IKEA vs. Index Living

NickyLouie

I love Ikea - bought there stuff in UK, Oz and Thailand. However their delivery prices are WAY, WAY over the top.

I've also got a load of Index - they have many branches so one's bound to be near you.

PS - I had the Salmon with il in BKK Ikea and the first food poisoning in 20 year in Thailand.

• Thanks 2

My partner and I shop at both, but more at Index since we are mostly in Pattaya.   We think IKEA has a better selection of rugs; we especially like their sisal rugs which come in a number of colors, textures, and sizes.  IKEA's housewares, lighting, outdoor furniture, and picture frames are also good.  We've been doing custom kitchens and baths so we haven't used their selection of cabinetry but it looks fairly extensive.  We like their large, upholstered rectangular ottomans with hidden storage--we've used them a number of times as coffee tables with a big tray on top.  I haven't seen them anywhere but IKEA and they have a nice selection of styles and slipcover colors.  We haven't needed a hide-a-bed but IKEA's selection looks pretty good.

We use Index sometimes for bed and bath linens and houseware items.  We've also bought bed frames and mattresses a number of times, as well as living room and dining furniture.  Our last purchase was an office chair.   We like that Index will assemble furniture for you and we've used their delivery service a number of times.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/4/2022 at 1:49 AM, Thunglom said:

I love Ikea - bought there stuff in UK, Oz and Thailand. However their delivery prices are WAY, WAY over the top.

I've also got a load of Index - they have many branches so one's bound to be near you.

PS - I had the Salmon with il in BKK Ikea and the first food poisoning in 20 year in Thailand.

Try the Swedish meatballs w/lingonberry sauce, def a must in IKEA.

• Like 1

On 9/4/2022 at 1:49 AM, Thunglom said:

Salmon with il? Is that short for so ill I thought I was going to die?

1 hour ago, NickyLouie said:

Try the Swedish meatballs w/lingonberry sauce, def a must in IKEA.

I won't be eating there again in a hurry. I had eaten there before (meatballs - not very good I thought) But, the fact tat they allowed food to become infected means that I suspect all of their menu and the general hygiene of the place.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bradiston said:

What about returns? IKEA has a very simple process if I remember. But Index? Non western company response is usually "you bring back, why you buy?"

I think if you go in with that attitude, you are more likely to have problems.

I have had a lot of experience of CS in Thailand and it does fall below western expectations, but I've managed in the end to get very satisfactory results largely by speaking Thai and not taking a negative attitude.

27 minutes ago, rwill said:

There are other places to consider.  Such as Chic Republic, Ashley, SB design square, etc.

I would say that Ikea is more likely to honor their waranties though.

Agree.  My partner and I have bought furniture from Chic Republic and SB Furniture--our Bangkok condo sofa came from SB and it's holding up well.  We also like Lifestyle Furniture at Boonthavorn--we've bought several corner sofas, lounge chairs, and dining tables from them, as well as some patio chairs.

2 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

IKEA sells different quality levels.

I.e. some of their kitchens have 10 years warranty. Some have even 25 years warranty.

I watched a lot of YouTube videos and basically everybody agrees IKEA has good quality kitchens for reasonable money. 

i bought one 2 years ago and still looks brand new, fixtures and fittings no rust vs a friend had a kitchen built by a thai guy, made to measure cupboards and guess what fixtures and fittings started to rust quickly

23 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Can anyone help please. Looking at 200 x 180 double bed slats (no, not sluts!) but it says 2 x 200x 90. So what supports the slats in the middle underside of the bed. 

LURÖY Slatted bed base, 180x200 cm - IKEA

bed frame must have a central strip, see if one of their beds shows it. Their assembly instructions will show it

Edited by scubascuba3

10 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

bed frame must have a central strip, see if one of their beds shows it. Their assembly instructions will show it

No, mine is a 'conventional' Thai bed frame. But I guess I could fit a central strip (bit of wood!)

Index is typically low quality, and bottom of the line. I avoid them. Their stuff does not last. Life is too short to fill your home with such low quality, unless there is little in the way of funds to work with. I have had Index bedframes literally crumble apart. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Guderian said:

Many years ago, I furnished my seafront pad in Scheveningen with Ikea. Twenty years later, I furnished my villa in Pattaya with Index. My unbiased opinion is that Ikea has a great selection of decent quality furniture, but Index has better quality items, which is also reflected in the price. 

Then you should know that the prices from Ikea in Thailand are much to high.

In the Netherlands 21% VAT, In Thailand 7%

After they stay in Thailand for 5 years, did they raise the prices significantly.

3 hours ago, Thunglom said:

I think if you go in with that attitude, you are more likely to have problems.

I have had a lot of experience of CS in Thailand and it does fall below western expectations, but I've managed in the end to get very satisfactory results largely by speaking Thai and not taking a negative attitude.

I didn't go in with that attitude. I come out with it, never to return. I can speak enough Thai to communicate in those circumstances. But take something back to Lotus (at least in the old days, and I refuse to call it by its ridiculously rebranded unpronounceable mash up), and it's pretty much no questions asked. Try that in Power Buy or whatever it's called. Never again.

Edited by bradiston