Melatonin for sleep,any good

bert bloggs

I have a long history of sleeping problems.  Melatonin 10mg works well most of the time for me but is unreliable.  On nights when I *really* need to sleep it doesn't do anything.  Makes me think there's a placebo effect at least in part.

If I've nothing to do the next day, Atarax knocks me out and get a good night's sleep but I'll likely feel drowsy the next or at least take longer than usual to be fully alert in the morning.  Atarax is an antihistamine and I think is prescription only, but I've never had much problem buying in Thailand.

In the past I have been prescribed Stilnox and it is brilliant. 10mg tablet gives solid 8 hrs.  And for me it's 'clean' ie no side effects and feel great in the morning.  But but but don't drink alcohol if you're taking Stilnox.  It can interact and make you do crazy things you have no memory of.  (Google re 'Ambien' in USA for properly crazy stories what people do.)

Stilnox is also prescription only.  But I think you can also find it 'over the counter' (ahem) in Thailand.

8 hours ago, internationalism said:

lazada 10mg 100 pills some 420b, producer "21st century" from the usa.

Some half pill so 5mg 30 minutes before sleep.

Might also be used during covid infection, but larger dose

I use 10 mg, as suggested by my well experienced doctor, no known short or long-term side effects, not addictive. I take 1 tab 30-40 minutes before bed, sound asleep within 5 to 10 mnutes, good sleep, no 'hangover'.

I buy on line from well established US supplier. Takes about 10 to 14 days. Tpt costs incl, minimal because it's shared in bulk until arrival in LOS.

About 380Baht for 120 x 10 mg tabs includes delivery to the door. Same supplier also sells 5 mg. I think it's against the website rules to quote supplier details, PM to me if you want supplier name/website address etc. 

Edited by scorecard

People vary both in whether it helps and at what dosage.

Brands also vary.

I use Puritan Pride 10 mg (get from Lazada) and it definitely helps me.  I also  occasionally take a fast dissolving 5 mg if I wake up 4 am-ish.

Melatonin helps induce a natural sleepiness. It does not knock you out as such.

6 hours ago, proton said:

Gets me to sleep, but wake up after a couple of hours. I read higher dose has no more effect than small ones.

The way I understand it, the original dosage on the drug when it was first introduced was 0.3 mg, or 300 micrograms. The larger dosages are for marketing purposes only. I take 1/4 of a 5mg tablet daily. Taking 5 or 10mg has a result that is no different than taking 0.5mg.

Melatonin is not your typical sleeping aid which knocks you out. It just gives you a bit of a nudge towards sleep. This nudge is sufficient for some.

• Like 1

Melatonin does absolutely nothing for me. I suppose everyone's physiology is different.

I take Codiphen ( drowsy antihistamine ) once a week, which I buy very cheaply at a Chiang Mai pharmacy, 50 baht for a box of ten tablets. 8 - 9 hours of good sleep.

I have also recently discovered 25 mg of THC in an edible cannabis cookie prior to bedtime acts as a sedative and pain reliever to boot.

I found Melatonin helpful when I had sleep issues. Life Extension brand has a slow release 1.5 mg version which I found good.

With sleep problems, it is helpful if you can isolate the root cause – there are many possible causes. Taking supplements or pharmaceuticals to get to sleep is useful in the short-term but  you really don’t want to be doing it long-term, if possible.

There are many possible reasons why someone may struggle to get to sleep, or wake up in the middle of the night and not be able to get back to sleep. If you can identify the root cause and deal with that then sleep should – hopefully – not continue to be an issue.

• 1 month later...
On 8/20/2022 at 11:21 AM, FritsSikkink said:

Didn't work for me, can't remember the dose as it was ages ago.

Same here. Tried a long time ago.

Antihistamines work for me. Specifically , Domirax. Works very well for myself , wife , sister in law and mother in law.

Downside is will leave you drowsy the next day. To counter this we just take half a tab. Still works.

