Immigration latest: Korean conman, Indian on overstay, 56 Chinese, illegal migrants, Austrian benefits' cheat

webfact

28 minutes ago, Andrew65 said:

people had to apply for a visa before travelling, and that included a criminal record check

Stated often here, but an obvious impossibility to insist every tourist must produce an up-to-date criminal record check every time they cross a border worldwide. 

Visa on arrival policies make it very easy for "bad guys" to enter a country, but expecting everyone applying for a visa to be clean also isn't foolproof.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, hellohello123 said:

I hope he's not insinuating that all crimes committed in thailand are committed by foreigners!

No, only crimes commited by non-Thai's who are here courtesy of Thailand provided they behave themselves, probably no different to the rules from wherever you come from. 

Just now, ukrules said:

For sure, also a very vary large number of people wouldn't bother coming.

Who really wants the hassle of applying for a visa to go on holiday - nobody.

People go the route of least resistance, if Thailand required visa applications then peole would simply go elsewhere and there's plenty of other places.

maybe means Visa Exempt..unsure of China is one on the list!

46 minutes ago, Andrew65 said:

A price they pay for giving visas-on-arrival to anyone. If people had to apply for a visa before travelling, and that included a criminal record check, a very large number of people would be barred from visiting Thailand.

They already have a severely damaged tourist industry. Are you suggesting they make travel even more difficult for the vast majority of tourists who will eschew travel here and exacerbate the problem?

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Andrew65 said:

A price they pay for giving visas-on-arrival to anyone. If people had to apply for a visa before travelling, and that included a criminal record check, a very large number of people would be barred from visiting Thailand.

then they would lose their job, cuz will have nothing to do, sherlock

41 minutes ago, TTSIssues said:

My goodness, imagine if the police in UK, France, Germany or other western countries listed crimes committed by foreigners ! 

Yes it would hit the headline of every international news outlet, claiming xenophobia at best or even racism. ????

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Andrew65 said:

Yes Joker????????????

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Andrew65 said:

"A few undesirables" I reckon it would be a lot more than a few, but as you say, it would have a big impact on tourist numbers. It would stop a lot of people with drugs convictions, probably even people who were busted for having a bit of pot *which to me isn't a big deal, but it's still a drugs conviction.

A friend of mine was denied entry to the USA for the very same minor drugs charge. (Possession of marijuana) He put "None" on some paperwork, and was dragged off to Immigration at the airport and grilled for a "very serious crime"!!! And put on the next plane  home to Blighty!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TTSIssues said:

My goodness, imagine if the police in UK, France, Germany or other western countries listed crimes committed by foreigners ! 

Albania is up in arms as it was suggested many crimes are being committed by Albanian asylum seekers. Then, soon after,  it was being widely reported that Albanian gangs are paying for illegal immigrants to enter the UK on condition they work for them.

• Like 2