Try Surprise on soi 21 Buakhao, first restaurant on the right, very popular 

• Thanks 1

On the way, walking from Witherspoon to Prime Burger, you will pass (especially on Soi Buakhao) loads of places filled with bar-lawyers.

Why don't you just join them and start this discussion with them? These local bar-lawyers always have perfect opinions related to these kind of life-threatening matters.

As you have been in the food business, may I assume you had a restaurant? Where? How much did you charge for a bottle of water? Or a Coke for that matter.

14 hours ago, easydoor said:

In case you are CHEAP CHARLIE: go and buy your coke at 7/11.

You cannot afford 55THB??? Don't go a restaurant and don't come to complain here.

I had a pal who would refuse to buy a drink in a restaurant, citing that as being a 'rip off'.... but as soon as we left he would be buying a bottle of water at the 7-11. He was a bit of a tightwad ... 

I have no problem with guys complaining here, more with those saying not to. Comparing might help to keep prices down!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Sparktrader said:

Yes a current affair style. Farangs ripped off in Pattaya. 

Been visiting for 20 years. Usually go to Bangkok, Krabi or Koh Chang.

Pattaya beaches are poor.

25 baht coconuts at KC. 1000 baht bungalows.

Maybe try going outside Pattaya.

On 7/20/2022 at 5:11 PM, EVENKEEL said:

I'm looking at it from a business point of view.

So was the restaurant, who want to make as much profit as possible. If you don't return there they don't care as your seat will be taken by someone else.

There are plenty of pubs in Bangkok charging that or more for a 10 baht bottle of water. And on that subject, 10 baht is what I pay up-country for those very larger containers, the kind that go upside down on office water stations. Shows how much Singha, Chang and others make with their water, doesn't it. Massive.

23 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

So was the restaurant, who want to make as much profit as possible. If you don't return there they don't care as your seat will be taken by someone else.

Fair analogy for a restaurant who caters to one time tourists on the hotspots locations, not for an eatery catering to oldsters.

On the subject of maximizing profits I can't comprehend why places with a large seating capacity don't use pre-mix soda fountains like you find in 7-11 and Shabu instead of selling cans. 

Edited by EVENKEEL