Now That the Virus is Over: Are you, NOW, feeling a bit... In the Subjunctive Mood?

Dearest Friends,

I am feeling in a subjunctive frame of mind.

What about you?

For example, I often say to myself, I wish the virus had never happened.

I say this in the subjunctive sense.

What about you?

Are you also feeling a bit subjunctive, these days?

For example, you might be in the subjunctive mood to say: "If this virus had not happened, then I might be healthier in body, mind and spirit, these days".

This might be, just, a result of your subjunctive mood.

So, you see, my friends, that when we express wishes that might have been, then we are always in.... A New York State of Mind.

Who does not love it?

The New York SUBJUNCTIVE State of Mind....

It might have been better if.....

Or, not...

Who knows.

There is always the subjunctive mood to keep you wishing for the greener grass of what might have been.

I know you don't know what I am talking about.

But, I really wish you did.

Take care, men...

Best regards,

G.

Steinway & Sons.

Still, tinny.

Sounds too honky-tonk, maybe.

Good effort.

Get a new piano.

(NICE!  This guy really loves this subjunctive music!)

((This guy is....GREAT!!!!))

Edited by GammaGlobulin

In my mentioning of the Subjunctive Mood, what I really meant was this:

How Might Your Life have been different...  IF....  there had been no virus?

Or, in other words:  If there had been no virus, then how might your life have been either improved or impacted in a negative way.

I think this is the meaning of the Subjunctive Mood.

And, this is the meaning of this topic, I think.

=====

Please note:  No one can say for sure, at a micro level, whether or not their lives would have been better or worse without the virus.

Without the virus, our lives might or might not be better at the macro and micro level.

For example:  Many benefits have resulted from the pandemic virus, just as many good things happened as a result of the flu in 1918.

Sometimes, we underestimate the positive effects of seemingly extremely negative impacts which, ultimately, influence our lives for the ultimate good.

===========

Therefore:  How has the virus changed your life for the better? This is one good question.

And, if the virus had not happened, then where would you be today?

The virus has changed our destiny.

In your case, do you think your destiny has been changed for the better?

50 minutes ago, soi3eddie said:

I was in Thailand from February 2020 to April 2021. Really not concerned about getting Covid but more the about damage to life caused by lockdowns and restrictions of freedom. Amazingly I did not get Covid until end of February 2022 after being triple jabbed with Astra/Astra and then Moderna. Only a minor flu for about a week. Many here will call for perpetual lockdowns and restrictions but many older folks have limited time left to live life. Get over it!

From older people and family of mine (over 80's) the biggest concern is limitation of life experiences and not of dying of Covid. Go on bleat all you like... I'm talking of people (nearest and dearest) who just want to get on with what life they have left. My 84 year old Mom (in Subjunctive Mood) can't wait to get on the plane to Thailand with her Son (Me), her daughter and 2 of her grandchildren in October. What's wrong with that?

I think you are correct.

The biggest concern of old people is not dying of Covid, or dying of any other namable disease.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

I would have been out more and been hit by a bus...

Thank you.

Thank you, because I had begun to wonder if no one would understand the meaning of this topic.

Now, here is the truly blessed, positive, outcome of our virus pandemic:

https://www.cam.ac.uk/stories/climateendgame

Finally, maybe a few scientists are beginning to wake up, smell the coffee, and understand that we are now (possibly) ready to face reality, and thereby have some chance of saving ourselves from ourselves.

This virus has been an awakening for some.

And, already, for some years, scientists have feared to state what they secretly believe.

And now, after the pandemic, the public is beginning to stir from from its slumber.

In fact, the public is now beginning to recognize that we have been underestimating catastrophic risk to society and humanity, simply due to our camel-like behavior, hiding our heads in sand while wearing thongs on the beach.

image.jpeg.b856e0a31ca522a92a48585aa77387f7.jpeg

And now, hopefully, we will see the light.

Just, hopefully, not this light.

There is really no way to say whether or not our most recent pandemic experience will prove to be a blessing or a curse.

I prefer to think of the virus as a blessing.

Or, one can, alternatively, choose to think of it as a curse.

Some say that it's always better to maintain a positive outlook on life.

They say that it is always good to look on the bright side. 

