Much Higher Traffic Fines in Effect from Sept 5

snoop1130

However, the law does not require pickup truck passengers on extended space behind the driver’s seat cargo beds to use a seat belt

Not required as they have none! (extended space)

I was quite puzzled when I first noticed that.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

55 minutes ago, VinnieK said:

I hope the new fines will stop the 5 year olds from driving Motos. ????

Btw....is there a law allowing school kids to ride a moto to and from school...or are they just tolerated?

Scary af this last one

And up to 4 on a bike.

Locals say ok.

I find it hard to believe. 

• Like 1

Try enforcing the laws inside the Sois as well. I've never seen a traffic cop inside a soi. Seems the sois are governed by the residents of the sois as they deem convenient for them, with cars and motorcycles parked in any available gap on the street. 3 passengers on Motorcycles none wearing a helmet. 

Lately I have observed that the traffic cops are nowhere to be seen even on the roads let alone the sois.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The new law also raised the maximum fine from 500 to 2,000 baht for driving in wrong direction and failure to wear a helmet

If they really enforced this Thailand wouldn't need to tax farangs who are not tourists 300 baht when arriving in Thailand by air.  The Thai government would have so much money it could even buy that submarine.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Jerno said:

More tough laws that won't get enforced, so who cares.  Blah...blah.. blah.  Great photo op for RTP talking heads can get their name in the news.

More tough laws that won't get enforced, so who cares. 

Well the speeding fines that will be increased greatly will, so I do.

The speed limits in the areas where speed cameras are set up can be very confusing, with 3 different speeds shown within 100 meters in quite a few cases, Saraburi is a minefield to go through.

It's almost like the signs were set up in such a way as to generate extra income for the Highway Department/Traffic Police Dept. ????

Whenever I visit my wife's home village, it doesn't matter how carefully I drive (under my wife's back-seat guidance), I will still end up with 2 tickets.

A round trip to the North will now cost me Baht 8,000 instead of my normally 'budgeted for' Baht 2,000.

Edited to add,

I'm sure that my budget for speeding fines was Baht 1,000 and a ticket was 500 and not 1,000.

Either way, Baht 8,000 makes the trip too expensive.

Er indoors can fly next time she visits her village.

Edited by Bert got kinky
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, VinnieK said:

I hope the new fines will stop the 5 year olds from driving Motos. ????

Btw....is there a law allowing school kids to ride a moto to and from school...or are they just tolerated?

Scary af this last one

My understanding is that kids may use a motorcycle if the is no other forms of transport available.

Of course, this permission is abused to the extent, kids in Thailand ride all the time....and never have an issue. 

There was a promotion some time back whereby the cops distributed helmets to kids.....of course, they were never used!

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, ChrisY1 said:

My understanding is that kids may use a motorcycle if the is no other forms of transport available.

Of course, this permission is abused to the extent, kids in Thailand ride all the time....and never have an issue. 

There was a promotion some time back whereby the cops distributed helmets to kids.....of course, they were never used!

I shudder what the legal implications would be if someone is involved in an accident wit those urchins.

On the week of the 5th,  they will make their grandstanding by the end of week they will do their show and tell photo media op as to how successful. 

But next week everyone will be back indoors playing with their phones. Once

a month they will do a road check which people can see and know where they are KM away,  As the holiday come up they will have a catchy phrase 5-7 deadly days but go on with your ways because the RTP will be under the tents playing with our phones in the shades on OT. 

By the beginning of next year they once again will scratch their heads where we go wrong? ????

• Haha 1