Government claims its liquor policy is in the public interest

webfact

47 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

'(Speaking of unsafe standards. I visited a friend at the apartment building he moved into. The steel "screen" doors at every Fire Escape are locked with padlocks. Good luck getting out if there's a fire.)'

Don't worry my friend, the front door receptionist has the keys....somewhere.

In case of fire they run up and open all the fire doors. No worries.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Kerryd said:

Well this is a disaster just waiting to happen.

With all the low quality knock-offs and poor standards (of every kind) already being used, where on earth does she get the idea that letting individuals produce liquor for commercial purposes will "protect the health and safety of consumers" ??????

I keep think of the videos I've seen of people making the "juice" you see being sold in small plastic bottles at roadside vendors. You know, like the "orange juice" sold in unlabelled bottles.

That's made by people dumping loads of commercially made juice into a washtub and then adding water (to dilute it) and maybe some sugar to cover up the weaker taste, then filling the bottles by submerging them in the tub with the same bare hands they had probably just used to wipe their butts with (or picked their nose with) and then screwing on the lids.

Now imagine those same people making alcohol in the same way and then selling it commercially.

In the article it quotes the spokesperson:

(SMEs - Small/Medium Enterprises, not "Subject Matter Experts".)

Yeah, just like hotels/condo buildings/nightclubs are supposed to meet safety standards as well, which are also rigously enforced. 234477330_whistle.gif.7d03b83886b0a73985926d1677f03493.gif.5d5f6d2381342822b0859b96fa92357c.gif

And what will happen when a few hundred people die from alcohol poisoning ? And a few hundred more from lead poisoning ? And a few hundred more from ingesting alcohol laced with insecticides/anti-freeze ?

Oh right, a two day crackdown on (known) producers and then everything continues as per normal. Again. And again.

(Speaking of unsafe standards. I visited a friend at the apartment building he moved into. The steel "screen" doors at every Fire Escape are locked with padlocks. Good luck getting out if there's a fire.)

It looks like you are not in favour of this change

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, webfact said:

She explained that it will promote fair competition, equal market access and protect the health and safety of consumers by ensuring that the liquor products are up to standard.

The edict will protect local wisdom, increase job opportunities in communities and will enable the state to collect taxes from the producers, she added.

So why did Prayut try to stop it in it's tracks?

2 hours ago, Kerryd said:

Well this is a disaster just waiting to happen.

With all the low quality knock-offs and poor standards (of every kind) already being used, where on earth does she get the idea that letting individuals produce liquor for commercial purposes will "protect the health and safety of consumers" ??????

I keep think of the videos I've seen of people making the "juice" you see being sold in small plastic bottles at roadside vendors. You know, like the "orange juice" sold in unlabelled bottles.

That's made by people dumping loads of commercially made juice into a washtub and then adding water (to dilute it) and maybe some sugar to cover up the weaker taste, then filling the bottles by submerging them in the tub with the same bare hands they had probably just used to wipe their butts with (or picked their nose with) and then screwing on the lids.

Now imagine those same people making alcohol in the same way and then selling it commercially.

In the article it quotes the spokesperson:

(SMEs - Small/Medium Enterprises, not "Subject Matter Experts".)

Yeah, just like hotels/condo buildings/nightclubs are supposed to meet safety standards as well, which are also rigously enforced. 234477330_whistle.gif.7d03b83886b0a73985926d1677f03493.gif.5d5f6d2381342822b0859b96fa92357c.gif

And what will happen when a few hundred people die from alcohol poisoning ? And a few hundred more from lead poisoning ? And a few hundred more from ingesting alcohol laced with insecticides/anti-freeze ?

Oh right, a two day crackdown on (known) producers and then everything continues as per normal. Again. And again.

(Speaking of unsafe standards. I visited a friend at the apartment building he moved into. The steel "screen" doors at every Fire Escape are locked with padlocks. Good luck getting out if there's a fire.)

I don't give two flying hoots what the Thais do and what they buy on the side of the road. In the sticks they have made lao khao for decades. I tried it 25 years ago when I first moved to Thailand, whacky stuff. 

They have been making cut ethanol with botanicals and colouring for years, bottling in branded bottles & selling it in many pubs and night clubs. Mix Thai whiskey with coke and hey man it's ok.  Look around and see the extensive market for second hand alcohol bottles, huh!

On the other side of the spectrum, you underestimate the potential for micro pubs and Thai entrepreneurs.  Look at the gin market globally and you don't think the savvy Thais with a few bob will not capitalise? And what's more I can legally have my own still and make my own quality gin without fear at a tenth if the cost, just need a measly 300B licence courtesy of my wife of course and allowed to legally keep 200 litres, not much I know but enough. 

• Love It 1

We all know why the current administraion tried to block it just like import duties, excise & taxes. Keep them ridiculously high to protect the local brewers and block any new players so the big boys can keep the monopoly they have had for years and the brown envelopes flowing!!!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Andycoops said:

When in the last 8+ years have the military Muppets put anyone other themselves first.

They are desperate to curry favour in the upcoming election.

In the UK just swap military muppets for Consevative Party muppets, "I'm alright Jack" politics.

• Like 1

Looks like Move Forward would make alcohol bill as part of their election policy and will push it at next parliament.

Good summary of the governmental order and the voted down bill:

"Despite allowing individuals to brew for non-commercial purposes, removing minimum authorised capital requirements, and reducing minimum production amounts for home brewing, factory-scale minimum distillation quantities remain at the same rate.

Non-commercial brewers are also required to register with the authorities and provide detailed information about ingredients, brewing methods, and tools used for brewing, unlike the Progressive Liquor bill that had no similar regulations.  ...

Taopiphop argued that the Ministerial Regulations would still make it difficult for SMEs to find a place in the beverage industry as many procedures still depend on officials in many agencies to authorise licences."

https://prachatai.com/english/node/10071

4 hours ago, Archie Baker said:

I don't give two flying hoots what the Thais do and what they buy on the side of the road. In the sticks they have made lao khao for decades. I tried it 25 years ago when I first moved to Thailand, whacky stuff. 

They have been making cut ethanol with botanicals and colouring for years, bottling in branded bottles & selling it in many pubs and night clubs. Mix Thai whiskey with coke and hey man it's ok.  Look around and see the extensive market for second hand alcohol bottles, huh!

On the other side of the spectrum, you underestimate the potential for micro pubs and Thai entrepreneurs.  Look at the gin market globally and you don't think the savvy Thais with a few bob will not capitalise? And what's more I can legally have my own still and make my own quality gin without fear at a tenth if the cost, just need a measly 300B licence courtesy of my wife of course and allowed to legally keep 200 litres, not much I know but enough. 

200 liters of gin would keep me going for a long time.

If you can produce some that tastes like Bombay Saphire you have a customer.

• 2 weeks later...

The bars can not sell alcohol at certain times like 7 eleven,the only ones in certain  bars are farang.selling alcohol  should be easier for a bar with farangs and the hrs too to help the owners survive.Go outside the towns lokal is sold any time along with beers and spirits,the thais do not follow the selling rules and no one will enforce them.In the towns that is a different matter with police making sure these rules are followed