As we all know, every curse has a blessing and every blessing has a curse.

Just look on the bright side.

1 hour ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Or, in other words:  If there had been no virus, then how might your life have been either improved or impacted in a negative way.

=====

Please note:  No one can say for sure, at a micro level, whether or not their lives would have been better or worse without the virus.

Without the virus, our lives might or might not be better at the macro and micro level.

For example:  Many benefits have resulted from the pandemic virus, just as many good things happened as a result of the flu in 1918.

Sometimes, we underestimate the positive effects of seemingly extremely negative impacts which, ultimately, influence our lives for the ultimate good.

===========

Therefore:  How has the virus changed your life for the better? This is one good question.

My destiny is unchanged. I would still be living where I am now.

As my GF loves travel, and I have traveled enough for five people, I'd say the virus has been beneficial for both myself and my wallet.

2 hours ago, ezzra said:

I think the OP should read world's statistics as to what this Covid/Omicron and its sub variants wreaking havoc and death all around the world instead of posting and reply to his own posts...

It is important to talk to yourself.

By doing this it appears that at least one person understands you.

Ever better if you place multiple mirrors in the room, then it looks like you have an audience.????????

Edited by Lucky Bones
My bad spell
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

How has the virus changed your life for the better?

Got some of the best out & abouts ever in Thailand during 'high' season.  A best ever, lovely CM province / Doi Inthanon trip.  Along with Phuket, which without the 'situation', I would have never revisited, and frankly the best ever beach holidays there, overall.  Did miss playing with the 'not so wee one' now, in the surf, as best part of life anywhere when she was younger.  Wife & dog filled the void nicely.

Destiny certainly hasn't changed, but TH is much better, for us, without 30+ million tourist.  Did lose even more respect, if even possible, for human intelligence, govt & policy makers.  Really didn't think that was possible and the bar could actually get any lower.

Damn embarrassing really ... ????

41 minutes ago, Lucky Bones said:

It is important to talk to yourself.

By doing this it appears that at least one person understands you.

Ever better if you place multiple mirrors in the room, then it looks like you have an audience.????????

IMO it's more important to think for myself. Talking to myself would be too embarrassing for me, my voice sounds like a castrated bullfrog.

Sometimes, I don't even understand myself. What am I doing behind a keyboard, when I could be out and about on my scooter?

• Like 1

I'm not sure if the subjunctive mood is properly thought of as a means to express a general state of mind or philosophical perspective on life. It's called a mood because its usage is not restricted to a single tense, but it's generally used to express uncertainty or feelings about specific situations, not to convey a day-in day-out ongoing mood, state of mind, or philosophical outlook. But I agree that the subjunctive mood is a delightful linguistic contrivance, and you are to be commended for considering it as a means to express a philosophical perspective.

Edited by Gecko123
  • Like 2

Now that the virus has pretty much completely roiled our world, even beyond our wildest expectations, do you think that we have learned any useful lessons?

In the past, I had never thought much of the University of Cambridge, other than as a good location for a Hollywood film.

However, recently, there is some guy from Cambridge who is making news by stating this:

“Global heating could become “catastrophic” for humanity if temperature rises are worse than many predict or cause cascades of events we have yet to consider, or indeed both.

The world needs to start preparing for the possibility of a “climate endgame”.

This is according to an international team of researchers led by the University of Cambridge, who propose a research agenda for facing up to bad-to-worst-case scenarios. These include outcomes ranging from a loss of 10% of the global population to eventual human extinction.

In a paper published in the journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, the researchers call on the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) to dedicate a future report to catastrophic climate change to galvanise research and inform the public.” 

https://www.cam.ac.uk/stories/climateendgame

OK.  So why is this thing newsworthy?

For one thing, the scientists (the usual suspects) caught up in the IPCC might be considered lap dogs, because true science should never be done just to substantiate and buttress the political claims of any political group, such as the IPCC..

For another thing, the guy behind the link above seems to be a weightlifter.  He has huge muscles.  Also, he is very handsome. If he put his mind to it, then he could be another Schwarzenegger, for sure.  He might even become the next governor of California.

image.jpeg.b47ce07fd579dafbc454ed237c2d3d13.jpeg

image.jpeg.31465561444aab779ad053feac4e5979.jpeg

(Believe me girls, if there are any on this blessed forum... This guy looks GREAT in a tight-fitting shirt.  And, he is way smart.)

