German claims he was warned off by police from pursuing his political protests against acting PM

webfact

2 hours ago, ftpjtm said:

The majority of us probably agree with his political opinions. 

BUT! Thailand is not his (or my) country. We're just guests who can't vote. Our opinion is meaningless to Thais, in the same way that a non citizen Thai's opinion of German politics is meaningless to Germans.

No sympathy for him if his visa isn't extended. 

Whilst you are correct and I agree with your sentiment, if  Thai person did a similar thing in Germany, or France or the USA or really anywhere in the west, I cant imagine the local law enforcement turning up to warn him or her off.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mikeymike100 said:

Whilst you are correct and I agree with your sentiment, if  Thai person did a similar thing in Germany, or France or the USA or really anywhere in the west, I cant imagine the local law enforcement turning up to warn him or her off.

See my reply to stoner

41 minutes ago, ftpjtm said:

True. And I commend Germany for allowing freedom of anyone to critique their governance. 

And I commend Thais using Germany as an example of good governance. 

Regardless, I don't think it's a foreign citizen's place to publicly protest against the government of a foreign nation on their soil. And while a Thai wouldn't be deported for protesting against the German government in Germany, I can't believe he would be well received by the majority. 

1 hour ago, ezzra said:

Me think this might be his last stay in this country, Thailand has it's own idiots, not looking for an outside ones, Yes, Thailand is not perfect by far, but let's leave it to the Thais to manage their own affairs...

Yes. When it's time to renew his visa he might get a surprise. If he lasts long enough in the country to apply for renewal. I wonder how long he's lived in Thailand to not know that free speech is frowned upon.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, swm59nj said:

When a citizen of another country either visits, or resides in another country.  You have to accept the rules, laws, etc.  If you don’t agree,  or don’t like certain things, you don’t go or leave.  You can of course express disagreement on such things as a forum.  But he is going overboard for a non- citizen.  
He was visited by the police allegedly given an ultimatum.  What did he expect. 

Is it unlawful for him to do such a thing? It doesn't seem to be or he would've surely been arrested. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Thai Visa Member 999999 said:

He didn't criticize the country. He criticized a politician. They're not the same thing. 

That's a matter of opinion. 

I personally agree with you. My feeling is that a very large number of Thais would disagree with you. 

And their opinion is much more consequential than your's or mine in Thailand. I do my best to respect that while a guest in this country. 

3 hours ago, ftpjtm said:

Our opinion is meaningless to Thais, in the same way that a non citizen Thai's opinion of German politics is meaningless to Germans.

This is simply not true.

It depends on the person and it depends what they say.  Some Thais could easily think "If even a foreigner thinks that, then maybe it is true", or whatever.

Equally, a Thai person living in Germany could make a comment on German politics that makes people change the way they think.

The anti-government narrative seen in the last few years, clearly involves young people being influenced by the politics of other countries.

32 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

This is simply not true.

It depends on the person and it depends what they say.  Some Thais could easily think "If even a foreigner thinks that, then maybe it is true", or whatever.

Equally, a Thai person living in Germany could make a comment on German politics that makes people change the way they think.

Yes, there's always the exception to the rule.

However, in my experience having a foreigner lecture a citizen on what's wrong with their country very often results in a citizen who disagrees with that sentiment being more offended than if they had received a similar lecture from a fellow citizen. Regardless of whether they are Thai, European or American. 

But if you feel otherwise and think it's constructive for you to publicly lecture Thais on Thai politics, have at it. Maybe you'll inspire someone. Maybe your visa won't be extended. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, mikebell said:

How is he managing this?  What sort of visa does he have?  Will it be renewed?

The first article says "it is understood that the German and his Thai wife", so he might be staying here on a marriage visa.
The wife is however downgraded to "girlfriend" (provided it's the same person) in the second article. He could as well just work here.