China Covid: Millions back in lockdown as Beijing doubles down on zero-Covid

onthedarkside

43 minutes ago, 2baht said:

....and what is it you are trying to say???

What is it I'm trying to say ???
Off-course, I'm trying to be funny. My posts are a "send up" of those people who don't like Chinese tourists.
I myself, it makes no difference to me if I see loads of Chinese tourists at Savarnabumi Airport or Pattaya, or I see none at all.  I simply think it's hilarious that loads of people simply don't like them Chinese tourists, and such people are actually happy that covid has killed off the number of Chinese tourist in Thailand.

Some people must really hate them Chinese tourists, in order to reckon that one of the benefits of covid has been killing off the Chinese tourists. Them Chinese were flooding into Thailand during the decade prior to covid. I say with laughter, I look forward to the day when the whole of planet earth returns to normal, and we get back to seeing all the normal tourists in Thailand, London, Paris, etc, etc.     ????

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, tonbridgebrit said:

Some people must really hate them Chinese tourists

You need to broaden your horizon beyond Suvarnabhumi airport and Pattaya, maybe you have'nt noticed the aggressive expansionist policies of the Chinese Communist Party over the past 20 years, the debt traps they have subjected poorer countries to, the massive expansion of their military, the constant threats to democratic Taiwan, it goes way beyond tourists in Thailand!

Edited by 2baht

1 hour ago, tonbridgebrit said:

So, what lots of people are trying to say, is this. 

"This covid thing has been a blessing in disguise. It's killed some people, and it's been an inconvenience for most people. Them vaccination jabs and all the rest of it. But it's all been worth it.

It's cleared out the Chinese tourists at Savurnabami and Don Muang Airport, and also Pattaya, and all over Thailand" .     ????

And,  "oh, they started this covid thing, and it's now biting them on the ___ ,  they're having lockdowns in China, nobody in Europe or America is doing a lockdown, and they're the ones who aren't allowed to leave their own country and turn up in Thailand" .     ????

If you were unable to read between the lines..

I detest mass Chinese tourism 

The fact that Covid kept them away from Thailand is a gold star for Covid in my book 

Edited by hotandsticky

2 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

The fact that Covid kept them away from Thailand is a gold star for Covid in my book 

You might want to consider your future plans of living in Thailand as mass Chinese tourism will inevitably resume.

8 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

You might want to consider your future plans of living in Thailand as mass Chinese tourism will inevitably resume.

Inevitably as in when? With Xii having the country in zero covid mode it could be years as the country of China seems to be imploding financially.

2 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Inevitably as in when? With Xii having the country in zero covid mode it could be years as the country of China seems to be imploding financially.

Inevitable as in eventually.

As for China imploding financially, been watching Jog Blogs? Don’t hold your breath though.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 2baht said:

You need to broaden your horizon beyond Suvarnabhumi airport and Pattaya, maybe you have'nt noticed the aggressive expansionist policies of the Chinese Communist Party over the past 20 years, the debt traps they have subjected poorer countries to, the massive expansion of their military, the constant threats to democratic Taiwan, it goes way beyond tourists in Thailand!

So, you hate China's foreign policy, and you don't like the Chinese tourists.

The debt trap they've laid on poorer nations ?   You do realise China in Africa today is a 'diluted action replay'  of what Europe did earlier on ?  France and Britain sent soldiers out there, to carve out empires, and I'm not interested in blasting Britain for creating "the Empire where the Sun never sets".  ????  
Massive military expansion ?   China joined the 'nuclear bomb club' back in 1960s, so you reckon only NATO and Russia should have nukes ?   You do realise the USA navy is massively greater than what China has got ?
As for Taiwan, how about let the two Chinas carry on or, re-start, their Chinese civil war.  You do realise Chiang Kai-Shek is the Founding Father of modern-day Taiwan ?  You do realise he was also leader of main-land China for two decades, from the late 1920s onwards ?

You hate the Chinese government, but you don't hate the people in mainland-China ???   I wonder.   ????

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

Given that Xi's policy seems to be that foreign travel will resume only after Covid is eradicated in China, that could be decades away,

3 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

You detest mass Chinese tourism ?  So if Chinese tourists made up just 5% of the tourists entering Thailand, that's okay ?  If tourists from North America, Europe, Japan and Australia, when combined, if they outnumber the Chinese by 20 to 1, that's okay then ?   ????

Do you wonder why Thailand allowed the flood of Chinese tourists during the decade before Covid ?  So you reckon Thailand made a mistake doing this ? 
Don't bother trying to tell the Thais this.      ????

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, tonbridgebrit said:

You detest mass Chinese tourism ?  So if Chinese tourists made up just 5% of the tourists entering Thailand, that's okay ?  If tourists from North America, Europe, Japan and Australia, when combined, if they outnumber the Chinese by 20 to 1, that's okay then ?   ????

Do you wonder why Thailand allowed the flood of Chinese tourists during the decade before Covid ?  So you reckon Thailand made a mistake doing this ? 

I think Thailand made a mistake with Chinese mass tourism, many locals agree with that. Mass environmental destruction with only limited benefits to just few.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, stevenl said:

I think Thailand made a mistake with Chinese mass tourism, many locals agree with that. Mass environmental destruction with only limited benefits to just few.

I have no doubt many locals agree with you. I also have no doubt that many more locals are quite happy with Chinese tourism. 

