Counterfeit Goods Worth 173 Million Baht Destroyed

webfact

31 minutes ago, shackleton said:

Buying counterfeit goods in Thailand tourists loved it 

Rolex watches come to mind ????

Friends used to ask me get them one when in Thailand 

Yes on my first visit to BKK many years ago I bought a Rolex , I didn't like the metal strap so on getting back to England I went to a watch shop and asked for a leather strap for my Rolex.  He said ' If I send this to Rolex it will come back smashed to bits '. I said " Hang on there , I paid 12 quid for it ".

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, digger70 said:

Why Destroy the Fake/ Counterfeit goods, Wouldn't be better to give those goods to the Poor people. 

Many Poor people would be happy with such goods. 

Sure they would, they would sell them and buy lao khow

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, itsari said:

Primitive way of disposing unwanted goods .

Recycling would be the way to go .

I have a sneaking suspicion that the Gucci wallets and Croc footware might survive the roadroller treatment. But the Apple phones all have flat batteries.

• Haha 1

My wife worked for a law firm in Bangkok that deals with intelectual property for 7 years. Typically working with international companies trying to protect their Trade Mark goods in Bangkok. 

My wife's said that the law firm would organize raids in conjunction with the RTP on businesses selling trademark goods illegally and quite often when the lawyers and RTP arrived there would be no goods to seize because the illegal seller had been tipped off by someone in the ... 

• Like 1

Ah, the yearly showtime again - this year though in late summer/early autumn. 20, 30 years ago this stage show took place in March. They invited diplomats and the media and after steamrollering the staged "destruction" they all went for lunch. 

On 8/27/2022 at 7:50 AM, digger70 said:

Why Destroy the Fake/ Counterfeit goods, Wouldn't be better to give those goods to the Poor people. 

Many Poor people would be happy with such goods. 

Exactly, this was 40 million  worth of fake bedding and the like seized a few months ago.

surely  it would be better distributed to the poor rather than destruction.

997619989_Screenshot2022-08-28081837.jpg.ed0144665606b48f104b6269d5772705.jpg

Edited by Ralf001
  • Like 2

It really is a joke.

Anyone buying a watch, phone, software, shirt or training shoes at a few pence on the pound is certainly aware that they are counterfeit.

Anyone who shops for such products in markets or lock up shops at the back of Pantip Plaza ( does it still exist?) Is not in the market for the genuine items anyway.

Utterly pointless exercise.

• Like 1

On 8/27/2022 at 6:33 AM, RichardColeman said:

Funny that do not bother confiscating these pirate and fake goods on entry at the ports.

Also, Central in Pattaya now sells fakes quite openly , and yet they turn a blind eye to it

Same in Bangkok's MBK.

Mostly copied fashion items such as handbags, shoes, clothes, sunglasses, etc

On 8/27/2022 at 12:51 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

No, the destroyed goods never had that value.

The "real" goods might have a retail price in that amount. 

One reason fake products exists is because many of those brand name products are vastly overpriced. If those products would be sold for reasonable prices, related to what it cost to produce them, then many pirated products wouldn't exist.

And yes, I know there are a few exceptions.

It's astounding when often you can find counterfeit products at 1/10 the price that are identical to the named brand. However, those many of those copies don't have the R&D and and investment/production costs. It's one thing copying a handbag or a pair of sneakers... not much R&D gone into those, but the mechanical goods are another matter. We had products copied in China and sold on Aliexpress within a couple of months of release, that cost us hundreds of thousands of GBP in R&D and tooling. I saw some of "our" products on show cars/bikes at the BKK motor show too... and I might add, liable to be very dangerous copies too.

• Like 1