Scammers are bombarding Thai customers with spam numbers

webfact

Just now, Photoguy21 said:
5 hours ago, Bim Smith said:

Also 065 and 092. On the 20thAugust I got three in one day. Never answer anyone that's not in my contacts.

Could just let them talk as while they are talking to you they are not scamming others

Not every unknown number is a scammer and some people do actually "dial" wrong numbers.

It's not just spam calls that are a major problem, but also spam SMS messages. 

Often the SMS sender is only identified with a name and no number. Hence no way to block as it is not a number. 

And some have a method of subscribing you, forcing you to unsubscribe manually after losing credit from your phone account from their 'weekly subscription fee' (theft). 

Nice little earner for the scammers if they have millions of numbers to spam. 

The thieving criminal bas####s got a few baht from me.

Telcos don't have a 2-factor identification security setup it appears to add a layer of ID confirmation to prevent auto subscriptions.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jcmj said:

They will just change numbers. On a message or call after stopped Just hit info and block the caller. I’m still getting them almost every day. Keep blocking. 

A pain in the rear end... time Thailand got tough and route them out.

10 hours ago, jcmj said:

They will just change numbers.

Why doesn't the Thai gov't just do like they do with motor bikes going down the wrong side of the road. Just pass a law against them. Boy, that will stop them in their tracks.

2 hours ago, aussienam said:

Hence no way to block as it is not a number. 

I have found a way to do this with Android. If you use the Microsoft phone link on a Windows  laptop an apparent phone number is shown on it, which you can then block on the phone.

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1

These clowns have been calling me too. This all started since I used my phone number on the Thailand Pass website. I never give out my phone number and this is the only time I have so that system was never secure. 

C172573E-6973-4A2B-82F2-CC6DB44DFEBF.png

D853B953-50BB-4FE5-98A9-7A04126E3B92.png

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Bim Smith said:

Also 065 and 092. On the 20thAugust I got three in one day. Never answer anyone that's not in my contacts.

fyi, my wife has a several year old mobile number assigned direct from AIS that's an 092 prefix.

And, I've noticed, lately I've had a couple Grab delivery drivers calling me on 065 prefix numbers...

So clearly, those two prefixes are not entirely disreputable.

55 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

fyi, my wife has a several year old mobile number assigned direct from AIS that's an 092 prefix.

And, I've noticed, lately I've had a couple Grab delivery drivers calling me on 065 prefix numbers...

So clearly, those two prefixes are not entirely disreputable.

I’ve had the same number for over 15 years.... the last 6 month has been ridiculous. 

While overseas I’ve activated ‘wifi calling’ so I can receive my OTP (Banking), but that also means I continued to get disturbed by this utter BS from a different timezone !!!....  

....  it it me, or is scamming becoming more and more widespread and seemingly an acceptable and expected facet of the modern world ????

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

While overseas I’ve activated ‘wifi calling’ so I can receive my OTP (Banking), but that also means I continued to get disturbed by this utter BS from a different timezone !!!....  

You can receive that overseas?

7 minutes ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

i love these calls..gives me a chance to troll them..different voices..etc....scam the scammers

they end up hanging up on me...then i call them back!

The most insulting facet of the BS scam calls I get....   they’re recorded !!!...

So I’m disturbed by someone who can’t even be bothered to make the call themselves.

Not that I can even be bothered to abuse them if it is a person....  I’m beyond that I think, they’re just below acknowledging their existence... but with a ‘recorded message scam call’ I can’t even refuse to acknowledge the existence of something which is not sentient !! 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

The most insulting facet of the BS scam calls I get....   they’re recorded !!!...

So I’m disturbed by someone who can’t even be bothered to make the call themselves.

Not that I can even be bothered to abuse them if it is a person....  I’m beyond that I think, they’re just below acknowledging their existence... but with a ‘recorded message scam call’ I can’t even refuse to acknowledge the existence of something which is not sentient !! 

i like the AI calls --is fun trying to trick the machines....but they end up hanging up on me

sidenote some call to record you to use your voice in scams or hacks.....so i always ude fake voices ----usually use my hard of hearing grandpa voice!

53 minutes ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

i like the AI calls --is fun trying to trick the machines....but they end up hanging up on me

sidenote some call to record you to use your voice in scams or hacks.....so i always ude fake voices ----usually use my hard of hearing grandpa voice!

AI calls? I just get taped messages.

I get robo-calls telling me my car's extended warranty is about to expire.  They never say if it's the Rolls or the Bentley, though.  :tongue:

There is a device available to anyone that allows the monitoring of traffic on cellular systems (costs a few thousand $$$ last I heard).  They can't listen in but they can tell what number called another number, length of connection, maybe even geo-location.  That's probably how they got your number.  By not answering it may discourage future calls, but by rejecting or answering it gives them confirmation that it is a valid number and can then be added to a list and then sold.  

Blocking a number doesn't help, as the caller's number is spoofed.  In the US they will spoof the area codes to your own, this way you're led to think it is someone in your neighborhood and you'll pick up.

On 8/23/2022 at 8:03 AM, Calvin1976 said:

Unknown calls can just  be ignored and don't answer.

How about unknown/unfamiliar sms that contained a link (bit.ly/XXXXXX)?

Can we block unknown sms? ????

On a iPhone you get a message (sic) This is from an unknown person,  Delete and report junk?  Once reported you never get a message from that number ever again.