Mango juice on car paint

ross163103

My neighbor has a large mango tree--the green type, that overhangs into the street. I don't park under it directly but I still get mango juice on my car. Does anyone know what will take this off the finish. I've tried various penetrating oils, waxes and other things and all have failed to take it off. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.. 

8 minutes ago, peterfranks said:

Try white spirit / turpentine

That could work.  I'm assuming this is more of a tree sap, not "juice".  It's possible that something like strong rubbing alcohol or some type of vegetable oil could act as a solvent and dissolve it.  Worst case, maybe Acetone or nail polish remover.  Always test in an inconspicuous place.

Just now, Damrongsak said:

That could work.  I'm assuming this is more of a tree sap, not "juice".  It's possible that something like strong rubbing alcohol or some type of vegetable oil could act as a solvent and dissolve it.  Worst case, maybe Acetone or nail polish remover.  Always test in an inconspicuous place.

DO NOT use nail varnish remover, you will lose your paint.................????

WD40 or Sonax...

Just now, Damrongsak said:

WD40 is pretty much white spirit and a wee bit of oil.  Nice for cleaning greasy stuff but not a good lubricant. 

Your recommendation will strip the paint......????

WD40 or Sonax..

They both have a strong solvent that will not hurt the paint, forget the oil in it........????

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Damrongsak said:

Acetone is the solvent of choice for fully polymerised paints, the OP should not use it under any circumstances. It would ruin the clear coat gloss.

The sap from mangoes is actually a natural polymer itself. Hard to remove, detergent, water and elbow grease might do it. I doubt a non-polar solvent such as WD40 or turpentine would be effective, try methylated spirits. Not as aggressive to paint as acetone/nail polish remover.

The other alternatives are buy a car cover, or park somewhere else.

Edited by Lacessit
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Acetone is the solvent of choice for fully polymerised paints, the OP should not use it under any circumstances. It would ruin the clear coat gloss.

The sap from mangoes is actually a natural polymer itself. Hard to remove, detergent, water and elbow grease might do it. I doubt a non-polar solvent would be effective, try methylated spirits. Not as aggressive to paint as acetone/nail polish remover.

The other alternatives are buy a car cover, or park somewhere else.

WD40 or Sonax will even eat through road tar without harming the paint, never be without it......????

• Like 1

Just now, transam said:

WD40 or Sonax will even eat through road tar without harming the paint, never be without it......????

Road tar is a different kettle of fish, it's just the longest chain hydrocarbons being attacked by the shorter chain hydrocarbons in W40. Strictly speaking, it is not a polymer, just humongous carbon chains leading into waxes.

Heaven knows what mango sap polymer is, my best guess would be polysaccharides, given the sugar content of a mango.

Trust me on this, I was a chemist.

8 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Nothing will get mango sap stains off paintwork. It burns the paint. I used to have a mango farm and had a white ute (pickup) streaked with brown stains.

That's when the cutting compound or wet & dry comes into play if needed..

• Like 1

1 minute ago, transam said:

That's when the cutting compound or wet & dry comes into play if needed..

Forget cutting compound. Mango sap burns deep. Wet and dry and new pain is all that will work. The stuff is like brake fluid. It burns the skin quite badly as well.

1 minute ago, ozimoron said:

Forget cutting compound. Mango sap burns deep. Wet and dry and new pain is all that will work. The stuff is like brake fluid. It burns the skin quite badly as well.

They maybe true, but we do not give up hope initially that Mr.Mango has done his worse...????

• Like 1

Mango sap - mean stuff: "... the sap is highly acidic and contains an oily compound called urushiol – the same substance that’s in poison ivy. ..."

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/food/eat/mango-sap-hidden-danger-in-popular-summer-fruit/news-story/fcdb5fdd08d57dcb6ffce0b118532ae4

https://gardendrum.com/2015/09/15/the-dangers-of-mango-sap/

Edited by Damrongsak