Should Expats Be Able to Speak Thai

NickyLouie

15 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

3some = awesome?

I saw Frenchie from afar. No way.

If I have to go with a man, I'm more holding out for someone like the lead singer of ColdPlay.

But to get back on topic, if Thai language won't move the woman-needle at all, and if you have no compelling cultural reason, then with learning Thai, the juice is not worth the squeeze.

And with the explosion of expat living -not to mention fake global nomads- the world seems to have moved on from you gotta speak the local language mentality. 

Edited by LaosLover

Keep in mind, please, that, unless expats can READ Thai, then they will NEVER be able to SPEAK Thai.

So sad, yet true.

Passa Thai has such a simple vocabulary, with only a very few vowels and constanances.

One of the HUGEST mistakes Guavas make when coming to Thailand for nooky is not to first learn the Thai script before they leave their home country, which they have been dying to leave, for years.

Some expats don't even know where to find a vowel.  They look up and down, but they can't even recriminate between a vowel and an inconstenenance.

Who might have any sympathy for such expats who know nothing about Thai script?

Why are they here, in the first place, if they care so little about Thai script?

Why not just go to Mexico, instead, and learn a bit of Maya.

(Mayans are extremely proud people. Same as people here.  But, Maya script is easier.)

image.jpeg.1223c01aec1fb7b53a8a2e9e8bef3d06.jpeg

Please keep in mind that Thai script is an ALPHABET.

But, Maya script might not actually be an alphabet, as in the original, used years ago, but more of something you might encounter in Egypt, inside the pyramids.

I would be happy to learn the Maya language if I lived in Central America.

So, why are you not willing to learn Thai, while living here?

Makes no sense.

Maybe you think too much.

Edited by GammaGlobulin
  • Sad 2

Good point, Globule.

Every last thing I've read says that you need to study the written part either at the same time, or alternately as you progress from beginner to intermediate states.

That's my plan. But language schools will need a few more westerners accumulating in Chiang Mai before anyone re-opens. 

Not much pickings in Bangkok either.

33 minutes ago, LaosLover said:

Good point, Globule.

Every last thing I've read says that you need to study the written part either at the same time, or alternately as you progress from beginner to intermediate states.

That's my plan. But language schools will need a few more westerners accumulating in Chiang Mai before anyone re-opens. 

Not much pickings in Bangkok either.

I found it extremely difficult, even impossible for me to learn the Thai letters , many of the letters look the same to me and its like playing a game of spot the difference , then they make it even more difficult by not putting spaces between the words and letters at the ends of words change the sound of the previous letters .

I never did learn it 

• Like 1

Agreed. They have the letter that looks like a cursive N, but sometimes it has a little dot or a line placed in various places around it.

Thaipod is what I'm struggling through/avoiding and it's pretty good with the letter/sound match up. They offer a lot of stuff free on Youtube. I'm also picking out words from Thai menus.

2 hours ago, LaosLover said:

I saw Frenchie from afar. No way.

If I have to go with a man, I'm more holding out for someone like the lead singer of ColdPlay.

But to get back on topic, if Thai language won't move the woman-needle at all, and if you have no compelling cultural reason, then with learning Thai, the juice is not worth the squeeze.

And with the explosion of expat living -not to mention fake global nomads- the world seems to have moved on from you gotta speak the local language mentality. 

Not surprising if the world moves on... you have semi accurate translation apps on your phone. And the 3some was not to include a French guy... 

But, as to language, i think that most Thai ladies have a different and greater comfort level w/someone who can speak their language. 

On 8/29/2022 at 4:25 PM, HappyExpat57 said:

I knew a black teacher, very much a gentleman, who learned to speak Thai. Once he realized what they were saying about him being a "chocolate man" and other much nastier things, he confronted them in their native tongue. Didn't slow them down one bit.

