Why is the UK struggling more than other countries?

Scott

1 hour ago, johnnybangkok said:

But even this isn't working as there's simply too many jobs vacancies open to be ever filled by Brits, especially lower level, more menial jobs that a lot of Europeans eagerly took. 

There should be not a single British citizen on the dole so long as there is a lower level, more menial job available.

Why should the taxpayer pay those too proud to work a menial job to stay at home?

It's shameful that Britain relies on people that have to come from thousands of miles away to do jobs that those in Britain could do.

1 hour ago, johnnybangkok said:

After four weeks, job seekers will be required to apply for and accept offers for all types of work - including lower-paid, less-skilled roles than their last job - or face welfare payment cuts'. 

Don't reduce the payment. stop it altogether.

• Like 1

The issue with the UK, it has nothing to offer the rest of the world, and isn't self sufficient, being very dependent on importing so much.

Lose lose situation.

Not a Brit, but I thought Brexit was the way to go, independence is a beautiful thing, but can be expensive at times.

Could save a lot of the annual budget by leaving NATO.  Stop being part of the corporate security forces worldwide.  Keep selling your death toys, as very profitable, but leave the corporate police force to the idiot Yanks.

Wasted so much money on the POS carrier and now F-35s.  How's that working out ?

NEWS FLASH: nobody wants to invade the UK

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, superal said:

I do not agree , why ? A Polish national can easily undercut the wage of a Brit and still be earning 4 times what he could earn in Poland . However I did agree with your post of 2 posts ago . 

There is no doubt that Brexit is the main cause of the UK economic downturn but let us not forget why the British public voted for Brexit . 

1/ to be free from the reigns of Belgium 

2/ Immigration issues .

3/ The free movement of workers within the E.C. meant that the UK was invaded by lower paid foreign workers who were putting British workers out of work . This ploy was used by many UK industries who would employ personnel by way of employment agencies . ( My niece was a manager of such an agency who were not interested in Brits . They set up an office in Warsaw which was their main source of recruitment ) . Resulting in unqualified HGV drivers and electricians etc .

Now all those employers are crying because of the lack of takers for their low paid jobs or official minimum wage jobs that means reduced profits .

There is no doubt that foreign workers are needed in the UK right now , especially skilled workers , medics and arable farm workers but there has to be selected needs and qualified government approved resourcing .

Here's a 10 year chart of British unemployment. Brexit didn't change the trendline.

image.png.c4f471aa6cec38fd3399a038a7d71fdb.png

https://tradingeconomics.com/united-kingdom/unemployment-rate#:~:text=Unemployment Rate in the United,percent in December of 1973.

9 minutes ago, RayC said:

It's a failing component of the education system whatever way you phrase things 

It is an aspect of the education system. Not education as a whole, to say that is to denigrate the work that teachers put in on a daily basis.

1 hour ago, Bluespunk said:

And how exactly does the education system not educate people?

I ask as an educator. 

Sorry, but that would take too long to explain if you don't know already.

I learned basically nothing of any use during my time at school ( expensive private school ) because the teachers couldn't motivate the students to learn. Only the top tier of students got good teachers- had to keep up the reputation to attract paying customers.

Looking at school kids now, I doubt they learn much more than I did.

Not many want to learn how to do worthwhile jobs like electricians or plumbers. It's media studies, or such like silliness. They don't even learn the value of working hard to win, given winning isn't allowed, nor rough games in case the little princes and princesses scrape a knee.

5 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I learned basically nothing of any use during my time at school ( expensive private school ) because the teachers couldn't motivate the students to learn. Only the top tier of students got good teachers- had to keep up the reputation to attract paying customers.

Not many want to learn how to do worthwhile jobs like electricians or plumbers. It's media studies, or such like silliness. They don't even learn the value of working hard to win, given winning isn't allowed, nor rough games in case the little princes and princesses scrape a knee.

I work in schools now.

To say that educators are failing the children is just not true.

Edited by Bluespunk
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

The issue with the UK, it has nothing to offer the rest of the world, and isn't self sufficient, being very dependent on importing so much.

Lose lose situation.

Not a Brit, but I thought Brexit was the way to go, independence is a beautiful thing, but can be expensive at times.

Could save a lot of the annual budget by leaving NATO.  Stop being part of the corporate security forces worldwide.  Keep selling your death toys, as very profitable, but leave the corporate police force to the idiot Yanks.

Wasted so much money on the POS carrier and now F-35s.  How's that working out ?

Shouldn't that be carriers? I thought they had two of the big targets floating now. Remember when America bought British aircraft to put on their marine carriers? Does Britain make anything any more?

9 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

LOL. What's 3.5 % of 67 million ( population of Britain ).

That's a lot not working when jobs are available.

You continue to demonstrate your lack of understanding on this matter, now with simple arithmatic.

The UK's population may well be 67 million but obvioulsy that includes children, OAP's, the sick and the 'can't be bothered working'. The actual number of the WORKING polulation is approx. 75% i.e. 50 million. so 3.5% of this number is approx 1.7 million.

2 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

It is an aspect of the education system. Not education as a whole, to say that is to denigrate the work that teachers put in on a daily basis.

You call it 'aspect', I call it 'component': It amounts to the same thing.

