Thai women and Feelings

Momenteer

Dear Community,

I have seen many postings in this forum around Thai women and relationships. There is one question I am struggling with and maybe the one or other can enlighten me a little bit.

I spend two long term relationships with Thai women. Seeing married for 15 years with a Thai who grew up in France since she was a teenager and after my divorce many years later a one year relationship with an Isaan woman.

In both cases their ability to talk about their feelings was very limited, compared to European women. They both could talked endless about other things in her life or how bad they were feeling with ex-boyfriends or husbands, but being able to talk about what they feel in our relationship was pretty much non existing.  Especially when it came to conflict situations where such kind of discussions are important in my opinion to find a common solution, their solution approach was rather to cook something and try to avoid any discussion. 

I want to understand for myself if this was specific in my relationships and may have something to do with me and my selection of woman or if this is general cultural thing. How do you perceive this in your long term relationships? I talking about women in the age between 30 and 45.

Thank you and best regards

Momenteer

21 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

What's the age gap between you and the women? were they genuine relationships? i.e. not based on money. The reason they can't talk about it is because they don't feel it

The age gap was 2 years and 12 years. Both relationship were not based on money (except in my marriage where she stayed at home when our son was born)

21 minutes ago, KIngsofisaan said:

I think the key question you should ask yourself, is how well of a listener are you?

Thank you for your input.

I guess listening and being trusted has never been an issue for me. In fact most females (European and Thai) tell me things about their live that they have told nobody else.

Also being the "Boss" is less my issue. I have to be that all day in the job and being known there as strong alpha male, so I am very happy to live and let live in my private life.

However conflicts can occur in every relationship and I believe only by understanding the feelings of each other could create solutions and new and closer ways to live together on an emotional base. But this is exactly the point where I was missing the ability for self-reflection and the ability to talk about their feelings with me. 

You mentioned that your wife is expressing her feelings for you every time. And that is what I perceive as normal and did from my side, but what I was missing many times from the women.

• Like 1

It's so sad...all these men without a cue/Thai women have feelings just the same as anyone else - so there's one hurdle to get over. How any Thai person expresses their feelings has cutlural and linguistic differences from "westerners" - but surely after being in a relationship for a year or two you can work that out.

Tere is tendency towards fridge magnet philosophies, but you're meant to understand what they mean when they talk like that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KIngsofisaan said:

There you go ALPHA MALE.

You already answered your own questions.

Do you want a maid? A slave? Or do you want someone being with you that is happy all the time?

Do you know how to use a washing machine and dryer? Then wash your own damn clothes. Your arms aren't broken are they?

She is not your servant, even if you think otherwise.

Maybe if she rather do other things than be with you, look in the mirror?

The ALPHA DOG is not getting the answers he expects so now he is all upset.

The ALPHA DOG initiates the conflict to forcefully get the answers he wants to hear.

Maybe try meeting all her expectations instead of her having to meet all your expectations is a good start.

Some men just do not get it and never do.

If I had a choice between going to footie or going to the ballet (wife's idea), I would go to the ballet 10 out 10.

I have seen a lot of football already in my life and can always watch a rerun if I missed it that much.

Some men are just so darn happy and blessed to want to please their wives.

HAPPY WIFE, HAPPY LIFE

If you try to make her live your ALPHA MALE life, she won't be around long

I suspect she thought her life was going to be better with you and is finding out that is not the case.

Lot of Thai's get married to farangs thinking they will be taken care of and have a better life.

Until they learn about the ALPHA DOG!

You need to settle down and understand her needs and expectations.

You are a grown man that can take care of himself.

How about being a real man and take care of her?

Nothing wrong with being  an Alpha male...better than a whinger

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Lacessit said:

when I have to put my foot down,

oh my! 

4 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I think she accepts I know more than her.

sure? she accepts your superiority? As you have said before, she thinks the sun shines out your butt - which is probably the most demeaning thing I have ever heard anyone say about another person.. anywhere. Ever. 

• Like 2

My wife is an oddball having grown up in the US as a teenager.

But she's a helluva lot more willing and able to verbalize her feelings than I am.

And of course as any human would she uses this power dynamic to her advantage.

She outpours her anger, I capitulate, problem solved lol.

But seriously I think we both express feeling equally to each other, the good and the bad, albeit she does it more loudly!

Edited by GinBoy2
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

Interesting perspective.

Depends where you are in life.

Now if I had a short term girlfriend, I probably wouldn't give a rats ass about her feelings.

Now if I'm talking about a wife/partner of 20 years of course I want to know and understand her feelings, as I hope she would mine

Of coursw we need to know about feelings but emotions show and don't need talking about. Talking about feelings is idiocy and narcissism or manipulation. Look at the current generation  of a lister hypocrites talking about feelings- just as a form of self promotion. I would go so far as to say talking about  feelings herald the  death of a relationship.  Talking about feelings is quite different  from having feelings  and emotions. Women sulk to gets stuff- infantile regression- men rage to get stuff it infantile regression. What's to talk  about?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, habuspasha said:

Like many Thais, my GF/Wife is very conflict avoidant.  She doesn't talk to her mother, for instance, because she fears it would lead to a fight.  There have been times when she and I disagreed about something and she wouldn't explain her position because she didn't want "to fight with me" (an impossibility I told her).  She would walk away instead.  On other occasions, I might see that she was upset about something and I would ask her what was wrong.  The answer was always "nothing."  After maybe two or three more attempts, she might finally open up, slowly and gradually.  If I listened sympathetically, the long story would finally spill out.  Similarly a direct "How do you feel" would always lead to "I'm fine," with discussion closed from there without careful excavation.  

After two marriages with super expressive Italians, I sometimes find Thai reticence refreshing.

It's funny how these things work out.

The contrast between my American and Thai wife couldn't be more extreme.

My American wife was/is very in control of her emotions.

Reticence isn't in the toolbox of my Thai wife. I'm made abundantly and instantly clear whats going on in her head!

• Like 2