Because  chocolate man is neither offensive or racist  to them and anyway is usually said in English

15 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

That is the consensus from guys who have no idea that their significant other has no respect for them whatsoever and wants to talk about them behind their back. 

It's not true of those in relationships built on mutual respect and in those relationships solid communication is key. 

The near-universal ‘don’t bother’ response could be due to the demographic of those answering, retirees etc who just don’t want the hassle of learning a new language. 

The near-universal ‘don’t bother’ response is readily interpreted as laziness, but of course, no one wants to admit they’re lazy. 

What do you think about Thai cops MUST learn English, think a few years back they were given 6 months to do it.

I know quite a few cops, our lad is one, he does OK with English because of growing up with me, but I only know one cop who speaks and understands English, he is in the Tourist Police, so he is very busy covering for most of the team, even the boss there doesn't speak English.....????

A few years back a lady was at our place, was doing a master's in English, been at Uni for 4 years, she barely understood a word I was saying, even with me using near perfect English pronunciation.

And folk think us oldies should learn Thai/Isaan/Laos....????

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Permanent immigrants to Thailand are required to pass a Thai language test.

And I'm pretty sure I could pass their Thai language test right now.  But? 

"Sorry farang husbands - you only guest.  No emigration for you. 
Thai women lower than Thai men.  Foreign husband lower than foreign wife.  Keep bringing money into Prathet Thai or we kick you out.  Too bad for your wife and children if you get the boot.
Children of foreign man and Thai woman lower than children of foreign woman and Thai man.
Foreign women married to Thai men - cherished member of the Thai community and family.
Foreign men married to Thai women - temporary guest.
Thai children of Thai men and foreign women - Jewels of the Thai society.
Thai children of Thai women and foreign men - Disposal trash."

And the country's leadership is sexist as well as chauvinistic.  It doesn't have to be this way - but it is.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, connda said:

Thai women lower than Thai men.  Foreign husband lower than foreign wife.  Keep bringing money into Prathet Thai or we kick you out.  Too bad for your wife and children if you get the boot.
Children of foreign man and Thai woman lower than children of foreign woman and Thai man.
Foreign women married to Thai men - cherished member of the Thai community and family.

And the country's leadership is sexist as well as chauvinistic.  It doesn't have to be this way - but it is.

Disagree I have to say I don't find all Thai people think like that. 

I find that kind of thinking is mostly from Thai people who are jealous and envious of the better life other Thais have from foreigner marriage.

1 hour ago, connda said:

I actually find my status quite relaxing, I easily surpass expectations, ain't easy to insult or run down somebody who meets the daily demand of Thai farming alongside people 20 years younger ????

My wife too is a grafter, works all day, on the farm, cooking, laundry, cleaning 

I help occasionally washing windows and floors, very particular about keeping toilet and shower area very clean ???? easy but needs to be done 

I think in general we are accepted in the village as the  hard working part of a Thai family, and that makes us little different from anybody else, in that we worked for what we have.

Still have the hierarchical Yai family 'head' set up - this I feel is where the skewed balance is most visible in farang relationships but in the interest of harmony never mentioned ???? Yai is Yai!! For better or worse I feel the power is being gently eroded by the younger more knowledgeable generation along with farang marriages.

However the maternal power structure will not be easily dismantled 

Apologies a bit off topic ????

3 hours ago, transam said:

A few years back a lady was at our place, was doing a master's in English, been at Uni for 4 years, she barely understood a word I was saying, even with me using near perfect English pronunciation.

Language teaching in Thailand is not good! They not teach speaking or conversational understanding at all! They focus writing and reading. Every Thai who pronounce well english has lived in English speaking country.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, 2 is 1 said:

Language teaching in Thailand is not good! They not teach speaking or conversational understanding at all! They focus writing and reading. Every Thai who pronounce well english has lived in English speaking country.

My family who speak English have never been to an English speaking country, Mrs. T for 2 weeks..

Though we do have extended well off family who's kids were sent to India to learn English, fink they speak very many types of Indian there..????

