Retirement visa/Bank account question.

So last week opened my first Thai Bank account.I feel that I will probably go ahead and do the retirement visa through the agent.So I have put so far about 32k baht in my account  that can be used to pay the agent.Only thought about it after but they have to have my bank book to do this and confirmed this with the agent and they have it for 2 days.Apparently the 800k is not in there for a long time

So my question is should I be confident with 10k + baht in my account while this is carried out because I want to use my new bank account to fund my stay while they have my passport.I do have an ATM card to withdraw my own money.Previously have been using my passport to change travellers cheques and collect money from Western Union I have sent myself.

Thanks

Edited by Hmunker

22 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

The 800k goes in then the letter is printed then 800k goes out, all within the same day probably hour. Don't worry about it as long as you've chosen a recommended agent with an office and long established 

Somebody in Immigration is getting rich off these scams.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Definition of scam: a dishonest scheme; a fraud.

Nobody loses money...........................it is corruption.

"Corruption is a form of dishonesty or a criminal offense which is undertaken by a person or an organization which is entrusted in a position of authority"

"What does scam mean? A scam is a deceptive scheme or trick used to cheat someone out of something, especially money. Scam is also a verb meaning to cheat someone in such a way". 

Edited by hotandsticky
  • Like 2

50 minutes ago, Thingamabob said:

Using an agent is not, repeat not, legal. Agents are however accepted in many immigration offices. TIT.

Please post the part of the Civil and Commercial Code that evidences this illegality. Even better post evidence of one, just one, case that has been brought against the perpetrators of such "illegal acts".

Before you go off on a wild goose chase, remember that the IO has ABSOLUTE power to approve retirement extension.

Just because it is corrupt does not make it illegal.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, giddyup said:

Somebody in Immigration is getting rich off these scams.

They do have aspirations and dreams to send their kids to fancy private schools, buy fancy cars and keep their wife/mia nois happy. Why these aspirations should only be limited to Westerners? Just because immigration officials are not fortunate enough to have access to Western wealth, they have found their ways to fulfill their aspirations. 

Edited by Onerak

On 11/8/2022 at 2:18 PM, Hmunker said:

So last week opened my first Thai Bank account.I feel that I will probably go ahead and do the retirement visa through the agent.So I have put so far about 32k baht in my account  that can be used to pay the agent

If you have the correct documents and deposit in the bank why use an agent who is going to fleece you?

1,900 to do it yourself.

11 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

If you have the correct documents and deposit in the bank why use an agent who is going to fleece you?

1,900 to do it yourself.

I'm sure the OP is aware of the financial requirements for non O retirement and subsequent.

For his own reasons he has inquired about agents.

Perhaps he either doesn't want to deposit (and maintain) that level of funds in Thai bank account or does not have the funds. 

• Like 1

On 11/8/2022 at 2:18 PM, Hmunker said:

I want to use my new bank account to fund my stay while they have my passport.

Who are "they" who have your passport, for how long have they had it, and why are they hanging on to it? IMHO it is foolish to let your passport out of your sight for an extended period of time in view of all the hassle involved in replacing it if whoever is holding it then goes on to lose it for you!

Edited by OJAS
  • Like 1

When something happens to yourself, for example you die, the money (800.000 thb) is no longer available or accessible to anyone.

That was for me the main reason to use for the first time, after many years a agent.

It cost me now 19500 thb, including multiple entry for a whole year, but have to accept it.

8 hours ago, Peterphuket said:

When something happens to yourself, for example you die, the money (800.000 thb) is no longer available or accessible to anyone.

That was for me the main reason to use for the first time, after many years a agent.

It cost me now 19500 thb, including multiple entry for a whole year, but have to accept it.

If you have a Will, you can leave your assets to whoever you wish. The 800,000baht will go to whoever you name in your will. Might need a lawyer to obtain Thai probate though.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, prakhonchai nick said:

If you have a Will, you can leave your assets to whoever you wish. The 800,000baht will go to whoever you name in your will. Might need a lawyer to obtain Thai probate though.

...or have access via ATM card or internet banking - but that has been covered in other threads.

• Like 1