For many, Thailand’s UN vote on Russia still a puzzle

webfact

I'm guessing most people, including Thais, couldn't find UA on a map, let alone care about what is going on over there.  I certainly don't.

With that, most probably couldn't even find TH on a map, do you think anyone cares or even knows they abstained.

9 minutes ago, ikke1959 said:

Thailand want to have tourists, but in their actions they make Thailand look with no balls. A country that so called don't want to choose sides, while the whole world is condemning this war, do they think it is a good promotion??   

Guessing that the potential tourists - when thinking about their next cheap holidays - will google what side the country in that or other war had taken?

BTW, wondering what the results of the "side taking" would be if the voting was anonymous? (as it was required and vehemently refused)

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, Purdey said:

Let's not forget, Thailand was not the only country that abstained. Why  should it take sides when it comes to a vote. 

You will remember that  the Europeans didn't take sides when France annexed parts of Thailand. I used to know a very old Thai royal who informed me his father could never forgive France, in fact he kept a lifelong hatred against that country, for annexing its land in what is now Cambodia and Laos in the forties and vetoed Thailand becoming a member of the United Nations in order to shut Thailand up and keep those annexed territories. In 1941, France ceded some land back to Thailand but Thailand was forced in 1946 to cede land to France  in Laos and Cambodia (which were part of Thailand's territory). Thailand owes the west very little. 

i9G6hkzCUsDUy7ZaN815hCn0PzhJkEin3dM8cPTyqyo.png

Thailand owes Great Brittan for Great Brittan's recognition of Thailand's sovereignty over the Kingdom of Pattani ( now Pattani, Yala and Narathiwat). No fake public referendum necessary, the independence of the Muslim kingdom was irrelevant. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

33 minutes ago, John Drake said:

Seri Thai did not begin to have the effectiveness of the Viet Minh or MPAJA. Read up on those movements. By the way, it's spelled Pearl Harbor, not Pearl Harbour.

Harbor is the American spelling, anathema to a Brit, along with all the other dropped u words.

The Viet Minh had backing from the US, Russia and China. There's no comparison. Seti Thai were Thais who hated the Japanese invaders, working closely with US and Allied forces in the provision of intelligence, amongst other things. I don't see how you can just write them off. They played an extremely valuable role in liberating Thailand from the Japanese invaders.

• Like 1

Thailand may think it is remaining neutral, but it isn't. They are simply doing the bidding of their eastern masters. Exactly what China, Russia and Iran want them to do. Like good หมาน้อย.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, DaveMG said:

Thailand may think it is remaining neutral, but it isn't. They are simply doing the bidding of their eastern masters. Exactly what China, Russia and Iran want them to do. Like good หมาน้อย.

Iran lies some distance west of Thailand, as does Moscow, and what sway, if any, does Iran have over Thailand? And what interest would Iran or China have in the Thai vote? China does not approve of the Russian invasion, although it won't openly condemn it. The war has gifted them huge bonuses in the cut price oil from Russia, and maybe even the use of invasive tactics against a neighbour, and the powerlessness of any opposition. But there's no way the voting is going to seriously upset trade deals between any of the in favour or abstaining voting nations, except for Russia and its allies, all 4 of them. North Korea, Syria, Nicaragua and Belarus. 

... On 24 February 2022, Russia invaded Ukraine ...

"The overall number of estimated deaths in the War in Donbas, which started on 6 April 2014, was 14,200–14,400 through 31 December 2021, including non-combat military deaths. Most of the deaths took place in the first two years of the war between 2014 and 2015, when major combat took place before the Minsk agreements."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casualties_of_the_Russo-Ukrainian_War#:~:text=The overall number of estimated,place before the Minsk agreements.

Did Ukraine bomb the Donbas?

