Yuck: Woman who owes loan sharks 4,000 baht rails at fermented fish splatter attack!

webfact

image.jpeg

Daily News Thai Caption: Rotting stench

Reporters from Daily News hotfooted it to Phetchabun in the north east of Thailand after a Facebook post attracted widespread comment. 

Phinanpha, 54, had gone on her page to report an attack on her property by loan sharks to whom she owes money.

When she didn't pay she said the gang came to her house while she was out and splattered plaa raa (fermented fish - the smelly stuff used in dishes like som tam) all over her house.

It was all over the floor but worse on clothes and bedding.

image.jpeg

Picture: Daily News

She said she'd borrowed 4,000 baht but only got 3,600 baht.

She then had to pay back 4,800 baht in daily payments of 200 baht for 24 days. 

The trouble was the rains hit and no one was buying her fish meaning she had no income.

She said she is a single mum with three little mouths to feed.

The intimidation from the gang meant friends and relatives are looking after the kids.

Meanwhile Phinanpha said she had filed a police complaint on behalf of an aunt in similar circumstances and has also filed a complaint on her own behalf.

Though she was unsure about the paperwork having actually been done.  

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-07-25

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 2

50% of people don't think beyond "now", like when they're financing a car/phone and their though process ends at "am I able to afford 4600 Baht per month", end of thinking, they're not going full way to calculate that 400,000 Baht car will cost them 800,000 Baht, it must be very comfortable to live like that, not be bothered by things beyond that scope 

• Haha 1

Why are people so stupid ,If they can't get a loan from a bank that means they don't  make enough money or don't have any assets to cover the loan.

Going to loan shark only make things worse ,the sharks charge more interest than a bank so they are in trouble from the word go.

6 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Yes, I agree.

And everybody knows this.

So why do some people still borrow money from loan sharks? Do they rely on their hope that they will the lottery next time and they it won't be a problem to pay the money back?

Maybe they should also think about the small possibility that maybe they won't win the lottery ... 

it is a BIG possibility not small........that she will NOT win lottery.......

7 hours ago, Iamfalang said:

This part I agree with.

However, there are far nastier people who "rob" the people much worse, yet you have zero chance of meeting them.   Then the retire with a golden parachute and enjoy all their money at the expense of the poor.  

I guess you are talking about the junta government.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, digger70 said:

Why are people so stupid ,If they can't get a loan from a bank that means they don't  make enough money or don't have any assets to cover the loan.

Going to loan shark only make things worse ,the sharks charge more interest than a bank so they are in trouble from the word go.

They go to the loan shark because it fixes the problem immediately ......   they don't care about the payments or anything,   they just care about fixing today's money problem ...

• Like 1

My ex told me mom owes money to the government she must pay ex amount (i cant recall exact amount but it something like 30k) once every year, it turns out she is apparently paying 10k a year I asked how long ago did she borrow the money ?

26 <deleted> years ago! No I didn't help simply because there's mum, 3 daughters and a son if they couldn't come up with 30k between them in 26 years why should I? 

BTW this is one of the reasons she's my ex ???? 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, webfact said:

She said she is a single mum with three little mouths to feed.

guess she doesnt know about condoms or the reputation of dating thai men...

also why worry get some sticky rice and papaya shavings and invite friends over....

lastly dont take loans in LOS--live within your means.....but that may make too much sense

4 minutes ago, BusyB said:

Maybe she was dumped by a farang husband?

If you ain't walked a few miles in someone's shoes don't judge 'em.

read my "signature"....im willing to bet you on your farang claim--put up or shut up

and are you saying majority of thai men are stand up guys or do you need 100 links???

GTFOH with that ....Ive been walking in thai shoes since 2008  ive taught them english, lived amongst them,  volunteered with them, worked with them.... where i live--eat--shop and congregate....even tonight  i ate my kanom jeen noodles at local market as the only white guy there as i sat with dozen of them...bbut do tell me, as you seem to know all about me!

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, steven100 said:

They go to the loan shark because it fixes the problem immediately ......   they don't care about the payments or anything,   they just care about fixing today's money problem ...

hence--we reap what we sow....the lesson is repeated until its learned....

takes longer for some than others...putting your hand in a fire will result in a burn....

12 minutes ago, BusyB said:

Desperation, pure and simple. Either you understand it or you don't. Most westerners have never been in that situation. 

Many are forced by the family to take on debt, to pay off other family members' debts. The youngest daughters are often victims of that.

Many just don't have any more money to put food on the table since the pandemic.

4k - relatively modest sum these days.

The police should hunt those dogs down and deal with them badly. But then again maybe even the cops are behind it.

ive been homeless and have slept in my car...but do tell....talk about walking in shoes!!!

tell me what my favorite color is Columbo...

• Sad 1

21 minutes ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

ive been homeless and have slept in my car...but do tell....talk about walking in shoes!!!

tell me what my favorite color is Columbo...

I really can't imagine what triggered this king of uncontrolled anger, nor where to start. But I will say: you were not walking in her shoes. And as I said to OneMoreFarang - either you understand it or you do not.

Your shoes seem to fit you quite well.

Edited by BusyB
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

So why do some people still borrow money from loan sharks?

Because they are broke, their relatives and friends are all broke, the banks won't lend to them.

Let the kids starve?

25 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Because they are broke, their relatives and friends are all broke, the banks won't lend to them.

Let the kids starve?

No, the kids will not starve.

In Thailand are lots of monks and lots of monks get lots of food donations from many people.

Anybody who is hungry can go to a temple and ask for food.

Is that perfect? No. Is that better than getting (deeper) into a downward spiral with the loan sharks? Absolutely.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, BusyB said:

I really can't imagine what triggered this king of uncontrolled anger, nor where to start. But I will say: you were not walking in her shoes. And as I said to OneMoreFarang - either you understand it or you do not.

Your shoes seem to fit you quite well.

yea ok......go find her farang hubby ---I'll wait...if you cant imagine then go look in a mirror

On 7/25/2022 at 12:15 PM, Iamfalang said:

This part I agree with.

However, there are far nastier people who "rob" the people much worse, yet you have zero chance of meeting them.   Then the retire with a golden parachute and enjoy all their money at the expense of the poor.  

Also distant cousins and lie through their teeth stating a loan was a gift and someone gave money back to another cousin or aunt

On 7/25/2022 at 5:16 PM, Richard1950 said:

Teaching a Thai about 'tomorrow' is like teaching a fish to walk.

I find this to be quite true.  It appears to be a cultural phenomena.  And it has been explained to me before by a layperson to come from their style of Buddhism whereby they differ from the 'West' in that where we strive for happiness, they seek to retain it. 

So, perhaps this also means seeking instant gratification instead of delaying that and working towards it instead. 

That would explain many of the loans I see Thais have taken out, such as car loans - for a new car as a real life example, from someone devoid of sufficient assets and a job that is unstable and uncertain.  Instant gratification. 

Of course there are instances of needs for loans out of sheer desperation, but perhaps things leading up to that point could have been avoided.

Saying that, I do sometimes envy the Thai 'happiness now' mentality that I struggle with, instead worrying constantly over things spanning many years into the future and having sufficient finances.