Kudos Chanthaburi Immigration

Don't get me wrong, I love my Jomtien Immigration Office, but DAMN! I needed a re-entry permit for a trip coming up in October and took a chance on a Monday 3:00 pm. We all know you NEVER do that in Jomtien. Well, lo and behold, I was the ONLY customer they had. And talk about SERVICE - they practically offered me a pedicure while I waited. Thank you Chanthaburi Immigration!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Some time back I needed to have my stamps and visa info transfered to new passport at CW. 

No problem however when I went to reentry permit desk they would not transfer reentry permit stamp as it had been issued at DMK and not at CW. 

Just traveled internationally with both passports until next extension. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BritTim said:

It is my understanding that all immigration offices can issue you a re-entry permit, and those close to border crossings usually will. Many others will tell you to get the re-entry permit from your home immigration office, probably as they want to avoid doing the work themselves.

The officer doing the computer work did ask me if I lived in Pattaya. I told her truthfully I rent a place in Pattaya and a place in Chanthaburi and had my Chanthaburi lease document with me. She asked me where I stay now and again, truthfully, I told her Chanthaburi. I DID go in wearing a pressed shirt and pants and behaved like an adult which I think helped her in the decision whether or not to issue the re-entry.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, HappyExpat57 said:

The officer doing the computer work did ask me if I lived in Pattaya. I told her truthfully I rent a place in Pattaya and a place in Chanthaburi and had my Chanthaburi lease document with me. She asked me where I stay now and again, truthfully, I told her Chanthaburi. I DID go in wearing a pressed shirt and pants and behaved like an adult which I think helped her in the decision whether or not to issue the re-entry.

The reason I was asking was that, although Rayong is my local immigration office, Chanthaburi is more or less the same distance from where I live in the opposite direction on Highway 3. Unfortunately, unlike you, I don't also have a place in Chanthaburi, so it looks like it might be touch and go as to whether I could obtain a re-entry permit there instead of at Rayong.

Out of curiosity, in view of your recent positive experience at Chanthaburi might you now be seriously tempted to switch your "allegiance" for annual extensions and 90-day reports to there from Jomtien by filing a TM30 for your Chanthaburi place? That is definitely something which I would consider doing if I were in your shoes!

Edited by OJAS

3 minutes ago, OJAS said:

The reason I was asking was that, although Rayong is my local immigration office, Chanthaburi is more or less the same distance from where I live in the opposite direction on Highway 3. Unfortunately, unlike you, I don't have a place in Chanthaburi, so it looks like it might be touch and go as to whether I could obtain a re-entry permit there instead of at Rayong.????

Out of curiosity, given your recent positive experience at Chanthaburi, might you now be seriously tempted to switch your "allegiance" for annual extensions and 90-day reports to there from Jomtien by filing a TM30 for your Chanthaburi place? That is definitely something which I would consider if I were in your shoes!

The thought crossed my mind, but this is a temporary gig I'm doing. There are absolutely NO foreigners at the school I'm working at and all my buddies are back in Jomtien/Pattaya. As well, I don't know how the health care is in Chanthaburi. I wouldn't make this a long term. move.

29 minutes ago, OJAS said:

so it looks like it might be touch and go as to whether I could obtain a re-entry permit there instead of at Rayong.

Why on earth would anyone bother when reentry permit at immigration when it  is bullet proof simple process at airport. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Why on earth would anyone bother when reentry permit is bullet proof simple process at airport. 

Nothing in Thailand is bullet proof, particularly when it comes to bureaucracy. I wouldn't trust them to be open and ready for business for something I can do before going to the airport. The price of losing your visa is too costly a gamble.

Edited by HappyExpat57
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, HappyExpat57 said:

Nothing in Thailand is bullet proof, particularly when it comes to bureaucracy. I wouldn't trust them to be open and ready for business for something I can do before going to the airport. The price of losing your visa is too costly a gamble.

I'm only quoting as it's a very naive post and could mislead folk.

You are not applying for an annual extension.

It's a basic reentry permit.

At BKK they even do the paperwork for you for 200 baht if it's too much of a challenge. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Why on earth would anyone bother when reentry permit at immigration when it  is bullet proof simple process at airport. 

Yeah bullet-proof simple provided there aren't humungous queues for check-in, security, the re-entry permit itself and immigration departures, of course.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, OJAS said:

Yeah bullet-proof simple provided there aren't humungous queues for check-in, security, the re-entry permit itself and immigration departures, of course.

Again scaremongering post.

The reentry permit part of total process of departing Thailand will add 10, 15 minutes tops.

Stick to facts. 

7 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Again scaremongering post.

The reentry permit part of total process of departing Thailand will add 10, 15 minutes tops.

Stick to facts. 

You may well have been exceedingly fortunate in never having encountered a queue of any shape, size or description anywhere or at any time at BKK Departures. Many others haven't, though.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, OJAS said:

You may well have been exceedingly fortunate in never having encountered a queue of any shape, size or description anywhere or at any time at BKK Departures. Many others haven't, though.

I will type slowly.

The reentry part of the whole process is 15 minutes max. 

Regardless of que for security and passport control and boarding pass. 

Edited by DrJack54

41 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

I'm only quoting as it's a very naive post and could mislead folk.

You are not applying for an annual extension.

It's a basic reentry permit.

At BKK they even do the paperwork for you for 200 baht if it's too much of a challenge. 

And if they're not there and you leave without a re-entry, it's about 20,000 baht to do the process all over again.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, HappyExpat57 said:

And if they're not there and you leave without a re-entry, it's about 20,000 baht to do the process all over again.

Again stop. 

Reentry office is open 24/7.

Early morning if office was ever unattended just approach and staff and office will be attended quickly. 

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Again stop. 

Reentry office is open 24/7.

Early morning if office was ever unattended just approach and staff and office will be attended quickly. 

Your posts are always Bangkok-centric. Thailand is a little larger than that.

Why do you have to question my choice to get a re-entry before going to the airport? It takes me literally 3 minutes in a shopping mall in Chiang Mai while I am considering where to eat, and I am happy to deal with those nice kind smiling officers.

Edited by arithai12
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, HappyExpat57 said:

And if they're not there and you leave without a re-entry, it's about 20,000 baht to do the process all over again

You can request the Officer who stamps you out of the country, to issue you re entry.

BKK and DMK both have dedicated re entry desk. Not to worry.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, DrJoy said:

You can request the Officer who stamps you out of the country, to issue you re entry.

BKK and DMK both have dedicated re entry desk. Not to worry.

Thanks, and if it's ever an emergency situation, I'd possibly try that. However, if there's an opportunity to do it pre-swampy, I'll take that option. Somehow, I just don't trust the buggers.

• Haha 1