Foreigner Kills Two Teenage Girls In Songkhla Crash

webfact

4 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Very sad story, driving standards are very different to those in Australia. 

Doesn't matter if you are in the right

or what speed the bike was traveling

or how many passengers

or not wearing a helmet,

or whether it was roadworthy.

Any accident in Thailand, if a child is injured you are at fault and liable. 

Spot on and if anyone things any different they should not ever consider driving anything on Thai roads

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

Doesn't matter if you are in the right

or what speed the bike was traveling

or how many passengers

or not wearing a helmet,

or whether it was roadworthy.

Any accident in Thailand, if a child is injured you are at fault and liable. 

Driving standards (road laws) are virtually  identical to those in Australia.

Edited by ozimoron
  • Confused 2

Poor young lives ended so violently. RIP. I feel for their families and their grief.

I may be incorrect but is it not the law here when exiting a premises/property - of any sort (if the car went into the driveway of a property in one direction and exited out of another) that vehicle must take care to not endanger either pedestrians and give way to all traffic on the roadway as they enter that road the car crosses?

I imagine the driver is shattered at what happened.

The speed or slowness of the bike is irrelevant to the lack of clear view of the roadway, or judgement in pulling out into the traffic stream by the car driver. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Coxy said:

Very sad news again and from what I can see the SUV driver is in the wrong

yet again three young girls on one bike !!!!!!!!  Parents have to take some responsibility

RIP young ones  

3 girls on a speeding scooter, give me a break, the driver wasn't looking at the road and only worried about making the U-turn. 3 on a scooter is common in Thailand but 5 or 6 is pushing it. RIP young girls and my prayer's to the young girl in the hospital.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rwill said:

They were showing the video on Thai TV about 2 days ago now.   The driver waited for 2 motorcylces to clear and took off.  I guess he didn't see the third one.

(1) Watch | Facebook

They were also saying he drove over one of them again as he continued on.  Sort of looks like the vehicle was just sort of slowly rolling on after the impact.

From the video it is clearly the SUV driver's fault for pulling out in front of the bike, But that bike was also going at a hell of a speed. As quoted in the link, Lt. Samphan mentioned that accidents frequently occur in this area because it’s a straight road and drivers tend to travel at high speed. Why so many drivers in Thailand are in such a tearing hurry is beyond me. It's always 'driving at high speed' whenever an accident occurs.

As for it being known as an accident blackspot because of speeding, I suppose speed bumps are out of the question? But they cost money and losing lives is cheaper, i suppose.

Edited by Bangkok Barry

2 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

From the video it is clearly the SUV driver's fault for pulling out in front of the bike, But that bike was also going at a hell of a speed. As quoted in the link, Lt. Samphan mentioned that accidents frequently occur in this area because it’s a straight road and drivers tend to travel at high speed. Why so many drivers in Thailand are in such a tearing hurry is beyond me. It's always 'driving at high speed' whenever an accident occurs.

I have difficulty believing that a scooter carrying three girls was travelling at more than 60 Kph. Maybe, but I doubt it. I rarely see any scooters going faster than that on any urban road anywhere in Thailand with two or three up.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Gecko123 said:

This may have been a case of the car driver watching for a break in the northbound traffic and then pulling into the southbound traffic lane

Whoa, whoa, whoa.  You can't just pull out into ongoing traffic if you don't have the right of way.  That's a very stupid error that cost 3 young lives.  I hope they get millions of dollars in payout.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gecko123 said:

From the photos, the girls were traveling in the curb side lane and struck the front right side of the car. That suggests to me that the girls may have had next to no time to take evasive action. This may have been a case of the car driver watching for a break in the northbound traffic and then pulling into the southbound traffic lane before double checking that there was no oncoming southbound traffic.

The pictures don't show clear what happened. Only the story tells the motorcycle at high speed and the couple who wanted to make a u turn....

• Confused 1

19 minutes ago, SiSePuede419 said:

Whoa, whoa, whoa.  You can't just pull out into ongoing traffic if you don't have the right of way.  That's a very stupid error that cost 3 young lives.  I hope they get millions of dollars in payout.

here in Thailand never millions of dollars are being paid.. Yes the fines for foreigners are much higher than for Thai people, but first of all look very clearly what happened. In my country you need to wear helmets, and have a driverslicense otherwise you are not insured and can't claim just to start with. In the video the motorcyce is at high speed and as we all know in Thailand nobody can slow down. Normally if they slowed down the impact was less severe...  