In fact, when I was working in the tourism industry in Europe, most of our suppliers counted Chinese tourism as their main source of revenue and keep requesting for more.

18 minutes ago, tonbridgebrit said:

The debt trap they've laid on poorer nations ?   You do realise China in Africa today is a 'diluted action replay'  of what Europe did earlier on ?  France and Britain sent soldiers out there, to carve out empires, and I'm not interested in blasting Britain for creating "the Empire where the Sun never sets".  ????  
Massive military expansion ?   China joined the 'nuclear bomb club' back in 1960s, so you reckon only NATO and Russia should have nukes ?   You do realise the USA navy is massively greater than what China has got ?
As for Taiwan, how about let the two Chinas carry on or, re-start, their Chinese civil war.  You do realise Chiang Kai-Shek is the Founding Father of modern-day Taiwan ?  You do realise he was also leader of main-land China for two decades, from the late 1920s onwards ?

You hate the Chinese government, but you don't hate the people in mainland-China ???   I wonder.   ????

Those who still believe in the debunked debt trap diplomacy can’t accept the fact that most of the participants in the BRI feel that it has done wonders for their country and has opened up their countries to amazing economic potential. With very few exceptions, the debt to China is significantly less than the debt to western corporations and institutions like the world bank and the imf. Even in the case of Sri Lanka, they actually owed more to Japan than to China.

In the case of Taiwan, it’s the normal western interference and meddling so I won’t even bother to go there.

24 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Given that Xi's policy seems to be that foreign travel will resume only after Covid is eradicated in China, that could be decades away,

Pre covid, Chinese tourists were a major source of revenue to many countries, here and abroad. I have lots of European supplier friends who lament the loss of income from Chinese tourism.

12 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

I have no doubt many locals agree with you. I also have no doubt that many more locals are quite happy with Chinese tourism. 

In fact, when I was working in the tourism industry in Europe, most of our suppliers counted Chinese tourism as their main source of revenue and keep requesting for more.

"I also have no doubt that many more locals are quite happy with Chinese tourism." 

You would be incorrect in your thinking. Some want them back, a vast majority doesn't. I'm talking Phuket here, can't speak for tourism involved in other places.

• Thumbs Up 1

18 minutes ago, stevenl said:

"I also have no doubt that many more locals are quite happy with Chinese tourism." 

You would be incorrect in your thinking. Some want them back, a vast majority doesn't. I'm talking Phuket here, can't speak for tourism involved in other places.

Do you have a link to that poll?

2 minutes ago, stevenl said:

You make a claim, I disagree based on knowledge of the local tourism industry, so you require a link from me.

????

You made a claim, I made a counter claim. Unfortunately neither of us can back up our claims so both are unsubstantiated.

6 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

Apologies, I forgot to add that it would be bad for many suppliers if Chinese tourism doesn’t resume soon.

I still don't see what that has to do with the fact that if China's zero-covid policies continue, the return of Chinese tourists to Thailand could be years or decades away.

7 hours ago, tonbridgebrit said:

I don't recall using the word hate, that's YOUR assumption! Is it compulsory to like Chinese? How many staying at YOUR place?

11 hours ago, tonbridgebrit said:

What is it I'm trying to say ???
Off-course, I'm trying to be funny. My posts are a "send up" of those people who don't like Chinese tourists.
I myself, it makes no difference to me if I see loads of Chinese tourists at Savarnabumi Airport or Pattaya, or I see none at all.  I simply think it's hilarious that loads of people simply don't like them Chinese tourists, and such people are actually happy that covid has killed off the number of Chinese tourist in Thailand.

Some people must really hate them Chinese tourists, in order to reckon that one of the benefits of covid has been killing off the Chinese tourists. Them Chinese were flooding into Thailand during the decade prior to covid. I say with laughter, I look forward to the day when the whole of planet earth returns to normal, and we get back to seeing all the normal tourists in Thailand, London, Paris, etc, etc.     ????

It's not the world that has to return to normal but ratherthe CCP. before Chinese tourists return. Unfortunately, this is the new normal for the CCP.  Looks like it's going to be a very long wait as long as that zero covid policy is in effect.

9 hours ago, tonbridgebrit said:

The Thais don't like the Chinese tourists either.

3 hours ago, 2baht said:

I don't recall using the word hate, that's YOUR assumption! Is it compulsory to like Chinese? How many staying at YOUR place?

If you dislike a people based on their nationality, that would be bigotry. Usually it's accompanied by hate or at least distaste, but you may be an exception. As for Chinese staying at his place, is it common for those resident here to be living with tourists of any nationality?

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, placeholder said:

If you dislike a people based on their nationality, that would be bigotry. Usually it's accompanied by hate or at least distaste, but you may be an exception. As for Chinese staying at his place, is it common for those resident here to be living with tourists of any nationality?

I dislike a people/people based on their actions.

I tend to like people who are generally nice and behave respectfully.

I tend to dislike people who do not  -  irrespective of colour, race or creed.

My experience of Chinese tourists puts them in the 'dislike' category.

1 hour ago, hotandsticky said:

I dislike a people/people based on their actions.

I tend to like people who are generally nice and behave respectfully.

I tend to dislike people who do not  -  irrespective of colour, race or creed.

My experience of Chinese tourists puts them in the 'dislike' category.

Pattaya has arguably the greatest concentration of western tourists in Thailand. If one were to judge westerners based on these tourists behaviour and actions, then I think it would be an extremely flawed view.

What do you think?

• Like 1