How does saying that vocational training in the UK denigrate the work that teachers put in? In any event, even if that was the case, why should the education system be above criticism?

Imo vocational training in the UK is not fit for purpose and lags behind some European peers e.g. Belgium, France, Germany. Whether that is because of the inherent flaws in the system, a lack of investment, poor teachers I don't know (probably a combination of these and other factors to varying degrees).

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

I work in schools now.

To say that educators are failing the children is just not true.

I'm not saying that teachers fail all children. Just the ones that don't learn to read or write properly. Even mine taught me that.

Mine were all rubbish at teaching, but surely there must be some good ones out there.

3 minutes ago, johnnybangkok said:

You continue to demonstrate your lack of understanding on this matter, now with simple arithmatic.

The UK's population may well be 67 million but obvioulsy that includes children, OAP's, the sick and the 'can't be bothered working'. The actual number of the WORKING polulation is approx. 75% i.e. 50 million. so 3.5% of this number is approx 1.7 million.

That's a LOT of people when employers are begging for workers, and I'm sure a lot of jobs don't require a degree to do.

On 11/12/2022 at 9:07 AM, VocalNeal said:

Is it struggling more than other countries????

Don't think so, the timing of the stagflation phases will vary from one country to another in Europe. The US will do better than the rest of the Western World as they won't feel the impact of the energy crisis.

22 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

More anecdotal nonsense.

You cannot keep using your own cr@p experiences in life to blame a whole education system. And in the Uk if you want to be an electricians or plumber there are vocational courses you can take and also plenty of apprentiships around but whether people see these professionas as 'worthwhile' really does depend on their personal ambition.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, johnnybangkok said:

More anecdotal nonsense.

You cannot keep using your own cr@p experiences in life to blame a whole education system. And in the Uk if you want to be an electricians or plumber there are vocational courses you can take and also plenty of apprentiships around but whether people see these professionas as 'worthwhile' really does depend on their personal ambition.

OK explain this. From BEFORE the covid pandemic.

The latest available data from the Department of Education shows 27 per cent of children – 173,765 pupils – had not met the expected reading standard by the end of Key Stage 2 in 2019. This was two per cent – or 19,596 pupils – higher than the previous year.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/education/children-england-reading-pandemic-b2035201.html

4 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

OK explain this. From BEFORE the covid pandemic.

The latest available data from the Department of Education shows 27 per cent of children – 173,765 pupils – had not met the expected reading standard by the end of Key Stage 2 in 2019. This was two per cent – or 19,596 pupils – higher than the previous year.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/education/children-england-reading-pandemic-b2035201.html

You want an explanation? How about this?

Education spending changes put a major brake on levelling up

The cuts to education spending over the last decade are effectively without precedent in post-war UK history, including a 9% real-terms fall in school spending per pupil and a 14% fall in spending per student in colleges... 

The present government has ambitious goals to level up poorer areas of the country, emphasizing a big role for technical education. However, changes to the distribution of education spending have been working in the opposite direction.

https://ifs.org.uk/news/education-spending-changes-put-major-brake-levelling

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

Lose lose situation.

As far as the news goes, it looks like everybody wants to invade the UK.

37 billion wasted on Track and trace

9 billion on wasted on PPE that could not be used

4 Billion on PPE that ended up being burnt

70 billion on the poorly run furlough

That is why the UK is struggling, total incompetence by the government

This is why they have the so-called black hole in finances, nothing to do with Brexit

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Seppius said:

37 billion wasted on Track and trace

9 billion on wasted on PPE that could not be used

4 Billion on PPE that ended up being burnt

70 billion on the poorly run furlough

That is why the UK is struggling, total incompetence by the government

This is why they have the so-called black hole in finances, nothing to do with Brexit

Why do any of these reason negate Brexit's contribution? Is there some Rule that allows for only 4 factors?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, nauseus said:

It took it long enough to leave, and even that process is incomplete. All good things come to those that wait. 

tick tock. the benefits should trickle down by the time the dinosaurs that voted leave are well dead. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, RayC said:

You call it 'aspect', I call it 'component': It amounts to the same thing.

How does saying that vocational training in the UK denigrate the work that teachers put in? In any event, even if that was the case, why should the education system be above criticism?

Imo vocational training in the UK is not fit for purpose and lags behind some European peers e.g. Belgium, France, Germany. Whether that is because of the inherent flaws in the system, a lack of investment, poor teachers I don't know (probably a combination of these and other factors to varying degrees).

I never said anything was above criticism but it needs to be focussed. It is wrong to say the educational system is not meeting the needs of children because one aspect is not. You can criticise the aspect that is not meeting needs but it is hardly right to criticise the whole system because of one area.

Edited by Bluespunk
typo
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I'm not saying that teachers fail all children. Just the ones that don't learn to read or write properly. Even mine taught me that.

Mine were all rubbish at teaching, but surely there must be some good ones out there.

There are many good ones hence my initial response to your post.

59 minutes ago, nauseus said:

It took it long enough to leave, and even that process is incomplete. All good things come to those that wait. 

Any idea how long we might have to wait?

I know it's selfish, but this rich bounty of benefits won't be of much use to me when I'm pushing up the daisies!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1