14 minutes ago, 2 is 1 said:

I work with several local mechanical engineers.

All speak perfect English.

All struggle to understand English.

25 minutes ago, transam said:

My family who speak English have never been to an English speaking country, Mrs. T for 2 weeks..

Though we do have extended well off family who's kids were sent to India to learn English, fink they speak very many types of Indian there..????

Lol but you speak English in home. Family members need to learn if want talk whit you. Maybe its different if Thai has family member who speak English. Im not native English speaker and my writing is from "smelling black hole" but my Thai family has learn English coz need talk that whit me. If want i understant what they want . Also my Mrs. has study little time in AUS but that "English" im not say anything ????

4 hours ago, transam said:

What do you think about Thai cops MUST learn English, think a few years back they were given 6 months to do it.

I know quite a few cops, our lad is one, he does OK with English because of growing up with me, but I only know one cop who speaks and understands English, he is in the Tourist Police, so he is very busy covering for most of the team, even the boss there doesn't speak English.....????

It would certainly help...  In fact quite a few of the BiB I know are commissioned officers, some educated overseas and speak excellent English....  However, these are not the guys on the streets carrying our traffic stops or searching tourists on the pavement etc... 

The lower ‘non-commissioned’ ranks of the Thai Police force are made up of those with poor education, it would be unfair to expect them to speak English.

------

But that is a separate point: Speaking Thai here helps, things are smoother. 

IF someone has tried to learn Thai and just can’t, I think thats fair enough, they will have picked up a few key words, they will have also picked up on cultural facets of Thai behaviour and still know how to carry themselves respectfully and be respectful of others across cultural boundaries.

But, there are those who argue 'why bother?' [to learn Thai] it is these characters who can easily be criticised for their attitudes... these same characters are the ones who argue that we shouldn’t Wai anyone etc...    Its this lack of effort to be respectful as if Thai’s are below them which can be criticised. 

34 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

they will have also picked up on cultural facets of Thai behaviour and still know how to carry themselves respectfully and be respectful of others across cultural boundaries.

Why should I show respect for a population that left school at age 12 and whose leaders are 100% corrupt?

Not to mention their general hatred of white folk.

As for wai-ing, I'm more educated, older and richer than almost all Thai folk I encounter, wai me first and show me the respect your own 3rd world feudal society demands of you, or do one!

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

As for wai-ing, I'm more educated, older and richer than almost all Thai folk I encounter,

I have my Harvard degree tattooed on my forehead.  My gold chain is worth over 400,000 baht, and my Rolex watch is real.

I have never spoken one word of Thai in 34-years and will not start now!!!

I speak the language of my bank account, currently over 100 million baht and it's because I don't trust this place to put any "real" money in there.

I buy out shops so I can shop alone...

I am the real hi-so..

and I expect everyone on this forum to bow to me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Iamfalang said:

I have my Harvard degree tattooed on my forehead.  My gold chain is worth over 400,000 baht, and my Rolex watch is real.

I have never spoken one word of Thai in 34-years and will not start now!!!

I speak the language of my bank account, currently over 100 million baht and it's because I don't trust this place to put any "real" money in there.

I buy out shops so I can shop alone...

I am the real hi-so..

and I expect everyone on this forum to bow to me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

He didn't mention that the Thai folks that he encounters are sitting in a Mom & Pop shop drinking 10 Baht Loi Kraow and hes sat with a 29 Baht wine cooler and the Thai folk in the shop could never afford a wine cooler 

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

Why should I show respect for a population that left school at age 12 and whose leaders are 100% corrupt?

Not to mention their general hatred of white folk.

As for wai-ing, I'm more educated, older and richer than almost all Thai folk I encounter, wai me first and show me the respect your own 3rd world feudal society demands of you, or do one!

Your question: Why should I show respect?...... 

Then you identify there is a general hatred of white folk...

Perhaps your experience reflects your attitude....