How True is "the smiles are fake"?

Brian Nose

6 hours ago, HappyExpat57 said:

I've found generally  if you are genuinely nice to them, they will respond in like kind. If you p!ss one of them off, however, you better have your affairs in order.

Yeah, the go cannibal pretty quickly.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, 1FinickyOne said:

If you think that every smile means 'I am hot for you' - then yes, in your world the smile will often be fake..

So if someone smiles a genuine smile of being pleased to see someone, but that someone believes that the smile means the smiler is hot for them, it renders the smile fake, but only in the mind of the smile beholder?

The smile would still objectively be a genuine smile though, right?

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

So if someone smiles a genuine smile of being pleased to see someone, but that someone believes that the smile means the smiler is hot for them, it renders the smile fake, but only in the mind of the smile beholder?

The smile would still objectively be a genuine smile though, right?

yes.... 

13 hours ago, 1FinickyOne said:

That is not a fake smile - it is a real smile that has a meaning - that is a smile that means i don't really want to be here... [and maybe - but I am trying to make the best of it to be polite to you ] nothing fake about it unless you have only one interpretation of what a smile is supposed to mean.. 

You know, if you don't recognize that there are different ways of communicating in different cultures, you are probably not going to get it... 

Well, if we are to use a word to describe something and its contrary, this will definitely make it difficult to 'get it'.

What emotions cause the behavior of smiling?

The behavior of smiling is usually associated with positive emotions like happiness, excitement, appeasement, and gratitude.

A smirk that means something else, like "mot wanting to be here", is simply not a smile. Described in this post as a "fake smile".

Because it is difficult to make a facial expression 'lie', And people can see the conflict between the true emotion and what is shown in a facial expression, trying to hide this true emotion. So the word 'smile', is used, but adding the word 'fake' to it, to distinguish between what facial expression they see, and what emotion they perceive.

1 hour ago, Andre0720 said:

Well, if we are to use a word to describe something and its contrary, this will definitely make it difficult to 'get it'.

What emotions cause the behavior of smiling?

The behavior of smiling is usually associated with positive emotions like happiness, excitement, appeasement, and gratitude.

A smirk that means something else, like "mot wanting to be here", is simply not a smile. Described in this post as a "fake smile".

Because it is difficult to make a facial expression 'lie', And people can see the conflict between the true emotion and what is shown in a facial expression, trying to hide this true emotion. So the word 'smile', is used, but adding the word 'fake' to it, to distinguish between what facial expression they see, and what emotion they perceive.

probably true in your culture... not necessarily in another culture. 

19 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

probably true in your culture... not necessarily in another culture. 

Are basic emotions cross cultural?

Conclusion. In this study we show that a number of emotions are cross-culturally recognized from vocal signals, which are perceived as communicating specific affective states. The emotions found to be recognized from vocal signals correspond to those universally inferred from facial expressions of emotions (11).

Their smiles are a whole repertoire of SIGNALS. Our western smiles tend to signal 'I like' and not much more and that's what we tend to instinctively think when we're smiled at by a Thai. However their smiles have a whole range of meanings, all of which are GENUINE, not fake.

The real question is: can you decode the signal correctly?

• Like 2

Thais are still good, decent people. They have had decades of nothing much to smile about. Where's your smile? Judge much?

Atrocious govt since 2006

Two coups

Inflation, wages not kept up

Economic disaster ongoing for decades

Millions using their homes (condos) as hotels

Choking their airports.

Tens of millions of foreigners descending in their country, their roads, mass transportation.

22 hours ago, Photoguy21 said:

Often it hides embarrassment

If they don't have it or don't know where they look for it in the shop, it's "Mai me" ( not have) and a smile.  In my local hardware shop the staff basically if they did not know me, and couldn't be bothered dealing with a falang. So they give me the my.me. So I lead them to the product I want and point to it.  Yes, oil-based white undercoat a number of times.!!!!!!  Then "Aye 

mark mark" takes over, and occasionally a surly glance for catching them out.

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, The Deerhunter said:

If they don't have it or don't know where they look for it in the shop, it's "Mai me" ( not have) and a smile.  In my local hardware shop the staff basically if they did not know me, and couldn't be bothered dealing with a falang. So they give me the my.me. So I lead them to the product I want and point to it.  Yes, oil-based white undercoat a number of times.!!!!!!  Then "Aye 

mark mark" takes over, and occasionally a surly glance for catching them out.

Never experienced that but I am sure it happens here just like it does in our home countries.