Lawyer wants tougher penalties for sex offenders - justice minister reveals "chemical castration" deal

webfact

image.png

Picture: INN

Top Thai lawyer Sitha Biabangkert - known as Lawyer Tam - took three female victims of sex offenders to meet with justice minister Somsak Thepsuthin yesterday, reported INN.

The victims through their lawyer are calling for tougher sentences on sex offenders, especially those who use their position of power or authority and who might well reoffend because of their status, blatantly disregarding the law.

The first lady was named as Jaibua Hidding, a 26 year old actress of mixed Thai/Holland parentage who was sexually molested by a police major in Bang Phlat. 

The other two ladies - one a celebrity too - were assaulted by a man called Aphisit who is the relative of a former minister and one who was the victim of a man called Prin, a former deputy leader of a political party. 

Tam said that many of his clients had fallen victim to people in the civil service or powerful individuals who had influence and there was a fear they would reoffend on release. 

The sentences need to be made tougher to deter others. 

Suthin said that new legislation called JSOC was awaiting royal consent. If approved it would mean that offenders could face having to wear Electric Monitoring anklets on release for up to ten years. 

This would be up to a court's discretion.

If that was done and they were the subject of a further allegation they could be held for three days and then the court asked to detain them thereafter. 

Regarding chemical castration the minister revealed that it could only be done if the offender enters a rehabilitation program and opts for the procedure.

If it is done it would lower their sexual desire and lead to an agreed reduction in their sentence. 

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-09-02

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

If it can be proven, if there is evidence of a crime, and not just a woman's allegation, then there is no limit to the punishment which should be meted out. If only an allegation, then it may be suspect. I have always thought that you cannot ruin a man's life over one woman saying one thing happened, long, long ago. If it can somehow be proven, that is very different. 

• Like 1

I have every sympathy for the women in question but the article is worthless.

In theory those with power and influence are subject to the same laws and penalties as the average joe.

The reality of course is very different and the privileged minority can literally get away with murder.

Wont change anytime soon !

• Like 1

3 hours ago, edogthong said:

I was hoping to find at least one comment with a smidgeon of wisdom behind it. Instead, it's the usual "execute them!", "castrate them properly", "no penalty is hard enough" etc from the same crowd who were basically cheering when an innocent 19 year old South-African girl got a life sentence for something she didn't do. Of course, most of you didn't even bother to read her story. It's just primitive knee jerk reactions with you lot. Do you really think Thailand is the sort of country where penalties should become ever more harsh? Do you really have that much trust that the Thai criminal justice system won't be abused? Please, for once, think further than your <deleted>

The problem with most sex offenders, especially child violators is that they have the propensity to continue violating victims after they’re released from incarceration. So it’s imperative to be 100% sure that the accused is a perpetrator. So yes, the perpetrators need severe punishment for disrupting and destroying a persons life for a selfish act

• Like 1

20 hours ago, webfact said:

Suthin said that new legislation called JSOC was awaiting royal consent. If approved it would mean that offenders could face having to wear Electric Monitoring anklets on release for up to ten years. 

This would be up to a court's discretion.

How does wearing an ankle monitoring device prevent them from re-offending.

No excuses.

DO THE CRIME DO THE TIME...

21 hours ago, webfact said:

If it is done it would lower their sexual desire and lead to an agreed reduction in their sentence. 

Sounds good in theory but; Chemical castration only lasts about 3 months and is very expensive, at about 100,000 baht a time !  correct me if i'm wrong but on a ten year sentence that's 40million baht !!!!!!!!!! + all the probation fees etc.

12 hours ago, novacova said:

So yes, the perpetrators need severe punishment for disrupting and destroying a persons life for a selfish act

Congratulations for completely missing my point. Obviously, all violent and sex criminals DESERVE severe punishment. I wasn't arguing against that. My point is that innocent people will get convicted and suffer these consequences while others who are guilty will be let off the hook. I was merely question the wisdom of calling for harsher penalties in a country with a highly corrupt and imperfect justice system.

• Like 1