"Thanks to everyone from the bottom of this little girl's heart" - HIV girl overwhelmed by generosity

webfact

4 minutes ago, pjmorton said:

It's not fair to assume the worst of people, but those who contributed should consider some form of long-term oversight. Trust, but verify.

ive had  dealings with one "charitable"  foundation here, it  was the winding up of the will of a foreigner in which he'd  left some real etstae to the charity............never  seen such a pack of  money hungry grabbers  in all my  life, like a pack of  hyenas.......childrens foundation, constantly demanding this that and the other., pushing all the time.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, BKKTRAVELER said:

That would really suck. I wouldn't be that surprised but hope people around her will be decent. Time will tell.

Remember we are living in the land where Buddha has taught its followers only three important things.. Money, more money and what’s the easiest way to make a buck

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

I would also contribute a little per month if I was assured 100% of it was going to Jaa.

ASEAN, are you able to guarantee 100% every baht donated will go directly to Jaa?

Also, can the money be accessible by Jaa when she turns 18?  Sounds like the 'trustees' will be managing her affairs forever ???? 

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

This story may turn  out good,or very bad later on.The teachers who control the money  maybe the winners we don,t know yet.Very kind to help her but let,s hope it does not bite them on the rear.All that money and the teachers don,t get a baht.Somehow  they would expect something in return

The fact that school directors and teachers steal the paltry amount that is supposed to go towards school lunches 900+k baht will be too much of a temptation.

There should be a independent trustee with regular oversight, not teachers.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, AndyFoxy said:

School director…..trustees…..manage money. 

I think I can see what will happen.

Agree but in situations like this I am reminded of the admonishment “Vengeance is mine, and recompense …”

17 hours ago, webfact said:

She said that the school director had set up a committee of trustees who will make sure that the money is spent properly.

I fear that "committee" of bureaucrats more than I would have feared that this - apparently modest and sensible - girl would have done something reckless.

Hopefully they can resist the temptation to get their grubby fingers on her money. 

4 hours ago, Dukeleto said:

I think the folk at ASEAN should set up an account for the young lady and pay it to her directly as she needs it. I would continue to donate if that was the case. Under the current setup (described after donating) I am now hesitant to continue.

Your bizarre suggestion will never materialise, of course, but, even so, why do you gratuitously insult those Thai people by assuming that their clearly identifiable group, already in positions of responsibility who can be held to account, must be less honest and trustworthy than another group of (with all due respect) anonymous foreigners, of whom you know nothing and whose actions could never be validated and who would never have to answer to  anyone?   

I'm not suggesting anything untoward about anyone I'm just making a comparison of two glaringly different groups (one hypothetical, of course).

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Thanks 2

53 minutes ago, lujanit said:

The fact that school directors and teachers steal the paltry amount that is supposed to go towards school lunches 900+k baht will be too much of a temptation.

There should be a independent trustee with regular oversight, not teachers.

As other posters have said, it would be best if AS/TV got involved.

• Confused 1

18 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

What a great bunch of foreigners, doing something so incredibly kind and helpful for this needy Thai person. ????????

Thais and foreigners alike... well done to all.

I hope the trustees are as diligent as the girl.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, dallen52 said:

I hope Buddha's looking out for her

:cheesy:

NO superstition required. She most likely been praying to "Buddha" most of her life with zero results. A single pair of hand doing is worth infinitely more than a billion pair clasped in prayer. 

Actual people are looking out for her with all the kind and generous donations. Bet no monk or wat donated a single baht. 

• Like 2

With a weary acceptance wasn't it always likely that given a fantastic story such as this, the tone of the thread would be negative! (sigh).

Most of the negativity on this just reinforces the deserved perception of the online expat. 

I know two thai teachers and they both work their <deleted> off well beyond their contractual hours to do the best for their students, often having to act as a social worker for the poorer students too,  so why does anyone suppose that AseanNow staff are anymore trustworthy (I'm sure they are) than a teacher ? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, damo1967 said:

I would also contribute a little per month if I was assured 100% of it was going to Jaa.

ASEAN, are you able to guarantee 100% every baht donated will go directly to Jaa?

Also, can the money be accessible by Jaa when she turns 18?  Sounds like the 'trustees' will be managing her affairs forever ???? 

I don't like the sound of ' trustees ' either.  Why can't she have her money in an account and Jaa have the bank book , only she has access to it and can take out what she wants when she needs it ?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1