Thailand to issue COVID-19 reclassification measures this Friday

webfact

15 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Absolutely - and stop forcing kids to wear masks all day in school!

Be careful what masks you and your loved ones use. It seems (at least in EU and I doubt in Thailand it's much better) that many masks actually contain too much titanium dioxide particles (up to 5x the safe limit) which is known to be carcinogenic. You don't want your child to breath this stuff in and out each day at school. 

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-022-06605-w

If I understand the paper correctly, cotton masks seem to be generally safer than masks made with polyester.

TiO2 particles were not observed in cotton fibers (Fig. 1d), in meltblown non-woven fabrics (Fig. 1f), and in some of the thermobonded non-woven fabrics (Table 1).

Edited by wolf81
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, webfact said:

The Centre for COVID-19 Situation Administration CCSA) is expected to announce a series of measures this Friday, in line with the reclassification of COVID-19 as an “infectious disease under watch”, as Thailand officially moves into a post-pandemic era from October 1st

And the emergency decree under Prawits watch.. [pun intended]

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, bananafish said:

The ones wearing masks while exercising in the gym are the best. 

There was a guy in my gym works out hard every day never takes off his mask wipes down everything he is going to use even the bar keeps away from everyone, then he got Covid, he was shocked and couldn’t understand it.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, cnx101 said:

There was a guy in my gym works out hard every day never takes off his mask wipes down everything he is going to use even the bar keeps away from everyone, then he got Covid, he was shocked and couldn’t understand it.

Ive seen them wipe down whole chairs and tables when going into a popular bar, bizarre, they must bulk buy liters of that nostril irrating bloody alcohol sanitizer

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JCCR6 said:

Why is everyone still wearing masks in this country? Do people like wearing them or what?

Are they? Serious question, because i was chatting to a friend in Pattaya last week who told me nobody's bothering  any more. (I haven't been to Thailand since March 2020)

So are we talking BKK, or the provinces or where? AFAIK, there is no legal requirement to wear a mask any more...correct?

Edited by VBF

5 hours ago, wolf81 said:

Be careful what masks you and your loved ones use. It seems (at least in EU and I doubt in Thailand it's much better) that many masks actually contain too much titanium dioxide particles (up to 5x the safe limit) which is known to be carcinogenic. You don't want your child to breath this stuff in and out each day at school. 

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-022-06605-w

If I understand the paper correctly, cotton masks seem to be generally safer than masks made with polyester.

Interesting report... Several things about its findings...

1. They made findings as to the amounts of titanium dioxide in SOME types of masks, moreso in the reuseable cloth/woven varieties than the single use disposable styles.

2. They made no findings as to whether or how much ofthat compound is released and inhaled from those particular masks when worn.

From the report:

"Face mask have an important role in the measures against the COVID-19 pandemic1. So far, no data are available that indicate that the possible risk associated with the presence of TiO2 particles in face masks outweighs the benefits of wearing face masks as protection measure.

That is why we do not call for people to stop wearing face masks. However, the warning of Palmeiri et al.5 for the possible future consequences caused by a poorly regulated use of nanotechnology in textiles should be extended to face masks where TiO2 particles are applied conventionally, as a white colorant or as a matting agent, or to assure durability reducing polymer breakdown by ultraviolet light3,4."

AND

"No assumptions were made about the likelihood of the release of TiO2 particles itself, since direct measurement of release and inhalation uptake when face masks are worn could not be assessed."

Also, their study seems to have involved 12 randomly selected types of masks obtained in the EU.... none of which were certified by the U.S. NIOSH (National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health) -- which typically certifies the top-line N95 type facemasks.

2 hours ago, paulikens said:

@bananafish Also up there as the best is...all on their motorbikes with no helmets on but masks worn.  oh the irony 

To me the ultimate one is "alone in a car with a mask on". I see a few per day although with most cars you can't see anything because of tinted windows (but I bet there are loads who do it).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, cnx101 said:

The other day I saw a woman having coffee in a shopping mall, she had a P95 mask and disposable latex gloves on. I felt genuinely sorry for her.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, rattlesnake said:

disposable latex gloves

The gloves are what get me (that and facemasks outside far away from anyone).  You obviously take them off at some point, which is likely when you reach some sort of destination.  You may as well just wash your hands thoroughly when you arrive.

I wonder if it's some sort of status thing.  The more scared you are of covid, the more important you are.

9 hours ago, VBF said:

Are they? Serious question, because i was chatting to a friend in Pattaya last week who told me nobody's bothering  any more. (I haven't been to Thailand since March 2020)

So are we talking BKK, or the provinces or where? AFAIK, there is no legal requirement to wear a mask any more...correct?

All you have to do is watch youtube videos on Thailand.  In Bangkok,  the majority are wearing masks. Only westerners,  Indians and non Thais are not wearing it. In Pattaya,  it's mostly the bar girls who are maskless along with the ex pats, tourists and non Thai. Posters on this board have said, even in the countryside the vast majority are wearing masks.

• Thanks 1