Bring back Thaivisa.com

CrossBones

1 minute ago, Adumbration said:

LOL.  I hope you wife was not standing next to you....

My wife loves whoremongers. She would pay to talk to one. And be called a ham sandwich.

But that's a one way affection. Interest from an old, curvy white woman is not exactly their dream social encounter.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Internet forums are quite dated and old fashioned now and on the decline , have been for about ten years now .

What's the alternative? Twitter, Instagram, fb or what?

I have to admit I didn't even try most of above. I can't imagine it would be an alternative to a forum.

• Like 1

From the beginning in 2002 there has been information and knowledge that was useful to me. That has remained the same over the years. There is not a better source of that information and knowledge relating to Thailand anywhere.

As the forum has grown of course it will get it's fair share of the morons and idiots but in general a good all round bunch of people.

Still, preferred the old name ThaiVisa.com,  and  probably a very large percentage of the info and knowledge is still Thailand related.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, metisdead said:

Google has this forum rated as a family oriented forum, therefore profanity is not allowed and that is why profanities are edited.  This forum has received warnings from Google in the past for profane language being used on this forum. 

oh that's why! thanks for letting us know.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

How has Musk "screwed up" Twitter?

Well there is this from the BBC News website this morning.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-63524219

Twitter's new owner Elon Musk has defended sacking about half the company's workforce, saying he had "no choice" as Twitter was losing more than $4m (£3.5m) a day.

A tweet from Yoel Roth, Twitter's head of safety and integrity, referred to "approximately 50% cuts company-wide".

But Mr Musk said the social media giant's commitment to content moderation was "absolutely unchanged".

There is more on the link.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Adumbration said:

Sheryl is the true backbone of this forum.  If they lose her it is toast.  She is also a very good moderator and not prone to victimise or over police individual posters.

Sheryl and ubonjoe.

The site is over (at least with the present rules and that which cannot even be discussed) if they are not here.

"She is also a very good moderator and not prone to victimise or over police individual posters."

ubononjoe also.

Edited by JimmyJ
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, metisdead said:

Google has this forum rated as a family oriented forum, therefore profanity is not allowed and that is why profanities are edited.  This forum has received warnings from Google in the past for profane language being used on this forum. 

I don't understand this.

Why is Google involved in policing this site?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

This forum is over moderated and treats posters like children. We're adults

Several posters seem to go out of their way to try and prove this is not the case, I think under the circumstances moderators can be forgiven if some adults get caught in the middle by accident.

• Thumbs Up 1

17 minutes ago, JimmyJ said:

"Google has this forum rated as a family oriented forum, therefore profanity is not allowed."

This is what I do not understand.

Google sees profanity, Google can change that rating.

The rating is important for ownership to maintain?

Why?

I didn't know Google classifies forums as Family and not Family.

Why do they rate them as such?

What is the point?

ad revenue. simples.

Edited by Lemsta69
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, HappyExpat57 said:

It was HORRIBLE. No cogent arguments, threads went crazily in all directions, it really was a nightmare.

Why? What prevented you from rolling your eyes and scrolling on? The idea is that you be in charge of what you can read, not someone else who has their own set of biases nor an algorithm coded by persons with their own biases.

Added: Sometimes I see posts here I myself think are silly which have been upvoted multiple times. So, apparently, we don't all have the same tastes. Good.

You think/say what you believe, I'll do the same.

Edited by Why Me
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Why Me said:

Why? What prevented you from rolling your eyes and scrolling on? The idea is that you be in charge of what you can read, not someone else who has their own set of biases nor an algorithm coded by persons with their own biases.

You make my point with your reply. You just don't understand the difficulty of monitoring a basically anonymous site, trying to keep things in check without appearing too heavy handed. I suggest you find a forum where you can be a mod for a while then get back to us.

• Like 2