Edited by ikke1959

My advice to anyone staying here for more than 20 minutes is to get comfortable with the myriad forms of transportation both public and private that make it reasonably convenient not to drive here. Of course, if you have kids, that's quite another matter - a vehicle of some sort becomes imperative. Otherwise, when you get the odd urge to ride a m/c or something, rent one for the day or maybe a weekend and be done with it. Short term usually no fuss, no muss. But, if you own a vehicle full-time, your life becomes, almost literally, a daily game of Russian Roulette. Yes, we can avoid problems much of the time, but when we can't there's no telling how the chips might fall - and relying on dumb luck is not a suitable strategy. In my view it's just not worth it. Life-changing outcomes can happen within the blink of an eye, with always less-than-desirable odds for desirable outcomes.

I am ultra-sorry for the loss of these young girls. Their families must be devastated. I've witnessed countless versions of this since relocating here, and, as a father with a daughter of roughly the same age, I live with the realization that this is just part of life, every day. Fortunately (some might say miraculously), the number of people engaged in what Europeans would consider risky or dangerous life choices, is belied by the actual number of serious injuries and deaths. The system works but attempts to unnecessarily engage with it are ill-advised. Or not. Feeling lucky?

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

I have difficulty believing that a scooter carrying three girls was travelling at more than 60 Kph. Maybe, but I doubt it. I rarely see any scooters going faster than that on any urban road anywhere in Thailand with two or three up.

I see many scooters driving with 3 almost 90km a hour and they are looking backwarths to talk with eachother and no helmets....Speeding seems to be the norm here. Why not limit the speed of motorcycles to 50km ??? So easy to do

34 minutes ago, SiSePuede419 said:

You can't just pull out into ongoing traffic if you don't have the right of way. 

Nobody said you could. I was just trying to explain what might have caused the accident. I think this clip posted earlier by @rwill pretty much shows exactly what happened and who was at fault:

(1) Watch | Facebook

Edited by Gecko123

i think the point about 3 on the bike is valid regardless of the foreigner being guilty or not. 

fact remains had those 3 girls not illegally been on the bike in the first place... would that accident ever of happened ? 

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, stoner said:

i think the point about 3 on the bike is valid regardless of the foreigner being guilty or not. 

fact remains had those 3 girls not illegally been on the bike in the first place... would that accident ever of happened ? 

And, of course, if the farang had not been in Thailand, the incident would never have happened.

Just now, Nickelbeer said:

And, of course, if the farang had not been in Thailand, the incident would never have happened.

yes you are correct. but looking at the driving etc here. which of the things we have stated happens far more often ? a foreigner involved in an accident or a thai doing something similar to this ? 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

We must remember, changing motor vehicle laws will occur in order to make roads safer, but the  heart of the problem is the road culture in Thailand - that will take a generation to change. We need students who pass through the education system with driver's education, for example, defensive driving. Seems this is the only way to get to the cause of the dangerous roads in Thailand.

So many people who drive in Thailand simply do not want to wait until the intersection or thoroughfare is safe before moving their vehicle. Few people are willing to yield so that traffic can move along. Couple this with sporadic enforcement of motor vehicle laws and lack of attention to traffic signs and the result is any attempts at regulations on the roads are merely reduced to "suggestions" with drivers expecting little or no consequences for violating traffic codes.

As time marches on expect more and more vehicles to be added to the roads and you get more accidents and heartbreaks. 

5 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Yes, it is! However, we have 2 big things to consider!

1. He was not driving in Australia!
  2. Maybe he should have taken time to consider the driving standards in the country he was driving before putting himself in a vehicle.

Or, what do you think?

Very sad RIP to those who perished . Thailand needs to tighten up the laws regarding scooters and bikes crash helmets , 16 or over and no more than the rider and one passenger on a scooter or bike had the girls been wearing helmets they might of had a better chance I’m not offering any excuse for the driver of the pick up but in over 17 years of living here when I see kids of 3 or often more riding pillion it deeply worries me I’ve come across to many unnecessary deaths on scooters and bikes it’s now time for change in the law if you can be given a 4,000 baht fine for not wearing a seat belt then it’s time the government introduced much stricter bike rules 

When I was working in Songkla, driven this road many times, lovely area, baffles me how a fatality can happen on this road.

Motorbikes, so dangerous if not experienced in riding. 

These young girls, out and about, enjoying themselves, what a waste. 

Bloody parents, letting these young people ride motorbikes. ????

Agreed - also 3 on a bike?:-

"The maximum number of people riding a motorcycle must not go over two (2) persons per motorcycle. If the motorcycle was not designed for two (2) persons or is not equipped with footpegs and a seat for the back rider (pillion), it shall be also considered as overloading"

1 hour ago, ozimoron said:

My impression from the video is that the motorcycle - according to the report, and not a scooter - was going very, very fast. Other opinions may differ.