Another thing is that most scientists never speak their mind. They are too afraid to rub their sponsors the wrong way, which might mean loss of funding or tenure.  And funding is key for any scientist.

Or, like Galileo Galilei, they might be tortured for heresy, going against the religion of everlasting exponential economic growth.

So very sadly, due to various reasons, scientists have, during the past decade, significantly underplayed the threats of global warming. Their shortcomings are not intentional, or even conscious.  And, unfortunately, scientists are subject to bias, just like the rest of us.

So anyway, this Dr. Luke (Luke Kemp), sort of like Luke Skywalker, seems to have gone out on a limb, at Cambridge. 

He seems to be one of a very few scientists who is willing to speak his mind.  And, I guess, we all recall what happened to James Hansen when he spoke his mind. He was labeled a nut case, and then he was chained to the White House fence. (Or, most likely, did he not chain himself?)

image.jpeg.a579dca0efb2871a9d82efc59e7d971e.jpeg

Therefore, who amongst us cannot feel gratitude for guys like Hansen and this guy Skywalker who willingly put their careers and tenure at risk, just to speak truth to Science?

Still, I am not so sure why this researcher appeared, during a formal lecture, in just a skimpy white tight-fitting T-shirt.  He looked so buff.  And yet, he spoke wisdom, too.

These are the things which are now happening as a result of the virus.  Our entire world has been turned off its axis by a few degrees.

Some guys are coming out of the woodwork, like rats, (good rats in white hats), to inform us of what we need to know.

===

Back to Luke Kemp in his very amazing white, almost transparent, shirt....

This is for the ladies, scientists all,  who are still reading:

With Luke Kemp, smart girls can get their cake and eat it, too.

Hats off to Luke for just speaking his mind!

Edited by GammaGlobulin

1 hour ago, StreetCowboy said:

You are lucky to live somewhere with good public transport

In the spirit of the thread - if you were hit by a bus you would be lucky to be somewhere with good public transport.  Or vice versa.  Or if you were somewhere with good public transport you might be lucky to be hit by a bus.

• Haha 1

On 8/4/2022 at 5:57 AM, Lacessit said:

The virus is not over. Perhaps one of its undeclared symptoms is unpredictable effects on mental stability.

Yes 100% in agreement, it appears the OP author might have become suchly affected...

On 8/5/2022 at 12:21 AM, StreetCowboy said:

If I didn't want to be here, I would have gone somewhere else.

Speaking of busses to somewhere...

And speaking of being on a bike or a bus.....

Have you ever considered just going FURTUR, either on a bus, or a bike, or a yacht...

Some yacht, bus, or bike, ... someplace where there are no cars?

I often think of going on FURTHUR to a place with NO CARS....

image.jpeg.aa5b65305585575a7383a20ad9e7010d.jpeg

I have told you, over and over, again, that, if you wish to enjoy a bike ride, then you need to go further, and further, and further, the more congested our world becomes.

But, have you even listened to my good advice?

On 8/4/2022 at 7:01 AM, GammaGlobulin said:

=====

===========

Didnt anyone ever tell you if wishes were fishes. As usual who gives a <deleted> about your subjunctive people wish a lot of <deleted>. Never got them anywhere.

7 hours ago, starky said:

Didnt anyone ever tell you if wishes were fishes. As usual who gives a <deleted> about your subjunctive people wish a lot of <deleted>. Never got them anywhere.

Mr Cheery has spoken !

If wishes were fishes there’d be a lot of fine wishbones

7 hours ago, starky said:

If wishes were fishes, which would you find most delicious?

I might go tomorrow, if I’m feeling in the pink

To the Cricketers Arms, where they sell Cullen Skink

38 minutes ago, StreetCowboy said:

If wishes were fishes, which would you find most delicious?

I might go tomorrow, if I’m feeling in the pink

To the Cricketers Arms, where they sell Cullen Skink

Your a street cowboy so ill give you the original "if wishes were horses beggars would ride, if horse turds were biscuits they'd eat till they died"

Quite happy in my life mate. What i dont deal in is pipe dreams, what could have beens and bs.