Cost after death

moogradod

I live on one of the islands a friend recently passed he had a very simple cremation 2 nights prayed third day cremation I managed to do everything for 28,000 baht I should imagine up your part of the world it would be 15,000 or less by the way he was a farang  

Edited by crazykopite

10 K minimum for a 3 day funeral I would say.

Best thing would be for your wife to go to the Wat and discuss it with them.  Tell them they don't have much money for the funeral.  They will give you the lowest cost that way.

Edited by rwill

My Thai partner of 7 years died suddenly of a massive heart attack a year ago. I didn't discuss with the family but gave them 50K and they were grateful. It was quite a large event with lots of food and drink. 5 - 10K seems very low but I guess it can be sufficient in particular circumstances. 

• Like 1

5k baht to 10k baht would probably be fine contribution that can help a lot, but as @Crossy says, check with your partner. A ceremony and cremation can easily cost 30k baht, but a number of envelopes with some level of financial support should also be expected...????

When I croak I want the Wife to send the mortal remains immediacy to the local Wat (gas oven). Ashes to be tossed (reverently of course) in the Mae Ping (in earlier days spreading the ashes along Loh Kroh would have been appropriate). Literally done and dusted. Knowing her, she will no doubt go to the Wat to offer prayers after.

On 9/16/2022 at 5:08 PM, Crossy said:

Do discuss with your lady. I'd go in low-ball at 5k, when you get the evil-eye you can always go up (go in too high and you can never, ever, offer less in future).

Was there any "village insurance" in place? Many people pay a fixed (tiny) amount each month to ensure at least a decent send off.

It really depends upon how close the family member was. No need for multiple days of monking etc. but certainly a bit of face-saving for the family wouldn't go astray.

We only paid in 10k for the MiL funeral but there's a massive family so a significant profit was made even when the average was nearer 2k, most of which went to the temple anyway.

"Was there any "village insurance" in place? Many people pay a fixed (tiny) amount each month to ensure at least a decent send off.'  Also known as the 'Village Funeral Fund', but same meaning of course.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, wwest5829 said:

When I croak I want the Wife to send the mortal remains immediacy to the local Wat (gas oven). Ashes to be tossed (reverently of course) in the Mae Ping (in earlier days spreading the ashes along Loh Kroh would have been appropriate). Literally done and dusted. Knowing her, she will no doubt go to the Wat to offer prayers after.

There's a nice waterfall up in Pai that would be much nicer go out in.

My wife's mother just died this year. I was asked to kick start the funeral expenses.  Gave 10,000. After that the donations received each day covered the costs.  Plus a village fund was given the last day. I sat back and let the family handle the expenses.  I told my wife after I donated the rest is up to the family of how much THEY can afford. I did chip in on some beer for the evening activities. But so did others too. 

My wife's mother just died this year. I was asked to kick start the funeral expenses.  Gave 10,000. After that the donations received each day covered the costs.  Plus a village fund was given the last day. I sat back and let the family handle the expenses.  I told my wife after I donated the rest is up to the family of how much THEY can afford. I did chip in on some beer for the evening activities. But so did others too. 

And you say a family member of your wife's.  I donated because it was her mother. And will do the same for her father. But an aunt, uncle or cousin I have never been asked to help pay funeral expenses.  1,000 baht in an envelope is enough. Your wife can add what she wants.