More than five million foreign tourists arrived in Thailand within nine months, former government spokesperson reveals

webfact

Who is actually tabulating these random numbers that they throw around occasionally....? 

It's been a very angst and weary subject matter among particular circles for some time now.

Let it go.

There are far more valuable items in life to concern ourselves with.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zzaa09 said:

Who is actually tabulating these random numbers that they throw around occasionally....?

The Ministry of Tourism & Sports keeps the most comprehensive figures. According to them, for the 9 months ended 31 July, 3.5 million foreign tourists entered Thailand. The current number is running at about 1 million per month (they haven't released August numbers yet).

Almost half of those July visitors were from ASEAN neighbour countries; to put it in perspective, more visitors came from Malaysia alone than from the whole of Europe combined.

If the entry figures carry on, the total for 2022 could be around 8-9 million, about 20-25% of pre-pandemic levels, with a huge hole where European and American visitors used to be.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Eleftheros said:

The Ministry of Tourism & Sports keeps the most comprehensive figures. According to them, for the 9 months ended 31 July, 3.5 million foreign tourists entered Thailand. The current number is running at about 1 million per month (they haven't released August numbers yet).

Almost half of those July visitors were from ASEAN neighbour countries; to put it in perspective, more visitors came from Malaysia alone than from the whole of Europe combined.

If the entry figures carry on, the total for 2022 could be around 8-9 million, about 20-25% of pre-pandemic levels, with a huge hole where European and American visitors used to be.

If the figure quoted in the article is correct that means 1.8 million have visited from August 1st to September 8th which is significant increase from the July figure of 1.1 million. They are managing to add 300k a month so this makes 10 million realistic.

7 hours ago, webfact said:

Thailand has welcomed more than five million foreign tourists during the past nine months after the full country reopening, Thanakorn Wangboonkongchana revealed on Wednesday, September 14th.

So the predictions didn't materialise?

8 hours ago, webfact said:

Thailand has welcomed more than five million foreign tourists during the past nine months after the full country reopening, Thanakorn Wangboonkongchana revealed on Wednesday, September 14th.

I personally would be more interested in the number that actually stayed and booked Hotel Nights.

This is just more nonsense rhetoric trying to big up the Tourist Sector, that is still very clearly on its A@@e

• Like 1

7 hours ago, vivananahuahin said:

Are they passengers coming through Bangkok airports or others airports or real tourists spendind $$ in Thailand, more transparency and honesty are neccesary.

There are 15 daily flights from Kuala Lumpur to Bangkok alone, not counting Phuket and other Thai destinations. From my observation, most of the passengers are Chinese Malaysians and very few non-Malaysians.

• Like 1

No way they reach 10 million by the end of the year. Natural Gas prices will rise as Winter approaches and Gasoline prices will resume the march upwards. Utility bills, high grocery costs, and high airfares will keep the masses away from TL the rest of this year.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

How many of the millions are actually migrant workers who have entered the country to take the jobs Thai's will not do.

You're the guy who predicted a couple of months ago Thailand would only get 6 million tourists this year, now you're really clutching at straws to deny the recovery of the tourist industry here. Zero credibility.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, SiamAndy said:

No way they reach 10 million by the end of the year. Natural Gas prices will rise as Winter approaches and Gasoline prices will resume the march upwards. Utility bills, high grocery costs, and high airfares will keep the masses away from TL the rest of this year.

Why ? The numbers they have been getting these last 2 months clearly indicate 10 million is realistic. They can make a qualified forecast based on airline traffic and current levels. I suspect those travelling long haul for Nov/Dec have already booked their flights.

24 minutes ago, SiamAndy said:

5,018,172 in the first 8 months +. To get  roughly another 4,982,000 in less than 4 months while the world economy worsens day by day is highly, highly optimistic.

July was 1.1 million, August 1st to September 8th was 1.8 million based on the figure quoted, ( seems high to me and will likely drop in final analysis when they strip out non tourist visa arrivals ),  and we're technically in low season. I would expect the majority of those arriving long haul from Europe Nov/Dec have already booked, so along with the recovery level of 250k + each month, flight numbers, forward bookings etc they have reasonable oversight on their forecasts. 

2023 is where things become harder to predict to me for the reason you highlight, I think this high season might be a bit of a one off for the European market who have been away for the last 3 years before they batten down the hatches financially.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

In last 8 months I personally know 32 people (including me and Wifey) have been to thailand. Of these people 6 were tourists the rest were Thais and or husbands / kids returning to visit families not seen for 2 to 3 years due to covid. So less than 23% genuine tourists . I imagine that this is accross the board - certainly where ferang are concerned. So you can say that maybe 1.2 million are genuine tourists but the rest just families returning - yes they are tourists but not genuine spending tourism tourists.

Personally I think it will be sometime before the geunine spending tourists return in the pre pandemic numbers, even then the numbers were massively Chinese who were not spending as all was pre paid in China. TOT are looking to gain a wealthier tourist but then Thailand legalize canabis- wealthy tourists are not stoners , for me this sends put the wrong message , Backpackers and younger tourists like a "toot" and they are not wealthy, Thailand need to make its mind up who its target audiance is.

• Like 1

On 9/15/2022 at 2:07 AM, webfact said:

The former government spokesperson told the Associated Press that from January 1st – September 8th, a total of 5,018,172 foreigners had traveled to the Kingdom. The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) also estimated that the number would reach 10 million, according to the advanced flights and hotel bookings for the next three months.

The first paragraph says 5 million tourists.  The second paragraph says 5 million foreigners.  So which is it?  Sorry rhetorical question.  Everyone except TAT knows the answer.