Thaksin: Don’t Cremate My Dead Body, Let The Battle Be Immortalized

webfact

12 minutes ago, MrMojoRisin said:

Another coup? 
Perhaps.

Perhaps not. 

The dam wall is cracking and the military and elites are running out of fingers to plug the ever growing number of holes.
You see, coups are no longer inevitable… and that is a huge advance.

Fair call but it must be difficult, if not downright deadly to have a coup against the coupmakers.

The main man who resides wherever failed to tap this bloke on the shoulder.

Junta ain't going nowhere soon.

7 hours ago, Gandtee said:

Perhaps if he had made an effort to educate not only his children, but the Thai population by revamping the education he might leave have deserved a better legacy.

An interesting point.  Surely anyone claiming to truly care about the Thai people would make the education system their priority, not simply throw them a few quid to buy their vote?

The only real changes Tony made were involved in either enriching himself or keeping the public superficially happy to ensure they voted for him.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, josephbloggs said:

I have lived here since long before Thaksin came in when it was genuinely an "anything goes" fun place (mid 90's).   More fun under Thaksin??  Those are some mightily pink lenses you are wearing.

Thaksin had his murderous war on drugs.  Now we have legal weed which is pretty fun.

Thaksin appointed Purachai - the most anti-fun person in power that we have ever had.  He was a man of regular bar raids with urine tests for all patrons, he enforced early closing, he enforced the ridiculous 2pm - 5pm ban on alcohol sales.

More fun under Thaksin?  How could anyone say that.

Me too - I lived in LOS from 1989 until 2013. Life under Thaksin better ? More fun ? No way, Jose' ! Bringing in stupid archaic new alcohol laws - this is LOS, not Saudi Arabia ! War on drugs ? Extra-judicial killings ? Life was great for an expat here before Thaksin. An old man who was a very good friend had lived legally in LOS for 14 years, happily married to an old Thai lady & living lawfully in his own home on a meagre army pension from the UK & hurting nobody. That was until Thaksin & his govt changed the rules to "get rid of the "lower-class farang" (the exact words told to my friend when renewing his visa in Laos for the last time). Suddenly, my friend did not have enough money to qualify to get his regular marriage visa anymore, so he just said "stuff you" and then lived happily for many years on overstay, until his death. RIP David Francis, HM Royal Marines. Proud to have known you. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

I have lived here since long before Thaksin came in when it was genuinely an "anything goes" fun place (mid 90's).   More fun under Thaksin??  Those are some mightily pink lenses you are wearing.

Thaksin had his murderous war on drugs.  Now we have legal weed which is pretty fun.

Thaksin appointed Purachai - the most anti-fun person in power that we have ever had.  He was a man of regular bar raids with urine tests for all patrons, he enforced early closing, he enforced the ridiculous 2pm - 5pm ban on alcohol sales.

More fun under Thaksin?  How could anyone say that.

Easily. I first came to Thailand to work in 1993, back again in 1994/95/96 and 97 and life was much more fun then. Thaksin did not cause the financial crash of 1997 but he benefitted from it. 

Sure Purachai was a miserable <deleted>, but when I came back to work again in 2001/02/03 and 2004 it was still easy to drink late, no urine tests even in Bangkok. There have always been places to drink late, buy alcohol between 2 pm and 5 pm, drugs were and still are easily available for those that want them.

Even now in 2022 there are always places to drink late, buy alcohol between 2 pm and 5 pm, drugs are still easily available for those that want them.

Even out here in rural Thailand you can find them but the fun has gone in the last 8 years, mainly for Thais but for some farangs also

I quit drinking alcohol 2 years ago and have never bothered with "recreational" drugs. If I need to I can go to any one of a dozen shops and fill my truck with alcohol between 7am and around 10 pm any day of the week. After 10pm it is a little difficult but still doable up until around midnight or so.

Are the bars open later? I have no idea.

Your problem is that you think as a farang and not as a Thai. Under this government millions of Thais lost their jobs and now scratch around looking for work to put food on the table and how to afford to send their kids to school.

Ask them if they were happier and had more money in their pockets under Thaksin compared to now.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

Easily. I first came to Thailand to work in 1993, back again in 1994/95/96 and 97 and life was much more fun then. Thaksin did not cause the financial crash of 1997 but he benefitted from it. 

Sure Purachai was a miserable <deleted>, but when I came back to work again in 2001/02/03 and 2004 it was still easy to drink late, no urine tests even in Bangkok. There have always been places to drink late, buy alcohol between 2 pm and 5 pm, drugs were and still are easily available for those that want them.

Even now in 2022 there are always places to drink late, buy alcohol between 2 pm and 5 pm, drugs are still easily available for those that want them.

