Vehicle insurance

mjakob007

I have been with Roojai for 5 years now and happy with them.....no claims BTW....but I read a few weeks ago on another thread on here that they will not insure over 75,s....as next year I will reach this milestone if I am refused cover from them then I will look at Misterprakan as an alternative.

11 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

No I use Roojai.

Thanks for recommendation, as used their 'quote' function, and comes in about 1000 baht cheaper than policy we have with family member/broker for auto insurance.  

Didn't compare exact find print yet, but know top end pay out is a bit higher.  Only question mark would be if putting in a claim, as easy enough with family member, and would 'fight' for us if questioned.

As pointed out above, hard to judge if no claims put forward, how good coverage is.

THANKS

1 hour ago, petermik said:

I have been with Roojai for 5 years now and happy with them.....no claims BTW....but I read a few weeks ago on another thread on here that they will not insure over 75,s....as next year I will reach this milestone if I am refused cover from them then I will look at Misterprakan as an alternative.

We have had two cars insured  with them for a number if years. 

I am 72 and I am sure last year they said they don't insure anyone over 71 they suggested we insured the car in my wife's name and me as a nominated driver

I had a small claim recently as I clipped a car at the school in torrential rain

It was all resolved and the claim was approved in a couple of hours

I only had a scrape on a mag wheel which they wanted me to claim. 

• Like 1

Read the " FINE PRINT " of every policy.  Major thing to look for, beside ฿฿฿ amount covered, is who will do the repairs/body work.

Dealers or subbed out to independent contractors, using clone parts.

The lower price (from Roojai) I posted about earlier, subs out to '500 shops countrywide' ... not necessarily the auto dealers.  Depending where you live and brand of car, it may make a huge difference.

Only been in a few, but yet to see a MG dealer with a paint & body shop.  Larger Toyota dealers do have, as I've used in Udon Thani. 

Where I am, I don't think any dealer has.  Not saying independent shop can't, won't do an excellent job, but does give you more options.  And dealer will, should use manufacturer's replacement parts.

I've had work done at both, and excellent results from both.  I've seen work from other shops, and not so good.

Edited by KhunLA

17 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Neither Mister Prakan nor Roojai are insurers.

They are brokers. Any insurance you get through either of them will be issued by a different company, such as AXA, Viriyah. MSIG etc etc.

Personally I have always used AXA, obtained through AA brokers.

One of the htings to consider is if the insurer's hotline has English language operators and whether they have English speaking claims agents. Not all do.

Finally someone who knows how insurance works.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I have cars insured through Roojai, Direct Asia & MisterPrakan.

Roojai are the cheapest and best for 'standard' or common vehicles. However they would not give me full cover (Type 1 insurance) for my wifes' Mini or my Porsche.

Mister Prakan gave me good cover for my Porsche - the policy was underwritten by Bangkok Insurance.   

In my experience - all insurance brokers will have someone who is proficient in English - but you may have to wait a little longer on the phone to get to speak to this person.

I have no experience re claims response.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Thanks for recommendation, as used their 'quote' function, and comes in about 1000 baht cheaper than policy we have with family member/broker for auto insurance.  

Didn't compare exact find print yet, but know top end pay out is a bit higher.  Only question mark would be if putting in a claim, as easy enough with family member, and would 'fight' for us if questioned.

As pointed out above, hard to judge if no claims put forward, how good coverage is.

THANKS

Well I don't want to find out, the 1st class voluntary insurance is a precaution against someone hitting the truck doing a lot of damage and not being insured. 

I have a 10,000 excess as well in case of it being my fault  which makes it cheaper still. 

• Thumbs Up 1

34 minutes ago, Brick Top said:

I have thought about using Roojai , they give really cheap quotations , are they OK ?

I find them very efficient they do my CTPL included and I pay by 10 monthly installments and a 10,000baht excess to make it a cheap 1st class cover. 

As for are they OK with claims frankly I hope I don't have to find out.????

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Well I don't want to find out, the 1st class voluntary insurance is a precaution against someone hitting the truck doing a lot of damage and not being insured. 

I have a 10,000 excess as well in case of it being my fault  which makes it cheaper still. 

I told the wife to get the cheapest insurance policy from her cousin, that had 1 mill coverage.

In 50 some years of driving, I've yet to need any auto insurance, and find it a complete waste of money.  But since folks here enjoy committing suicide on other folks vehicles, and I'm usually driving, <9k a year is good insurance for 'my safety' since in a foreign country ... ????

If in USA, I wouldn't bother.

59 minutes ago, StevieAus said:

they suggested we insured the car in my wife's name and me as a nominated driver

Does you wife have a drivers license?  I am 73 so wondering when it will be difficult for me to get insurance.  My Thai GF is younger but she does not have a drivers license so I am guessing that we could not insure in her name but I am not sure. 

8 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

I told the wife to get the cheapest insurance policy from her cousin, that had 1 mill coverage.

In 50 some years of driving, I've yet to need any auto insurance, and find it a complete waste of money.  But since folks here enjoy committing suicide on other folks vehicles, and I'm usually driving, <9k a year is good insurance for 'my safety' since in a foreign country ... ????

If in USA, I wouldn't bother.

Yes it's a never know thingy but for me I like my truck and if someone did a lot damage and was not insured had no money etc is an expensive item to replace for me. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Longwood50 said:

Does you wife have a drivers license?  I am 73 so wondering when it will be difficult for me to get insurance.  My Thai GF is younger but she does not have a drivers license so I am guessing that we could not insure in her name but I am not sure. 

My wife doesn't have a drivers license but Roojai insure the the truck in her name and I am down as main driver buy anyone can drive it as long as they have a Thai DL and are over 25 years of age. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

My wife doesn't have a drivers license but Roojai insure the the truck in her name and I am down as main driver buy anyone can drive it as long as they have a Thai DL and are over 25 years of age.

Did you have to put the car in her name and then did they use your driving record for establishing the rate.  

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

Neither Mister Prakan nor Roojai are insurers.

They are brokers. Any insurance you get through either of them will be issued by a different company, such as AXA, Viriyah. MSIG etc etc.

Personally I have always used AXA, obtained through AA brokers.

One of the htings to consider is if the insurer's hotline has English language operators and whether they have English speaking claims agents. Not all do.

Roojai have excellent English speaking, reading, writing personnel.

If you want to insure through them tell them I recommended you and I get 200 baht. ????????

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Longwood50 said:

Did you have to put the car in her name and then did they use your driving record for establishing the rate.  

They insure the vehicle for you whoever owns it as far as I know,  they tell you what is insured and what isn't insured when its a truck. 

They have very good English speaking staff that will answer all your questions without obligation so ring em up. 

• Like 1

misterprakan is a broker and gives us option to choose insurer based on the variables we want. ie deductible, valuation of asset, dealer or garage repair, add ons such as 'compulsory ins' for registration, roadside assistance. 

Roojai premiums were lower than MP, but thier valuation of the car was some 20-25% below the market value, which was a major consideration for me. I have not attained the 70 years threshold, so that was not a problem.

Thank you very much for all the contributions.

3 hours ago, G Rex said:

Mister Prakan gave me good cover for my Porsche - the poliJucy was underwritten by Bangkok Insurance.   

Just go directly to BKK insurance. I have been with them 30 years. Have been rear-ended twice and the claims adjuster was there in less than half and hour and both times spoke great English. Today I just claimed for damage to my under engine splash guard from flood damage. Claim accepted in 5 minutes. They simply are the best. 

Edited by marin
  • Thanks 1