Please suggest a self defence for my age?

3 minutes ago, phetphet said:

I wouldn't suggest learning a martial art at your age for the sole purpose of self defense. Younger men will have much faster reflexes to say the least. Even Mike Tyson was recently warned that he is too old for the fight  game.

But as a method of keeping fit? Sure. I can highly recommend Muay Thai. I usually train five times per week and I am older than you. Currently having a month off on doctor's orders after unrelated surgery, but as soon as the  doc OK's it I will be straight back in the gym.

There is even a guy in his seventies who comes now and again.

I think, I hope, you meant to write, "for the sole purpose of remaining fit".

• Like 1

Run is 100% the best answer.

Not for me, my mind has the power to control dark matter.

This website took down the sad emojis because if I got one more I would destroy the planet.

If I didn't practice Buddhism, I would take over the world.

For all other mortals, run.  100%, run.   You HAVE to trust your gut instinct.    If you sense danger, run.  

run.   

• Haha 1

Don't walk around with heavy gold chains around your neck and a bulging wallet that can attracts the unwanted attention of a certain class of locals, and if you'r in a bind a quick kick to the groin will give you few min. to run...

Edited by ezzra

You posted a similar topic 6 months ago and there were similar responses from some similar posters . My response was get fit and do some boxing if it feels good if only do build your confidence in yourself to know that it is best not to fight but you don't have to feel like a pussy by not fighting if you know you are able to handle yourself a bit if no choice. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

You posted a similar topic 6 months ago and there were similar responses from some similar posters . 

With that, OP may want to get tested for early dementia ... ????

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Iamfalang said:

Run is 100% the best answer.

Not for me, my mind has the power to control dark matter.

This website took down the sad emojis because if I got one more I would destroy the planet.

If I didn't practice Buddhism, I would take over the world.

For all other mortals, run.  100%, run.   You HAVE to trust your gut instinct.    If you sense danger, run.  

run.   

What if the OP can't run? I can't run fast enough to escape a fit attacker.

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I have a friend who was about 70 years old when he was randomly attacked by a drug addict on the street near Sukhumvit Soi 29 in Bangkok.

The drug addict obviously wanted money and he obviously wasn't thinking much. He just stabbed my friend many times with a knife. My friend doesn't look rich, he had no expensive clothes or anything like that, just an ordinary guy walking a kilometer back to his apartment at night.

Could he have done anything to prevent this happening once it started? I have my doubts.

After that, and maybe a week in ICU, he always took a taxi home at night - even for a few hundred meters. I guess that is the best anybody can do to prevent an attack.

Gangs sometimes require wannabe scumbags to go out and king hit some unsuspecting passerby.

I did martial arts many years ago, and the best lesson I learned was to assume every stranger I passed by wished to do me harm and act accordingly to avoid being assaulted.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

What if the OP can't run? I can't run fast enough to escape a fit attacker.

Why weapons were invented, and why I always have one.

Never needed ... but ... 

• Thanks 1