Lack of psychiatrists leaves Thailand grappling with rising suicides, depression

webfact

image.jpeg

The number of people in Thailand suffering from mental problems rose from 1.3 million in 2015 to 2.3 million last year, while the number of suicides is also on the increase.

These alarming figures suggest the country’s mental health is a ticking time bomb that needs to be tackled urgently to avoid the disastrous effects of an explosion.

Wasted lives

One mother told Thai PBS World of her anguish as she watches her son’s life spiral out of control after he chose a path of drug abuse to deal with his mental issues.

“I noticed the change in his behavior, but could not afford treatment,” the mother said on condition of anonymity.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/lack-of-psychiatrists-leaves-thailand-grappling-with-rising-suicides-depression/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2022-10-31

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

5 hours ago, webfact said:

The number of people in Thailand suffering from mental problems rose from 1.3 million in 2015 to 2.3 million last year

And that is only the reported cases ...

5 hours ago, webfact said:

the country’s mental health is a ticking time bomb that needs to be tackled urgently to avoid the disastrous effects of an explosion.

As Tarteso mentioned above , the key is in education , and the prospect of a better future ... but , in Thailand , many do seem to prefer the daily dose of Yaba and alcohol . Living just from day to day without any will or power to change this , they are bound for depression and mental problems . 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Seems just co-incidence then that this coincides with the latest Junta takeover, banning of free speech, deliberate junta destruction of the economy.

I guess the red shirts had no sponsor anymore and they could work or just kill themselves. They choose the easier alternative.

Not that I am sure that my interpretation is correct. It is based on hot air just like your interpretation.

Just blame the others. They must be responsible! 

10 countries with the highest prevalence of depression

1. Ukraine, 6.3%
  2. Australia, 5.9%
  3. Estonia, 5.9%
  4. USA, 5.9%
  5. Brazil, 5.8%
  6. Portugal, 5.7%
  7. Greece, 5.7%
  8. Belarus, 5.6%
  9. Finland, 5.6%
  10. Lithuania, 5.6%

https://www.factsinstitute.com/ranking/countries-with-the-highest-prevalence-of-depression/

10 countries with the lowest prevalence of depression

1. Solomon Islands, 2.9%
  2. Papua New Guinea, 3.0%
  3. Timor-Leste, 3.0%
  4. Kiribati, 3.1%
  5. Micronesia, 3.1%
  6. Vanuatu, 3.1%
  7. Laos, 3.2%
  8. Samoa, 3.2%
  9. Tonga, 3.2%
  10. Nepal, 3.2%

Mostly hot countries low depression,vitamin d, getting outdoors

Edited by Sparktrader
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

10 countries with the highest prevalence of depression

1. Ukraine, 6.3%
  2. Australia, 5.9%
  3. Estonia, 5.9%
  4. USA, 5.9%
  5. Brazil, 5.8%
  6. Portugal, 5.7%
  7. Greece, 5.7%
  8. Belarus, 5.6%
  9. Finland, 5.6%
  10. Lithuania, 5.6%

https://www.factsinstitute.com/ranking/countries-with-the-highest-prevalence-of-depression/

I think other countries would be higher where they don't feel free to speak. Still not good that Australia is so high. I wonder what it is. Could be rural folk. Or kids on computers. 

Edited by Fat is a type of crazy

4 minutes ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

Off topic but Indonesia 77 and Thailand 80 are not particularly densely populated out of 195 countries. Indonesia is large being 15th biggest in the world.

Still small though. Not many large countries. Oz is large but 90% unliveable.

7 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

High cost of living

Boring

No culture

Full of bogans

The country is run by parasites

The cost of living is a bit bad.

I remember there being more bogans before, i.e. the seventies as a kid, and the eighties and many bogans now are cashed up due to big pay for trades. Do you think bogans are depressed or cause depression in others.

I am suspicious of culture. Aspects are nice for sure  but when I hear the word culture I often think of something created by those in power to give wishes and dreams but not a good reality to those with no power. 

Surely much worse political and public servant parasites in Thailand. 

Edited by Fat is a type of crazy
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

The cost of living is a bit bad.

I remember there being more bogans before, i.e. the seventies as a kid, and the eighties and many bogans now are cashed up due to big pay for trades. Do you think bogans are depressed or cause depression in others.

I am suspicious of culture. Aspects are nice for sure  but when I hear the word culture I often think of something created by those in power to give wishes and dreams but not a good reality to those with no power. 

Surely much worse political and public servant parasites in Thailand. 

Bogans seem happy being bogans. I think they cause depression in others being bogans. Non bogans dont want to be near them.

Thailand has food culture, friendly women. Go to glasses shop or dr flirt with nurses or assistant. In Oz they think you creepy for being a man.

I see more happy people in Thailand. The bad Thais seem to be into drugs.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, webfact said:

The number of people in Thailand suffering from mental problems rose from 1.3 million in 2015 to 2.3 million last year, while the number of suicides is also on the increase.

Well lets face it over the last 7 to 8 years there hasn't been much to look forward to.

For some the stress of everything going backwards leads many to drink/drugs and unfortunately some to an early grave.

3 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Well lets face it over the last 7 to 8 years there hasn't been much to look forward to.

For some the stress of everything going backwards leads many to drink/drugs and unfortunately some to an early grave.

7 or 8 years? Covid lasted 2.5 years.

• Haha 1

My sister in laws says she is an psychologist, ( But I don't believe it anyway), but she says she can't find a job... Now it seems very strange to me, as so many Thais have mental problems caused by several problems and sometimes reslting in alcoholism, drugs, or suicides..Never heard of groups for people to talk about sexual abuse, victims of accidents, or traumatic experiences, people who caused a deadly accident, gambling addicted etc etc.. Why??? These people need help....   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, scorecard said:

Qualified. How well qualified? 

Farang buddy was put in contact with a farang 'psychologist' a couple of years back in Bkk.

Each session 2,000Baht payable b4 session starts. After a number of sessions patient asked for a report using the xxx assessment protocol plus evidence of Dr's qualifications, as requested by his health insurance providor.

Psychologist disappeared, Office of condo where he was renting discovered he had given them a copy of a fake passport.

Farangs allowed to do that work in Thailand? Alarm bells 2000 baht upfront plus farang.

He probably watched Oprah and Dr Phil for ideas.