20 baht a sheet of 10.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Denim said:

Same here. Tried a long time ago.

Antihistamines work for me. Specifically , Domirax. Works very well for myself , wife , sister in law and mother in law.

Downside is will leave you drowsy the next day. To counter this we just take half a tab. Still works.

20 baht a sheet of 10.

I can't find an antihistamine of that name.

Did you mean dormirax?

But it's  not an antihistamine.

https://pillintrip.com/medicine/dormirax

8 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I can't find an antihistamine of that name.

Did you mean dormirax?

But it's  not an antihistamine.

https://pillintrip.com/medicine/dormirax

Yes....thats the one . From that link it says :

Dormirax injection is used to used to help control anxiety and tension caused by dental, nervous, and emotional conditions. It can also be used to help control anxiety and produce sleep before and after surgery. Dormirax is also used to relieve symptoms of an allergic reaction (eg, hives, itching skin) caused by asthma and chronic urticaria.

Dormirax is an antihistamine. It works by preventing the effects of a substance called histamine, which is produced by the body. Dormirax is also used to control anxiety withdrawal symptoms in alcoholic patients. It is also used to control nausea and vomiting symptoms, and relieve anxiety in patients with certain heart disease.

P16072020195357.jpg

Edited by Denim
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Denim said:

Yes....thats the one . From that link it says :

Dormirax injection is used to used to help control anxiety and tension caused by dental, nervous, and emotional conditions. It can also be used to help control anxiety and produce sleep before and after surgery. Dormirax is also used to relieve symptoms of an allergic reaction (eg, hives, itching skin) caused by asthma and chronic urticaria.

Dormirax is an antihistamine. It works by preventing the effects of a substance called histamine, which is produced by the body. Dormirax is also used to control anxiety withdrawal symptoms in alcoholic patients. It is also used to control nausea and vomiting symptoms, and relieve anxiety in patients with certain heart disease.

P16072020195357.jpg

Is that what you're taking, half of 25?

That's a pill you can split not a capsule I assume?

Are you taking it long term or only for shorter time periods?

3 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Is that what you're taking, half of 25?

That's a pill you can split not a capsule I assume?

Are you taking it long term or only for shorter time periods?

I split the pill down the middle ( there is a convenient groove ).

I don't take it on a regular basis. Only if I have had a couple of nights where I haven't slept well and am feeling worn out. On average a sheet of 10 lasts me about 3 months. It's just there if I need a good sleep.

I should say it does not make you fall asleep of itself but rather once you do fall asleep you sleep a bit deeper and somewhat longer.

• Haha 1

Be careful buying it off of Lazada. This was the first purchase I have had go bad, but with so many vendors it was bound to happen. Thankfully I received a full refund in just 4 days. Take a look what was ordered and what was delivered. No label or writing on either the tablets or mini vial, there were 10 inside. Even Lazada was shocked at the rip off. Some of it was on me as I did not even take the time to notice it was coming from China. I will no longer purchase anything coming from there.

191145_1.jpg

IMG_20220921_143443.jpg

• Haha 1

I have positive experience with melatonin. However, others may not experience the same effect 

Also, quality magnesium tablets are my favourite. (Not magnesium oxide)

Edited by garrya

I take l-theanine and also GABA. L-theanine is good to take during the day if you need to feel a sense of calm and GABA is more to take at night to help you sleep. I used to take Melatonin only and it did work for me for the most part but I prefer L-theanine and GABA. Bought at one of the drug stores in the ground level of Central Festival Pattaya, they have it showing in the store window.

• 1 month later...
On 10/1/2022 at 1:48 PM, Ohyesuare said:

I take l-theanine and also GABA. L-theanine is good to take during the day if you need to feel a sense of calm and GABA is more to take at night to help you sleep. I used to take Melatonin only and it did work for me for the most part but I prefer L-theanine and GABA. Bought at one of the drug stores in the ground level of Central Festival Pattaya, they have it showing in the store window.

