Thai Baht continues to weaken below 37.60 Baht/US$ as market awaits outcome of MPC to raise rates

webfact

2 hours ago, nigelforbes said:

I agree. There are plenty of one year at a time options, available for many reasons. But none of them are assured for the probable duration of retirement or even a reasonable period that masquerades as one.

Yes, most of the guys here think a one years extension is retirement security. Most of these guys have been here for a long time and will do anything to remain.  I have a feeling hard times are coming. Hope not , but I for one will just enjoy my self when I want a break from a real retirement destination with permanent residence. 

Not knocking Thailand what so ever. Just not a secure retirement destination.  

I have a pickup in Thailand , at present I am in Laos.  But, love Thailand for the food.  

I occasionally spend the rainy season in Thailand, The air pollution is so bad in this part of the world when they are burning I find it unbearable.

Edited by Gknrd
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Gknrd said:

Exactly what I said, there is no retirement visa here. Only a yearly extension.

Funny, I just applied for the new LTR Visa which is good for 10 years, but then you have to qualify for it in one of 4 ways, so yes it is not for everyone but it is a Long Term Resident style Visa.

1 minute ago, ThailandRyan said:

Funny, I just applied for the new LTR Visa which is good for 10 years, but then you have to qualify for it in one of 4 ways, so yes it is not for everyone but it is a Long Term Resident style Visa.

Yes, I saw that. Best of luck..

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

The USD broke through the 38 Baht to $1 early this afternoon before dropping back to 37.96 per $1 which it currently sits at but has bounced up and down down from 37.93.

image.png.647ae229aa0c5efb313da4f412e8b1af.png 

This morning (28 Sep ~1030am), I went to the ATM to withdraw baht from my US account.  I checked my account amount upon returning home and calculated I got 37.80 exchange rate.  

1 hour ago, redwood1 said:

The party will be over for this leg up about 40.50 I think....Then a pull back and next year very possibly more upside...

What makes you say that?

I'll be happy if it stays above 32.  Anything else is a bonus, as I get paid in US$

3 hours ago, Neeranam said:

How can the dollar be so strong when they are printing trillions?

Probably a great time to exchange all my dollars for Bitcoin. 

Doesn't matter right now, the dollar is the most stable, transparent  and sought after currency in the world. Where do you think the rich Thai's , Russians, Chinese and the rest of the world are parking their money right now? Let me give you a hint, it ain't the Thai baht.  As long as the rich from around the world are buying the dollar.  The US can print until hell freezes over.  

Instead of buying Bitcoin, you should start buying the Chinese Yuan. 

• Love It 1

On 9/27/2022 at 2:21 AM, stupidfarang said:

Where did you see "Uk banks are tightening up on cash withdrawals" ???? False news on your part 

This morning 28/9/22

The Bank of England published a Guide to Executing Bail-in.

As I said earlier, time to buy hard assets.

Not sure why everyone is quoting the XE rate. It's not as if that's the actual rate on the street or even received by bank transfer

Been burnt a few times expecting XE rate but got <deleted> into the bank

Edited by aussiexpat

On 9/28/2022 at 10:57 PM, talahtnut said:

This morning 28/9/22

The Bank of England published a Guide to Executing Bail-in.

As I said earlier, time to buy hard assets.

As it says "a Guide to Executing Bail-in" it is to ensure banks have enough resources to weather a run and we do not have a repeat of what happen in 2007. Saying that it is a worry what this dam government is doing or not doing, so instead of the banks its the government screwing things up. Am sure if Labour (who I have never voted for) stood up and said they would reverse what the government has done and place a short-term special tax in place so the companies making billions will have to help the general population. I see Spain has just brought in a similar tax on the super-rich.