POLITICS Trump says FBI raiding his Mar-a-Lago home

Scott

On 8/10/2022 at 2:05 AM, Walker88 said:

Chances are high something will be found.

The only sorts of things that would be so highly classified that this degree of concern would be warranted would be things like clandestine asset identities, covert actions, nuke codes, special weapons systems, etc. Obviously 45 would have neither reason nor right to retain such docs, and he would know that, so he cannot claim ignorance.

I quote my own post from Wednesday. As I said then, in order for a judge to sign off on the warrant, the material sought had to be of such importance that it represented a threat to national security. If WaPo reporting today is correct, this is indeed the case.

We will know more tomorrow, provided 45's new effort to block release of the warrant (why would he want to block it?) fails.

If the material is nuke related, this is wildly significant and represents a egregious level of irresponsibility and a total lack of concern for the nation.

For those who do not know how seriously keeping even basic classified material secure is taken---much less nuclear material---consider this:

Let's say you work at CIA, in the field or HQ. If HQ, the entire property is secure and requires showing a badge to enter the grounds from Rte 123 or GW Parkway. Then to get into the building, one's badge needs to pass the scanner. Then one's branch probably has a cypher lock door. One's office might have an additional cypher lock. The computer is off when not in use, and a password is required to access anything on it. There is no thumb drive slot. There is a special signal generator to mask the sound of computer keys being struck, since the sound of individual keys can actually be read....just is case some hostile service has a laser listener aimed at the room's window (which would vibrate a certain frequency depending on the sound), though the window's too, are special and damp vibrations. Hard copy docs are in special safes, locked.

So getting all the way into one's office---on compound, in the building, into the branch, into the office---is not easy.

Still, if one so much as leaves a piece of paper with one's real name on it on the desk (if one is under cover) that constitutes a security violation. Get a few sec vios, and one is investigated, likely placed on leave, and equally likely fired.

The degree of difference between a real name piece of paper vs something nuke related is gigantic. Still, even minor security violations have serious consequences. Imagine something as critical as nuclear.

45 could be in truly serious trouble, since he was well aware he had no right to hold such material.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

If the AG is leaking stuff about nuclear codes etc. being in the big pile, that's too much of a ramp up of expectations and a climb down afterwards.

They've got him, they've got him good, and miscreants like Ted Cruz are sweating that 3 PM deadline.

I notice the trump defenders have cleared out here, other than one abstruse worrier about stuff, you know, just left lying around -which is virtually nobody's fault, am I right?

• Haha 1

Trump’s hard core supporters should think about placing patriotism to America than Trump. The Nuclear capabilities documents can compromise US national security if fallen to foreign intelligences agency. 

Documents about nuclear weapons capabilities are highly sensitive and restricted to a small number of government officials for good reasons. Details about nuclear weapons could provide foreign agencies with a road map to build ways to counter those systems. 

• Like 1

Unless he renegs on his capitalized post ENCOURAGING release of ALL (conveniently unspecified) documents before 3 PM of Friday, it's going to be a great weekend to read CNN.

I'm going to, you know, do my own research.

3 hours ago, SunnyinBangrak said:

An ex President had documents related to nuclear stuff securely locked up at home?? Whatever next?! I wonder if he went so far as to sell our uranium to Russia? That would be extremely bad, wouldn't it.

I can see that you have your finger on the pulse of everything, in particular World Trade.

US actually imports most of it's uranium and a lot of it from Russia!

• Like 1

On 8/11/2022 at 1:49 AM, riclag said:

Newsweek:

"The effort to keep the raid low-key failed: instead, it prompted a furious response from GOP leaders and Trump supporters. "What a spectacular backfire," says the Justice official".

"I know that there is much speculation out there that this is political persecution, but it is really the best and the worst of the bureaucracy in action," the official says. "

Voting midterms in the USA, just went viral imop

More from the same article "In February, Archivist David Ferriero testified before Congress that his agency began talking with Trump's people right after they left office and that the Trump camp had already returned 15 boxes of documents to the Archives."

So they already had proof that he had taken 15 boxes which is a crime. Now they took 10 more boxes.

• Sad 1

18 minutes ago, michael87 said:

Not good, NEVER trust the FBI, especially when they come up with the outlandish and ridiculous "nuclear doc option" leak. 

If I was you instead of hysterics mirroring the truth social tweets of Trump and his right wing conspiracy theory foot-soldiers why not be a little patient and wait for the results of the investigation and the release of the warrant details, something Trump failed to do.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Walker88 said:

It's all over the media now.

"Docs related to nuclear weapons"

One would be hard pressed to understand why a Game Show host would need to retain Top Secret docs related to nuclear weapons. Certainly it's both dangerous to have such material at a private club, besides being a felony.

There's actually a funny irony hidden in this:

The QAnon drivel was started by a guy claiming to have a "Q Clearance", which was portrayed as a super duper top top top only the select few with access to everything everywhere clearance.

What a Q Clearance actually is is a clearance that gives one access to nuke related intel. It's not a big deal, but someone who works the North Korea or Iran target, or who needs to visit Los Alamos or Oak Ridge, might need to add that to his TS/SCI

You should get a job with the WP - they need more fiction writers. 

Meanwhile back at the ranch:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-62512360

So maybe we'll get some real news later today.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, heybruce said:

For those who can get past the paywall:  https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/2022/08/11/garland-trump-mar-a-lago/

IF this is true, it is a really BFD.  There is no legitimate reason and no excuse for highly classified nuclear information to be at Mar-a-Lago. 

I'm tempted to speculate on why Trump would want such documents, but I'll wait for more information.

Speculate. Why not?

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

More from the same article "In February, Archivist David Ferriero testified before Congress that his agency began talking with Trump's people right after they left office and that the Trump camp had already returned 15 boxes of documents to the Archives."

So they already had proof that he had taken 15 boxes which is a crime. Now they took 10 more boxes.

Well, they can claim it was by mistake. As staffers said, Trump refused to accept that he was going to have to vacate the White House until very late in the game so packing was a last minute thing. Although given how rightwingers called for Hillary Clinton's imprisonment, it does mark them as being massively hypocritical.

• Haha 1