Truss surges ahead, wins key backers in U.K. leadership race for prime minister

onthedarkside

2 hours ago, transam said:

My mind is made up, Liz for me, your click are trashing Liz, now you and yours tell me why Rishi is the nuts.

Go for it.........????

You challenged me on this point in an earlier post and I replied then. Nevertheless, I will repeat.

Given a choice, I wouldn't have either but, if pushed, I would (have) favoured Sunak because - at the outset at least - he wasn't making unrealistic promises to court favour and was generally less of an opportunist. However, the longer the campaign goes on, the harder it becomes to differentiate between them, so I'm now almost completely indifferent, although I accept that it's almost certain that Truss will be our next PM.

Hope that explanation satisfies you? Now that I've explained my position (again), why don't you have a go at explaining why Truss is your preferred option?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, RayC said:

You challenged me on this point in an earlier post and I replied then. Nevertheless, I will repeat.

Given a choice, I wouldn't have either but, if pushed, I would (have) favoured Sunak because - at the outset at least - he wasn't making unrealistic promises to court favour and was generally less of an opportunist. However, the longer the campaign goes on, the harder it becomes to differentiate between them, so I'm now almost completely indifferent, although I accept that it's almost certain that Truss will be our next PM.

Hope that explanation satisfies you? Now that I've explained my position (again), why don't you have a go at explaining why Truss is your preferred option?

Probably her outfits...............????

Oh, Rishi to me is just a career glory hunter torn between his businesses, being an MP and his love of, and residence in the USA...

Also, a Cabinet minister who goes against his boss, causes ripples, is really frowned upon, not cricket.

He now has all the answers but in the job he failed, oh dear.....So now BS-ing, in my opinion of course....????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, transam said:

Oh, Rishi to me is just a career glory hunter torn between his businesses, being an MP and his love of, and residence in the USA...

Also, a Cabinet minister who goes against his boss, causes ripples, is really frowned upon, not cricket.

He now has all the answers but in the job he failed, oh dear.....So now BS-ing, in my opinion of course....????

There's no denying that Truss is well turned out!

Truss has also distanced herself from decisions made by the Johnson administration - of which she was a part - so I don't think that she can claim any moral high ground on this issue 

I think that you are being a bit harsh on Sunak calling him a failure as Chancellor. Imo he certainly made mistakes but without the furlough scheme - which he devised - many more businesses (and individuals) would have gone to the wall, so I would give him credit for that.

However, I do agree with you regarding Sunak's residency. I spent 25 years living and working in Europe, so it might appear hypocritical of me to call him out on this matter. However, I never sought high political office in the UK and direct influence on the nation's future. I do think that the least that the public should be able to expect of government ministers - or their opposition counterparts - is that they should commit to living in the country in the future. David Miliband went down greatly in my estimation when he left for the US almost immediately after losing the Labour leadership contest.

3 hours ago, transam said:

This suggests that you are not so much enamoured with Truss as anti-Rishi?  Is that a fair appraisal?  Go on admit it- it's her legs.  They're not bad for a Tory I'll give you that.

• Confused 1

13 hours ago, Slip said:

This suggests that you are not so much enamoured with Truss as anti-Rishi?  Is that a fair appraisal?  Go on admit it- it's her legs.  They're not bad for a Tory I'll give you that.

I am anti-nobody, except on the opposite bench....????

6 minutes ago, Excel said:

Unfortunately for the UK a real winter of discontent is brewing up if some of the reports are credible. Liz Truss policies, if anyone really knows what they are, are rumored to be income tax cuts which does nothing to help most pensioners or those low paid workers. The winter will be grim for them, debts mounting up and according to some, many small businesses also could go to the wall. Not looking good , except for Nicola Sturgeon perhaps who must be feeling quite smug how Truss's policies will play into the SNP's hands. Liz Truss as the PM could well be one of the shortest in British history should protests reach a crescendo and a March/April 2023 general election could be called given the wide spread discontent that may be just around the corner.

She's not in control yet, but I am sure who ever gets to be in control, it is going to be a tough time for a while, just be thankful the dynamic duo Starmer & Rayner are not in control.....????

But back on topic, even with all The Guardian diatribe regarding our Liz, she will still be in the big seat......Rock On.....????

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Your second paragraph contradicts the objection you raised in the first.