Even out here in rural Thailand you can find them but the fun has gone in the last 8 years, mainly for Thais but for some farangs also

I quit drinking alcohol 2 years ago and have never bothered with "recreational" drugs. If I need to I can go to any one of a dozen shops and fill my truck with alcohol between 7am and around 10 pm any day of the week. After 10pm it is a little difficult but still doable up until around midnight or so.

Are the bars open later? I have no idea.

Your problem is that you think as a farang and not as a Thai. Under this government millions of Thais lost their jobs and now scratch around looking for work to put food on the table and how to afford to send their kids to school.

Ask them if they were happier and had more money in their pockets under Thaksin compared to now.

I don't think that is a fair argument.  Covid has decimated the country, of course people are poorer now.  If Thaksin was in charge now we'd be in the same situation, but we probably wouldn't have the same mass transit investment we are seeing, he would just be making himself richer somehow.

Sorry I don't buy your logic.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

I don't think that is a fair argument.  Covid has decimated the country, of course people are poorer now.  If Thaksin was in charge now we'd be in the same situation, but we probably wouldn't have the same mass transit investment we are seeing, he would just be making himself richer somehow.

Sorry I don't buy your logic.

But you have no idea what Thaksin could or would have done since he was deposed in 2006, some 16 years ago.

Granted there may or may not have been the mass transit investment but that is only of use and help to the people of Bangkok and NOT to the people of Thailand as a whole.

Ask the people of rural Thailand how many times they used the mass transit in the last year. Ask them where their nearest railway station is, (for me it is 130 km away in Nakhon Sawan), the nearest airport is also there for me.

Ask them how many fewer buses there are because of the cost if diesel, how much more is the cost of food at the markets.

Then ask them how they feel about the military buying submarines, UAVs, F35 fighter jets. Then ask the people of rural Thailand what they really think of Prayuth and his government and would they want Thaksin back as a PM.

Try to understand that Thailand is NOT about you and the other farangs. It is about the Thai people and what they want.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, smedly said:

Thaksin you are just as bad as those in power right now - this country needs huge reform - it does not need greedy corrupt ### returning to do pretty much what those in power are doing right now 

The people need to be able to vote for individuals into government - not a party which allows that party to put in place people they never directly elected - THAT IS NOT DEMACRACY - who voted for Prawit ? who voted for Anutin - and the cheese on the cake - who voted for Prayut ?????????? - nobody - the Thaipeople think they have demacracy - if they understood it they would realise that the people running the country were not put in place by them .........maybe their party won but they didn't

Well, at least with Thaksin, people had no doubt for whom they were voting.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

I think your first paragraph makes him worse than Prayut as far as Thailand is concerned. Prayut isn't bright enough, and lacks Thaksin's skills, in raping the country.

Thaksin needed to be smart, because he was under threat of being held accountable. Either by being voted out, or by courts (which ultimately happened to him).

Prayut could afford to be as dumb as he was, and rape the country in an as obvious way as he wanted, because he was 100% unaccountable. No risk of being voted out and no risk of being convicted.

• Confused 2

4 hours ago, candide said:

Thaksin needed to be smart, because he was under threat of being held accountable. Either by being voted out, or by courts (which ultimately happened to him).

Prayut could afford to be as dumb as he was, and rape the country in an as obvious way as he wanted, because he was 100% unaccountable. No risk of being voted out and no risk of being convicted.

"Thaksin needed to be smart, because he was under threat of being held accountable. Either by being voted out,..."  No further comment needed.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Gandtee said:

Perhaps if he had made an effort to educate not only his children, but the Thai population by revamping the education he might leave have deserved a better legacy.

I have always wondered why some people are still blaming Thaksin for the poor level of education as he was ousted 15 years ago. Haven't you noticed which political colour has been mainly governing the country since 2006?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, lujanit said:

Try telling that to the victims families of his extrajudicial killings.  You want a return to that?  Suggest you need to see a shrink asap.

Ahem...don't you know that he has been asked to do it?

11 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

An interesting point.  Surely anyone claiming to truly care about the Thai people would make the education system their priority, not simply throw them a few quid to buy their vote?

The only real changes Tony made were involved in either enriching himself or keeping the public superficially happy to ensure they voted for him.

Shhhhhh......that's how they all are and always have been. 

8 hours ago, billd766 said:

But you have no idea what Thaksin could or would have done since he was deposed in 2006, some 16 years ago.

Granted there may or may not have been the mass transit investment but that is only of use and help to the people of Bangkok and NOT to the people of Thailand as a whole.

Ask the people of rural Thailand how many times they used the mass transit in the last year. Ask them where their nearest railway station is, (for me it is 130 km away in Nakhon Sawan), the nearest airport is also there for me.

Ask them how many fewer buses there are because of the cost if diesel, how much more is the cost of food at the markets.

