Handsfree only: New penalties for using a mobile phone while driving in Thailand

webfact

4 hours ago, jaiyen said:

Other countries have big fines and loss of demerit points and still catch hundreds of phoe users every week. Thailand has no chance of stopping it. It is the norm for drivers and riders to be on the phone.

And with many cars having dark windows front included, front door and front window not allowed in many countries, impossible to see inside so drivers can continue doing it 

2 hours ago, SuwadeeS said:

1. I do not believe that this law will be nationwide and strict enforced.

2. Since the people even do not care to darken their Windows completly, how will they check it. The police is even afraid of enforcing this against the rich and powerful.

3. As we all know, Thais do not care at all about the traffic laws. Remember how long the law exist against .motorcycles on the sidewalk. It's still the Same.

4. Thais are learning resistent when it comes to the laws.

5. The RTP is to lazy too to do their job  excepted when it comes to foreigners who ate easy to rip off.

6. As long they do not use automated camaras for speeding and phone using Systems, nothing will happen.

7.Thailand never will improve.

We could go forever.

6- They do use cameras. 

7- Why not?

5- Not true, just that most foreigners are too lazy to learn the language, and generally have no influence, and are not even on the bottom rung of Thailand's strict hierarchical social structure. 

4- often Thais want freedom, look at the name of the country.

3 - When I first came here, I went to a large protest on Sanam Luangabout the new law to wear helmets. We laugh when we see foreigners wearing bicycle helmets ???? 

2- I have a dark window, what do I not care about? 

I don't want Thailand to become like the west. I was in Scotland and told I couldn't eat a sandwich or drink my water when at the traffic lights, total nonsense. 

Edited by Neeranam
  • Like 2

It is the same all over the world,drivers can not resist to answer the phone or have a quick look while driving.

It is very dangerous no matter where you are.

It is jumped on by most governments as a good money maker.

Is there a quick fix?

Sure there is,just have a jammer installed in all (new) cars.

Job done.

• Love It 1

20 minutes ago, SymS said:

Does it apply to people driving motorbikes too? ????

9 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

You are the 5th here to ask that question. 

But nobody seems to have read the second of the linked articles - 

The rule also applies to motorcyclists who are permitted to attach their phones to the dashboard or windscreen of their motorcycles in a manner that does not obstruct their views of the traffic. However, they still need to pull over if they want to swipe on their phones for safety.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Moti24 said:

There should be penalties for pedestrians, and those who are glued to their phones in shopping malls; I'm fed-up with having to walk around them!

Why Walk around them. I enjoy the look ok their faces as the look up and see me in their way.

I don't move for them I figure if they bump into enough people they will get the hint 

1 hour ago, Lemsta69 said:

that's all part of the charm of living here. God forbid that it becomes like Singapore. what a fine city that is ????

I can understand the word Charm, sadly this is the same as " This is Thailand "  I just heard this from a Thai government guy the other day being older and wiser?  I said to him if thousand of people are dying each year needlessly the vehicle was invented in the West so were the rules/execution. In life one would think take something and hopefully make it better like the Japanese did with cars, when it comes to driving it isn't better it is 2nd if not the worse year in year out.  Why would you think say this is Thailand when it is killing your people why would anyone with an ounce of brain would adopt to driving the Thai way here unless they have a death wish.

Response?  Official head down eyes roaming =  Lost of Face!????

4 hours ago, Moti24 said:

There should be penalties for pedestrians, and those who are glued to their phones in shopping malls; I'm fed-up with having to walk around them!

Except for children and old people, I just walk straight through them as if they weren't there.

5 hours ago, smedly said:

they generally are only a risk to themselves, using a mobile device is entirely different and is recognized across the world as one of the top causes of road collisions which is why it is being addressed with severe penalties

You call 400 to 1,000 baht fine severe?  It should start at 1,000 baht and increase considerably for subsequent infringments.

1 hour ago, userabcd said:

Handsfree should also not be allowed.

The driver is distracted whilst concentrating on what they are discussing on the phone.

What about officers in police cars, when there is only one driving. Surely there should always be two officers in a police car, when you see them that is.

2 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

What about officers in police cars, when there is only one driving. Surely there should always be two officers in a police car, when you see them that is.

What if one wants to just go down to the somtam stall for his breakfast?

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, jaiyen said:

Other countries have big fines and loss of demerit points and still catch hundreds of phoe users every week. Thailand has no chance of stopping it. It is the norm for drivers and riders to be on the phone.

not for me I NEVER hold/talk send msgs when driving NEVER !!!

1 hour ago, Neeranam said:

6- They do use cameras. 

7- Why not?

5- Not true, just that most foreigners are too lazy to learn the language, and generally have no influence, and are not even on the bottom rung of Thailand's strict hierarchical social structure. 

4- often Thais want freedom, look at the name of the country.

3 - When I first came here, I went to a large protest on Sanam Luangabout the new law to wear helmets. We laugh when we see foreigners wearing bicycle helmets ???? 

2- I have a dark window, what do I not care about? 

I don't want Thailand to become like the west. I was in Scotland and told I couldn't eat a sandwich or drink my water when at the traffic lights, total nonsense. 

years ago I remember a woman getting DUN for eating an apple while driving !!!!!

This is a good idea, and is already in effect throughout the world. Everyone knows how dangerous it is to hold a phone in one hand, and drive with the other hand, much less texting while driving. 

The real question is, will the police enforce the rule? Since they NEVER pull anyone over while driving, I rather doubt it. 

6 hours ago, Geoffggi said:

Does this new rule also apply to motorbike riders ...........................LOL

Forcing motor bike riders to wear a proper helmet, would also eliminate using handheld phones.

4 hours ago, edogthong said:

I really wish they would do something about all the motorbike drivers who drive around at night with no lights. I've never even seen it mentioned yet it's the one issue that's put me in danger the most times. It's always just about helmets which only endanger your own life.

Now, Im a truck owner, I don't believe how many people ride without lights - <deleted> - I have nearly had a few oncoming riders over the front of the bonnet whilst overtaking on a dark road. If they don't have the money for a lightbulb, they sure as hell dont have the cash to have their bike extracted from my radiator.

Cant the local authorities just give them out for free? Im sure if there was some kind of campaign they could find a way of misappropriating a few hundred K and still buy enough front light bulbs for every village in the district.