Pattaya mayor announces set prices and legal selling hours for beach services

webfact

Wherever there's gai yang (bbq chicken) there will also be the soi/beach dog annoyance. Be it fleas, sh*t, barking, fighting for control.... Will the fixing of that bigger problem be a tax soon? I would be more than willing to pay to fix that problem than to pay for a chair.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, apetryxx said:

Just what one needs in a free market economy, the government telling people what to pay for goods and services. Anybody out there ever heard of supply and demand?

Yes... the whole world ... that's why we are paying exorbitant prices for energy supplies and eejits are paying up to €50:a day for a sunbed in Mykonos in Greece in high season.
Still better for everyone to regulate the price , especially in Thailand where tourists are screwed so much already... as regards energy supply , someone needs to eliminate the source of the problem, lovely man ! 

2 hours ago, SGD said:

It is the aggressive "demand" from the vendors that is the (occasional) problem but in reality, shouldn't they be off public beaches altogether ?

I think they provide a useful service. 

Not everybody, especially older people, can just sit  directly on the beach which can get rather uncomfortable and hot pretty quickly. 

Most visitors also don't have the means to carry beach chairs and lounges to the beach.   

I live close to Jomtien Beach and regularly rent one of the larger lounge chairs to just sit and read for a few hours with a nice, cold coconut next to me. 

I am always quoted the regular B100 price for the larger chair and have never had a vendor quote more.

Prior to Covid, in response to several negative incidents involving beach chair vendors, Pattaya officials banned the chairs on certain weekdays.  It made going to the beach on those days rather unpleasant as there was no place to sit unless you could carry your own chair or were willing to lay on a beach towel or mat.

No apparent advantage to the rule at all.

Edited by dddave
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, NE1 said:

Shouldn't it also state , that it is not a requirement for a beachgoer to pay for something they do not want.

No one is obliged to rent a chair or whatever. Just sit in the sand if you wish. I find the prices very reasonable .

• Like 2

13 hours ago, SGD said:

It is the aggressive "demand" from the vendors that is the (occasional) problem but in reality, shouldn't they be off public beaches altogether ?

If it’s anything like other beach towns, they have concessions from the local authorities. When those concessions were taken away, as on Phuket a good few years back, they had to fold up their chairs and leave the beach to the utter dismay of the tourists with families and children who could  not sit in the sun all day. This put a lot of people out of work and put off tourists from using the beach. 
Now they are back again of course after a long absence, and everyone is happy again. 

3 hours ago, geisha said:

No one is obliged to rent a chair or whatever. Just sit in the sand if you wish. I find the prices very reasonable .

That was the whole point of my post , not to long ago , there were altercations on the beach between tourists who wanted to just sit / lie on the beach and traders trying to force them to rent chairs.

17 hours ago, rbkk said:

Wherever there's gai yang (bbq chicken) there will also be the soi/beach dog annoyance. Be it fleas, sh*t, barking, fighting for control.... Will the fixing of that bigger problem be a tax soon? I would be more than willing to pay to fix that problem than to pay for a chair.

Indeed. Visiting tourists are not going to pay much mind to set prices for services. They just want to relax and enjoy. But the Thais just don't understand that dogs arriving at same time the food does, cigarette smoke from venders, low life locals on motorbikes on the "promenade" is not good for business. That is outside of "these" cigarette smoking foreigners who most likely are happy as pigs in s### in that sorry environment.