"Radio Liberty also concluded that "Despite Denials, All Evidence For Deadly Explosion Points To Kyiv". CNN said that it was the first time that civilians had been killed in an attack by the Ukrainian air force during the 2014 pro-Russian unrest in the Donbas."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_in_Donbas_(2014–2022)

31 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

After reading https://asiatimes.com/2022/09/the-road-to-war-in-ukraine-fact-vs-fiction/ I believe The US to be the guilty party in pushing Putin to invade Ukraine.

I followed all the links and read most of the articles they dishe up. But I don't see anywhere Putin being quoted as saying I'm attacking because of NATO. Because of Nazis (Zelensky's Jewish), genocidal attacks on Russians in Donbas and other utterly spurious self serving trumped up charges, yes, but NATO? And the irony is of course, he has driven Ukraine right into NATO's arms, and what can he do about it now? He leveraged Donbas and the baseless Nazi accusations to justify what he really had in mind, which I believe is zelomplete take over and control of European oil and gas supplies, access to the Black Sea and grain and fertilizer shipments to the West. Ie food, fuel and transport. He's pretty much achieved those goals, but now he has to secure his position, and already it's all starting to fall apart. It's a very long front he has to defend, and hence the conscription. 300,000 troops to hold the line. For how long? Zelensky won't give up. And if the US has the will neither will they. As for Europe, they really need to deal with this. It's really they who are over a barrel.

51 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

After reading https://asiatimes.com/2022/09/the-road-to-war-in-ukraine-fact-vs-fiction/ I believe The US to be the guilty party in pushing Putin to invade Ukraine.

Well if you must take him seriously then fine, James Carden Russian Apologist

https://usefulstooges.com/tag/james-carden/

https://www.forbes.com/sites/melikkaylan/2015/05/21/top-kremlin-critics-in-the-west-face-media-smears-on-the-home-front/

However even Putin has said what the reason was.

Putin compares himself to Peter the Great in quest to take back Russian lands

Edited by Bkk Brian

7 hours ago, gearbox said:

What's new here, they were providing R&R for the war criminals in the Vietnam war, some of the said criminals then retired in SEA openly bragging in bars about "Nam".

Won't be surprised if Russians are relaxing here after the battles in Ukraine.

"From 1964 to 1973, the U.S. dropped more than 2.5M tons of ordnance on Laos during 580,000 bombing sorties—equal to a planeload of bombs every eight minutes, 24 hours a day, for nine years – making Laos the most heavily bombed country per capita in history."

No upside for Thailand to condemn the Russians. Nothing to gain.

The amount of explosives dropped on Japan in WW2 just for the two atomic bombs was 40 kilotons.

Wanna trade?

12 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Include me in that. Wise to not get involved in European conflicts.

Or is it too difficult to take an ethical position? Luckily for the world, most countries did become involved in European affairs- that's what stopped the systematic murder of millions of people aka 'The Holocaust'. 

Anyhow, I hope you're sharing your 'wisdom' with Ukrainian civilians.

3 hours ago, AnotherFarang8 said:

US will throw out Ukraine after using it to the full potential, after it is no longer beneficial to the interests of US. Everyone knows that, I mean political circles, not common brainwashed populations. So Thailand did absolutely correct not taking sides.

Right so the political circles are the only ones that know the truth, how do you know?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, ausbeat999 said:

Wen you know the truth with what is actually going on , Thailand has done the right thing 100%

Do you know what is actually going on ?  

Last week Russian FM Lavrov spoke to  a BCC TV reporter :  QUOTE But on Thursday, Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov looked me in the eye and told me things were not as they seemed.   "We didn't invade Ukraine," he claimed.  "We declared a special military operation because we had absolutely no other way of explaining to the West that dragging Ukraine into NATO was a criminal act."   UNQUOTE  

If that is the issue then I can assure that EVERY member state of NATO has to accept new members and even the smallest member state has a VETO right /  Finland and Sweden applied for NATO membership last May and it could be 2023 before they are accepted.  I am sure that most of NATO member states would use their veto to prevent Ukraine's admission because it would be too risky to guarantee protection of a new member which is already in a "special military operation" with Russia.

The abstention of Thailand is understandable because they have no bone in this fight.