May I ask you where you get the L-Theanine and the GABA exactly ? I have been to Fascino today and they do not have it.

Then I searched for "i-Herb" on the net and was directed to an i-Herb site only in Thai language with no recognizable possibility to change the language.

I have not been to Central yet as you say. Was this in Boots then ? My wife just tells me there is a shop at the ground level exactly as you said. Will have a look tomorow. And may someone tell me how I can order anything in i-Herb (link) ?

Thanks a lot.

9 minutes ago, moogradod said:

May I ask you where you get the L-Theanine and the GABA exactly ? I have been to Fascino today and they do not have it.

Then I searched for "i-Herb" on the net and was directed to an i-Herb site only in Thai language with no recognizable possibility to change the language.

I have not been to Central yet as you say. Was this in Boots then ? My wife just tells me there is a shop at the ground level exactly as you said. Will have a look tomorow. And may someone tell me how I can order anything in i-Herb (link) ?

Thanks a lot.

Lazada

• Thanks 1

On 10/1/2022 at 1:48 PM, Ohyesuare said:

At the dedicated drugstore on the ground level of Central Festival they did not have it. However, they had GABA (10 Tablets 120 thb). So I bought 20 to try it out. They wanted to sell me Melatonin of which I know it does not work for me. The other shops (Boots etc.) in Central did not have it either.

But there are hundreds of smaller pharmacies all over Pattaya and even if Fascino does not have it there might be a chance that some smaler shop still has it. Has anyone seen L-Theanine somewhere and may tell me where ?. Or has this substance suddenly become illegal (happend with other medicaments which I know) and is not sold anymore ?

Then the question would remain open if it would be allowed to import it via Lazada as @Jingthing suggests if it were available online. The other problem then: How to choose from the several dozens of offers, different manufacturers, different suppliers and of course no advice (there is no advice today as well, the "pharmacists" did not even seem to know what L-Theanine is). At least one consulted her smart phone.....

Once the legal situation with some of former illegal substances becomes crystal clear (written law), this might then again change the situation.

After all, all I need is a help for falling alsleep and possiibly staying sleepy for a prolonged period. I am sure I am one out of millions that would appreciate a bit of help in this area, but I can as well not smoke anything for this my lung would not allow me. Must be edible somehow.

8 minutes ago, moogradod said:

At the dedicated drugstore on the ground level of Central Festival they did not have it. However, they had GABA (10 Tablets 120 thb). So I bought 20 to try it out. They wanted to sell me Melatonin of which I know it does not work for me. The other shops (Boots etc.) in Central did not have it either.

But there are hundreds of smaller pharmacies all over Pattaya and even if Fascino does not have it there might be a chance that some smaler shop still has it. Has anyone seen L-Theanine somewhere and may tell me where ?. Or has this substance suddenly become illegal (happend with other medicaments which I know) and is not sold anymore ?

Then the question would remain open if it would be allowed to import it via Lazada as @Jingthing suggests if it were available online. The other problem then: How to choose from the several dozens of offers, different manufacturers, different suppliers and of course no advice (there is no advice today as well, the "pharmacists" did not even seem to know what L-Theanine is). At least one consulted her smart phone.....

Once the legal situation with some of former illegal substances becomes crystal clear (written law), this might then again change the situation.

After all, all I need is a help for falling alsleep and possiibly staying sleepy for a prolonged period. I am sure I am one out of millions that would appreciate a bit of help in this area, but I can as well not smoke anything for this my lung would not allow me. Must be edible somehow.

Lazada has both L Theanine and Gaba that ships from Thailand. There are no import or legal issues.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/20/2022 at 2:14 PM, surfinglife said:

Lie down,  asleep within two minutes,  wake up when ready in the morning.  Works for me,  a lot healthier and cheaper that way. 

Doesn't seem to address your smugness issues though does it. 

• Haha 2