Then ask them how they feel about the military buying submarines, UAVs, F35 fighter jets. Then ask the people of rural Thailand what they really think of Prayuth and his government and would they want Thaksin back as a PM.

Try to understand that Thailand is NOT about you and the other farangs. It is about the Thai people and what they want.

No argument with the majority of points you raised other than to say, the majority of rural subsistence farmers, underpaid construction workers and others are more interested in what's on their dinner plate each meal and their kids backs each and every day irrespective of who is wielding the power. 

Edited by Artisi

2 hours ago, zzaa09 said:

Shhhhhh......that's how they all are and always have been. 

Well, sure, politicians are typically lying or promising things they cannot deliver, and they generally do just enough to stay in power and get rich.  But there's a difference here. 

Thaksin is held up as a man of the people, a folk hero, someone who cares about the little guy and shares the wealth around.  Someone who would never behave in the terrible and unscrupulous way that the current government would.

So the truth is quite important here.  "Thaksin behaved the same way that all politicians do" is not the get out of jail free card that it might sound like, given his carefully constructed reputation.

Anyone who wants to play the "man of the people" role in Thailand, but doesn't do something about the education system, is being dishonest.  Especially someone who has been to the best schools in Thailand and then educated abroad.  The logical conclusion is that fixing the education system, while desperately needed, wouldn't have bought him votes, or at least it was not as cost effective as other measures, so he didn't bother.

3 hours ago, candide said:

I have always wondered why some people are still blaming Thaksin for the poor level of education as he was ousted 15 years ago.

No one is blaming Thaksin for the state of the educations system.  They're questioning why, if he truly was a "man of the people" and not like the "greedy and corrupt" lot that are in power now, did he not fix the broken education system of Thailand?

You would think that something so obviously in need or reform would be an immediate priority for someone with Thaksin's reputation for caring about the people and wanting to help them.

16 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

No one is blaming Thaksin for the state of the educations system.  They're questioning why, if he truly was a "man of the people" and not like the "greedy and corrupt" lot that are in power now, did he not fix the broken education system of Thailand?

You would think that something so obviously in need or reform would be an immediate priority for someone with Thaksin's reputation for caring about the people and wanting to help them.

Thaksin, knowing there was strong criticism about the state of Thai education, appointed himself as the Education minister with much fan fare of what he would achieve in xxx days.

Six months later nothing had changed and with no far fare he quietly removed himself from the position and appointed a new Education minister.

Further, it was later revealed he had shared there was a brick wall, the seniors in the ministry (academic and beaurocratic) refused to acknowledge his orders or enact his orders.

Reality is that this same point/situation has happened a number of times with education resulting in Ed. ministers wanting out and moved.

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Thaksin, knowing there was strong criticism about the state of Thai education, appointed himself as the Education minister with much fan fare of what he would achieve in xxx days.

Six months later nothing had changed and with no far fare he quietly removed himself from the position and appointed a new Education minister.

Further, it was later revealed he had shared there was a brick wall, the seniors in the ministry (academic and beaurocratic) refused to acknowledge his orders or enact his orders.

Reality is that this same point/situation has happened a number of times with education resulting in Ed. ministers wanting out and moved.

Shame that Thaksin couldn't access the same resolve that he was able to call on when facing anti-corruption commissions or reporters that questioned his actions... ????

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, smedly said:

what are you going on about, in the UK ministers cannot be appointed unless they are elected MP's, you are talking nonsense

The world is a little bit more than UK, agree? I said that every minister are appointed, not elected. Can’t see your post tells different. Wether only MP’s can be appointed or not is a different case. I have not posted anything about that. So talking nonsens? Yes, if you can’t read things might seems nonsense to you.

25 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

Shame that Thaksin couldn't access the same resolve that he was able to call on when facing anti-corruption commissions or reporters that questioned his actions... ????

Keeping in mind that he had 2 bats, 'yes' and 'no.' After getting a question from a reporter he would hold up 'yes' or 'no', indicating he would or wouldn't accept the question. And not negotiable.

And there was the incident when a foreign reporter asked him an awkward question (based on known facts), and thaksins response was to say 'idiot scum' and nominate another reporter to ask a question.

The foreign reporter was deported the next day.

On 7/27/2022 at 8:04 AM, JonnyF said:

He's still 100x better than Prayut though.

How so?

Do you mean the way he killed thousands of innocent people in the extrajudicial 'drug' killings.

IMHO, Prayut is 100x better than Toxin. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

How about his hatred for foreigners?

Forgotten how he raised the price of a visa from 500 baht to 1900 baht?

PR from 9,000 to 90,000 baht etc.

Like most Jek, he does not want foreigners settling here. 

Edited by Neeranam
  • Like 1