Trump ex-adviser Bannon convicted of contempt of U.S. Congress

Scott

Trump ex-adviser Bannon convicted of contempt of U.S. Congress

Former U.S. President Trump's White House chief strategist Steve Bannon departs after he was found guilty during his trial at U.S. District Court in Washington

Former U.S. President Donald Trump's White House chief strategist Steve Bannon departs after he was found guilty during his trial on contempt of Congress charges for his refusal to cooperate with the U.S.

• Conviction follows less than 3 hours of jury deliberations
  • First contempt of Congress conviction in U.S. since 1974
  • Defense suggested Bannon's prosecution was political

WASHINGTON, July 22 (Reuters) - Steve Bannon, a key associate of former President Donald Trump and an influential figure on the American right, was convicted on Friday of contempt of Congress for defying a subpoena from the committee investigating last year's attack on the U.S. Capitol, a major victory for the Democratic-led panel.

A jury found Bannon, 68, guilty of two misdemeanor counts for refusing to provide testimony or documents to the House of Representatives select committee as it scrutinizes the Jan. 6, 2021, rampage by Trump supporters who tried to upend the results of the 2020 presidential election.

Each contempt of Congress count is punishable by 30 days to one year behind bars, as well as a fine of $100 to $100,000. U.S. District Judge Carl Nichols set a sentencing date of Oct. 21.

https://www.reuters.com/legal/government/prosecutors-set-urge-conviction-trump-ex-adviser-bannon-2022-07-22/

image.jpeg

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, pegman said:

Depending on the length of  his incarceration, if any, he could be an inhabitant of the Washington jail. I'm not sure 6 shirts will give him enough protection there. 

It took a whole 3 hours  of deliberation. They must of had the free lunch before taking 15 minutes to decide this open and shut case

If he gets time (he'll probably get a little) I assume it's a Club Fed type of crime.

• Like 1

Banner and Trump will hopefully get what the deserve.  On another topic, have you heard of the USA person who contracted polio?

Who on earth would not get a polio vaccine, as this guy did not get. 

Oh I guess the same people who will not get a VOCID vaccine, and we all now who they are. I have 5 relatives who will not get vaccinated. I also have had a few relatives and friends die from the original COVID variant, and Delta variant. Well that  is my COVID rant, and polio rantover. Pip pip carry on.. the world carries on.