Three year overstay

Elderly Aussie with health issues ( my neighbour ) has a problem , should he go straight to the airport buy a ticket pay the fine and go. He has been advised by an immigration volunteer that that he cannot do this and must surrender himself to the local immigration officer ( Pai ) , he is unable to make a decision.                                           The immigration office have been aware of him for at least a year without making a direct approach , except through the volunteer. I wonder what is the best thing to advise him.
Additional question , if he wants to take the airport option , can he travel on a domestic flight to Bangkok with an emergency issue passport , that has no valid visa stamps. How should he travel to Bangkok ?

20 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I would look for a visa agent who you can trust.

A long time ago I had two years overstay. I was introduced to a guy who previously worked in immigration. I walked with him into that "pay fine" room in immigration, 5 minutes later we were in front of the officer, I paid 20k and all was done. I didn't have to leave the country.

In another case I know a guy had a few days overstay. He walked alone into immigration to sort things out before his flight in a couple of days. He had his flight ticket with him. The immigration detained him there and then and delivered him to the airport on the day of his departure.

I think it's as usual in Thailand: Talk to the right people and all will be sorted. To be fair my experience with my overstay was maybe 20 years ago. But I am sure the principle is still the same. Go there with well connected people.

No, these days if you have to brib* better doing it directly at the source. I read recently of many people that thought they had their papers fixed but in reality the agency just took the money and did nothing.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Zyte said:

Elderly Aussie with health issues

Maybe that is the reason his local Immigration Office are 'sympathetic'. As already suggested by UbonJoe the safest course of action is to exit at airport, pay fine and accept a ban. But depending upon how elderly and how poor the guy's health is would it hurt to consult an agent before doing this? Appreciate that it may cost quite a lot. The other option would be a direct approach to an Immigration Officer in the hope that they would be receptive to making a 'special arrangement'. If the guy could find and take with him a Thai person of repute (such as a school teacher) it may greatly improve his chances of success. 

12 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

I wonder if the guy has the 20k plus flight to Oz fare.

That's the nub of the problem. Does he have somewhere to stay when he gets there? Unlikely, if he is very elderly and skint he will have sold up long ago. Australia is especially expensive as are air fares in general at the moment. The more we think about it the more sense there is in him throwing himself upon the mercy of his local Immigration Office especially as they already know of his plight and are 'soft pedalling' so far?

20 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

Australia is especially expensive as are air fares in general at the moment.

Are not there any homeless shelters? Also, health care is free unlike in the USA. So what's the problem?

Edited by Onerak
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Not silly idea at all.

Problem is "elderly with 3 year overstay often = Skint"

I wonder if the guy has the 20k plus flight to Oz fare.

14k per year for agent retirement extensions in the past 3 years sounding very nice in hindsight.

As the song goes ...hit the road Jack.

Agree 100%, one also wonders if he has anywhere to actually fly to or if this is his only home....

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Onerak said:

Are not there any homeless shelters? Also, health care is free unlike in the USA. So what's the problem?

Good point about free healthcare. If the guy is both elderly and skint he is likely to need treatment at some stage but will be unable to pay for it in Thailand. As regards homeless shelters would anyone who rocked up in Australia be entitled to accommodation?  

9 minutes ago, BritTim said:

Surrendering at the local immigration office is extremely high risk. It is really a last resort. Indeed, it can force immigration to take action where they have previously been turning a blind eye to the situation.

His financial situation is an absolutely critical factor.

If he has the finances to return to Australia and live there (and wishes to do so) arrange to leave as soon as possible. The domestic flight is no problem. The airline does not care about the overstay, and you do not pass immigration until leaving in Bangkok. The fine will be 20,000 baht, and he will be banned from return to Thailand for a period that depends on the length of his overstay (three to five years).

If he is financially secure, and wants to stay in Thailand, there are fixers who can resolve this situation. I am not aware of the current costs, but it will not be cheap.

Totally sound advice! The guy is obviously concerned and seems to wish to get the matter 'regularised'. Given that, it's strange he's let it go for 3 years? As you point out, continuing keeping his head down is safer than surrendering to the Immigration Office even with a prepared explanation, representation and offering some form of arrangement. It all comes down to his personal financial situation.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Sheryl said:

"should he go straight to the airport buy a ticket pay the fine and go"

Absolutely. And since OP specificall yasked this I think we can assuem his friend does have the means to do this.

This is the only option that will avoid risk of imprisonment in the IDC.

Advice given by immigration volunteer in Pai is totally wrong.

When passport is checked at airport it is usually just the face page, for purposes of identification. But if really concerned, travel by bus/van.

Buses and trains may check passport

2 hours ago, TaoNow said:

Out of curiosity, it would be relevant to know what the health issue is.

If I had a terminal illness with, say, a year or two to live, I would risk just being on continued over-stay, as long as I had compassionate end-of-life care...

...rather than huffing it back to Oz or some other country where the hospice care might be worse.

It's my opinion that Thailand Immo is not concerned about these kind of over-stayers.  They want to nab the international criminals or those with excessive debts to Thai institutions (e.g., courts, hospitals, etc.).

Is OP's friend's in an end-of-life situation?

No way is hospice care worse in Oz than in Thailand, where it is essentially non-existant.

However no reason to think this is a terminal situation. OP just said he had health issues, not that he is dying.

There have been well publicized arrests of elderly farang with health problems, disabilities etc by Thai immigration in the past. Thai immigration can and will nab any over-staying who comes to  their attention regardless of age and health.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

19 hours ago, Onerak said:

If he has been away for that length of time to qualify for free health care there is a waiting period of two years on return, maybe the gov will take pity on him as I'm guessing he may have old timers disease.

8 minutes ago, heybuz said:

If he has been away for that length of time to qualify for free health care there is a waiting period of two years on return, maybe the gov will take pity on him as I'm guessing he may have old timers disease.

Not correct re waiting period.Easy to check his former medicare record and will be eligble.

• Like 1

"... should he go straight to the airport buy a ticket pay the fine and go. He has been advised by an immigration volunteer that that he cannot do this and must surrender himself to the local immigration officer ( Pai ) , he is unable to make a decision.  The immigration office have been aware of him for at least a year without making a direct approach , except through the volunteer."

Clearly the IO is aware of him and his situation, and have been unwilling to act until now.

Has your friend asked the volunteer what will happen to him after he surrenders to the IO and what his options are?

If your friend has more information on what the IO plan do do with him, it will help him make a decision.

You friend may also want to inform the volunteer of his full situation.  For example, I am elderly and have health issues, but I have been able to continue to annually extend my "retirement visa".  I have no family in Australia, no relatives with whom I have been in contact with over the past 50-odd years, and all my friends In Australia are either dead or 85+ years old.  I am not eligible for any Australian government pension or assistance (to my knowledge).  I have no need or desire to return to Australia, and wish to die here.

Maybe if your friend is in a similar situation, his local IO maybe "persuaded" to work out a solution in his favour.

Good luck.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1