Down and out in England.

3 hours ago, proton said:

Having to teach (when not a teacher) just to survive in any South East Asian country sounds desperate, he's better off back home.

You may have a point, if I had a home... 

Things going from bad to worse at the moment, I'll post back when/if things take a turn for the better. 

(Thanks to hotandsticky for the dark humour.) 

Edited by Thujone
Added thanks.
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, Thujone said:

You may have a point, if I had a home... 

Things going from bad to worse at the moment, I'll post back when/if things take a turn for the better. 

(Thanks to hotandsticky for the dark humour.) 

How old are you?

5 hours ago, CharlieH said:

60+

Vague but never mind.

@OP..... I was listening to More radio this morning. They cover East and West Sussex. 

There were a couple of recruitment ads.

One was as a care/support worker. These jobs require no experience. Training give once in the job.

Starting rates were £13 an hour.

Can't remember the name of the company. Sorry.

Google is your friend 

• Thumbs Up 1

15 hours ago, Phnom Penh Trader said:

I am absolutely staggered that they have you anywhere in the first place as a white,single male in the UK you (we) are utterly worthless?

I was rather surprised that he was given accommodation as well , maybe his Council had some spare available accommodation at the time , single guys are usually given the addresses of hostel for the night and told to go there .

It could be quite an important point for some older guys in Thailand , who would expect to be given a council flat if they go back to the UK 

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 8/21/2022 at 8:55 AM, CharlieH said:

Contact Age Concern, they may be able to help.

Next would be Salvation Army or Samaritans as a suggestion.

What area are you originally from ?

There is a pinned info topic on "going back" that may also help.

Originally based in Blackpool, which is where I would be looking to return to. 

And thanks for the link.

3 hours ago, Terry2905 said:

Originally based in Blackpool, which is where I would be looking to return to. 

And thanks for the link.

At least they mostly speak Englsih, bit like Pattaya but without the girls ???? It will be hard at first but you can get used to anything, and the pension date is not that far off.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
2 minutes ago, theoldgit said:

I’m not sure that migrants are welcome with open arms, many arrive in the UK illegally and we’re more or less stuck with them until they can they can be removed.

If you’re detained then of course you will be put in some sort of detention accommodation, you cannot detain people on the streets.

it is very difficult to find accommodation for Immigration Detainees, nobody wants Immigration Removal Centres in their back yard, people complain if they’re accommodated on barges or two to a room in a run down seaside hotel, the Government are really on a hiding to nothing, they’re damned if they do and damned if they don’t.

it’s really not easy to get rid of illegal immigrants or failed asylum seekers, you can’t just put an undocumented person on a plane and expect the destination country to accept them without question.

l have every sympathy with the OP and people in a similar position, including military veterans, but those are separate issue which  do need to be addressed.

Spot on.

• Like 1

On 9/8/2023 at 1:10 PM, scubascuba3 said:

Hard to believe they let someone become homeless and for a long period but yet a migrant arriving on a dingy gets put up into a hotel immediately on arrival

British citizens have social security and housing laws to protect them and also housing benefit to stop homelessness and Brits are also expected to work to pay for their accommodation .

Boat immigrants cannot work or claim benefits .

I do sympathise with the O.P , but he did opt out of U.K life and headed to warmer climes without much planning for his future.

You cannot expect to spend the productive years of your life partying in Pattaya and then go back to the U.K and be given a house to live in .

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Doesn't seem to be much use in the Ops case

That is because he opted out of U.K life .

Had he remained in the U.K and remained in a home, there would have been protection laws to keep him in his home and he could have applied for housing benefit to pay his rent .

He can still apply for housing benefit , the only problem would be finding a property that will accept him, due to his lack of accountability  caused by him being abroad .

Nothing more satisfying then kicking someone when there down.

How nasty and unbritish of some posters,

Some posters are a 100% up themselves.

His a brit.

Not an Afghan, Albanian, Indian, Pakistani, Nigerian, somalin.

Iranian, just to mention a few,  who turn up on our doorstep everyday.

with there hands out.

Shame on some of you. :bah:

Edited by quake
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, quake said:

Nothing more satisfying then kicking someone when there down.

How nasty and unbritish of some posters,

Some posters are a 100% up themselves.

His a brit.

Not an Afghan, Albanian, Indian, Pakistani, Nigerian, somalin.

just to mention a few,  who turn up on our doorstep everyday.

with there hands out.

Shame on some of you. :bah:

He is a Brit who left the U.K to live abroad and only went back to the U.K because he didn't have much other choice