Does anything work here?

herfiehandbag

16 hours ago, possum1931 said:

The majority of Thai people, I will not say they are stupid, but they do have a sad lack of intelligence and common sense, their road behaviour tells you that as most Thai's do ride motorbikes, let their underage children ride them on main roads, leave and enter side roads on the wrong side as well as just riding on the wrong side of the road.

I am not going off topic here, just using road behaviour as an example, there are also other examples.

I confess myself bemused by posters that claim the traffic problem of crazy drivers is apparently confined to LOS.

I've noticed that NZ roads are now full of nutters behind the wheel, to the point I will not drive on a weekday, unless essential.

To legally ride a m'bike in NZ incurs a financial penalty as so many riders are injured. If the % of road users on m'bikes was as high as LOS, IMO the death toll would be considerably higher.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Was just in Penang, contemplating a relo- there.

Much, much more efficient in every sense, English widely spoken, prices about the same. Every cab turns on the meter before you even get in.

But no Sanuk-vibe. So it was Chiang Mai in a route. 'Wasn't even close. Def worth a look for you, tho. 

On 11/2/2022 at 11:52 AM, possum1931 said:

Any work that has been done to my house in the last 15 years, ie electrics, building works or repairs etc, have been excellent, apart from only one odd occasion.

I could give a different story. There were so many stuff ups with my house build I've thought of pulling it down and building again. I'm constantly fixing cracked walls and despairing about pathways dropping away and cracking floor tiles. There was shoddy workmanship in many different areas. Shortly after moving in, we had to hire an excavator to move the two overflowing sewage wells away from the house to areas where they could drain properly. The build did coincide with the start of covid lockdowns, and we found ourselves 1200 miles away and unable to supervise. For the same reasons, the builder had trouble finding qualified workers and compromised with dolts. 

I once gave some work to an expat to do some major work in a previous house. He gave the job to his unqualified BIL who made a complete mess of everything. I had to replace all he did using another Thai who actually knew what to do. It cost more than twice as much to fix. I no longer consider giving work to foreigners nor make social friends with members here. Conversely, I've had Thai workers who have done excellent work with onerous tasks and charged me about what I would spend on coffee back home.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

I could give a different story. There were so many stuff ups with my house build I've thought of pulling it down and building again. I'm constantly fixing cracked walls and despairing about pathways dropping away and cracking floor tiles. There was shoddy workmanship in many different areas. Shortly after moving in, we had to hire an excavator to move the two overflowing sewage wells away from the house to areas where they could drain properly. The build did coincide with the start of covid lockdowns, and we found ourselves 1200 miles away and unable to supervise. For the same reasons, the builder had trouble finding qualified workers and compromised with dolts. 

I once gave some work to an expat to do some major work in a previous house. He gave the job to his unqualified BIL who made a complete mess of everything. I had to replace all he did using another Thai who actually knew what to do. It cost more than twice as much to fix. I no longer consider giving work to foreigners nor make social friends with members here. Conversely, I've had Thai workers who have done excellent work with onerous tasks and charged me about what I would spend on coffee back home.

Sounds about right. We need to have a beer two. ????

When I lived in the NT, out camping  I stopped the tinny at some BIG Croc tracks up the river bank. Little Sproc son and I got out to investigate (stupid I know). So we walked an Benjamin stopped and said: Look out dad!...here he comes!....I s**t myself and of we ran into the tinny. Now nearly 50 yrs later we still enjoy the memory. ????

2 hours ago, Old Croc said:

I understand what you are saying, it's just like my hatred for Lazada and their cheating sellers, I have had a dreadful time with them and their products, even now it is a song and dance just to sign in, but other people have been happy with them.

21 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

True love is free and it works really well.

NB I said TRUE love, not that fake love bought with shiny trinkets.

Not if you have more, you end up sharing everything ????. There seems to always be an issue with money or resources in every situation.

Edited by JimTripper