And trolling about the Guardian is not ‘Back on topic’.

There is no trolling regarding the Guardian because it is posted daily here by your click, anyone can respond to it....????

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, transam said:

She's not in control yet, but I am sure who ever gets to be in control, it is going to be a tough time for a while, just be thankful the dynamic duo Starmer & Rayner are not in control.....????

But back on topic, even with all The Guardian diatribe regarding our Liz, she will still be in the big seat......Rock On.....????

You could just as well have written...

And even with all the Sunak diatribes regarding our Liz, she will still be in the big seat.

But what's the point of either formulation? 

11 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

Watch your back truss ( or if hell freezes over sunak)…snake in the grass awaiting. 

“Boris Johnson has not denied setting his sights on a political come back”

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/aug/30/boris-johnson-ducks-questions-over-possible-comeback-legacy-prime-minister?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Because he still has a large support from sensible people who didn't see having a wine and a bit of cake during work as not running the country. 

48 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Those would be people who weren't in the situation where loved ones died during covid and were unable to be with them in those final hours or attend funerals because of the restrictions would they?

Those would be people who didn't feel that the rules should apply to all would they?

Those would be people unable to see that johnson's inability to follow rules he himself set wasn't the reason he was removed from power?

Hmm...now on that that line of thought, what is the sexual predator johnson appointed to a senior role within the party, despite knowing he was a sexual predator, doing these days?

Oh...this thread has nothing to do with johnson's rule breaking...so do get back on topic.

OK Bojo will be back when Truss and the Labour party make a mess. ????

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Although they do see his enjoying an extended disregard of the obligations of office during a time of economic crisis as not running the country.

Oh yes it's all his fault the pandemic and Ukraine while Truss was supporting him. 

The Ozies are right about the UK population a bunch of whinging poms.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, placeholder said:

But not providing it to residents of the UK.

And if the UK government wants to pay my travel expenses for me to visit Ukraine to provide Ukrainians with moral support I will accept the assignment without hesitation.

Yeeeeeaaaah, riiiiiiight......:whistling:

And you think all the gov ministers all stay at home whilst a new leader is established, everything comes to a standstill.....????.......????

44 minutes ago, transam said:

Yeeeeeaaaah, riiiiiiight......:whistling:

And you think all the gov ministers all stay at home whilst a new leader is established, everything comes to a standstill.....????.......????

Giving the current response to the economic crisis, I'd say yes. At least that's the case with his government

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Giving the current response to the economic crisis, I'd say yes. At least that's the case with his government

So now you are an expert on behind the scenes UK gov too...????

I read today Germany now has the worst inflation rate in half a century, is Boris and his team working there too....?  ????

• Like 1

1 hour ago, transam said:

He was in Ukraine providing moral support, how about you...?

Nothing wrong with that. Good on him for doing so.

However, that came after a few week's holiday in Greece and Slovenia. Again, nothing wrong with that in normal circumstances but, given that he was insistent that he should remain as PM until the replacement was in place, was it really too much to expect that Johnson could delay/ forgo his holidays this year?

If he was that keen on getting away he could have handed over the PM's job to someone who was going to be around continuously throughout the summer when he resigned.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, RayC said:

Nothing wrong with that. Good on him for doing so.

However, that came after a few week's holiday in Greece and Slovenia. Again, nothing wrong with that in normal circumstances but, given that he was insistent that he should remain as PM until the replacement was in place, was it really too much to expect that Johnson could delay/ forgo his holidays this year?

If he was that keen on getting away he could have handed over the PM's job to someone who was going to be around continuously throughout the summer when he resigned.

He can do anything he likes, which he is doing, not starting something he cannot finish, or be ridiculed for it, I don't blame him.

There is a deputy PM in place, there is still a Cabinet, no doubt still doing their thing..

Just a few day's left till you can all relax, but wait, I know a couple who won't....????

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, placeholder said:

"Behind the scenes."Well there's an all-purpose get out of jail free card.

All nations have problems. Its just that for some we have evidence that they are actually working on them. So we don't have to tell our selves comforting stories about what's going on behind the scenes

So every move an MP makes must be broadcast, so Placeholder can read it, well wouldn't Putin be happy with that, and everyone else beyond our shores..................:crazy:.......................????