Why is the UK struggling more than other countries?

Scott

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Most Brit people had no problem with Germans, Spanish, French or the other civilized Euro people entering and working. Just the cheap 3rd world East European labourers and criminals.

PS. I didn't want Brexit and am not a Brexiteer, I always intended to retire in France which Brexit prevented.

I'm making an assumption here, but given that you seem to have a certain disdain for East Europeans, I imagine that you are not over-keen on Algerians, Moroccans, Cameroonians, etc? Plenty of individuals from these nations and a fair few East Europeans in France. 

Looks like you had a narrow escape, and that Brexit did you a favour.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, RayC said:

Looks like you had a narrow escape, and that Brexit did you a favour.

I was going to buy a 'fixer upper' rural farm with a barn and some woodland and grow cannabis, drink cheap wine and eat lots of cheese. 

Sadly I can't meet the post-Brexit residency requirements.

Edited by BritManToo

9 minutes ago, johnnybangkok said:

Oh the originality.

Do you not think every single government since unemployment begin hasn't thought of this? The issue is location.

Large swathes of the unemployed come from cities and large towns. The jobs you speak of need to be close by or they become only available to the young who are the only ones who can easily up-root. If you worked as a skilled machinist in a factory in Newcastle, with a wife, 3 kids, a mortgage and family around you, there's no amount of re-training that's going to make you up-root all of that to take a hospital porters job in (insert shi!!y town name here).

Unemployment is much more nuanced than just 're-train the peasants!'   

Looking at my map , Newcastle is a lot closer than Bucharest is and young single British people can and will travel and live where the work is 

20 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Looking at my map , Newcastle is a lot closer than Bucharest is and young single British people can and will travel and live where the work is 

I remember from Through the Looking Glass the White Queen says +Jam yesterday and jam tomorrow but never jam today." You claim that "young single British people can and will travel and live where the work is. But are they?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, placeholder said:

I remember from Through the Looking Glass the White Queen says +Jam yesterday and jam tomorrow but never jam today." You claim that "young single British people can and will travel and live where the work is. But are they?

Yes, they are . 

A big problem is accommodation costs and availability , accommodation is expensive compared to salaries and landlords often want long term tenants ,

But many Uni students travel to study and work in different locations 

2 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Yes, they are . 

A big problem is accommodation costs and availability , accommodation is expensive compared to salaries and landlords often want long term tenants ,

I was unconvinced by the factual nature of your claim until you invoked the magic word "many".

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Yes, they are . 

Do you believe that University students will be replacing the workers who came from the EU? That their studies are aimed at performing that kind of work?

2 minutes ago, placeholder said:

I was unconvinced by the factual nature of your claim until you invoked the magic word "many".

I am involved with Uni Students looking for accommodation and there are indeed hundreds of Uni students in my local area looking for accommodation  and nearly all of them have part time jobs or will be seeking employment and they are looking for accommodation because they come from somewhere else

38 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

And the example I gave? 
Is Dec from Newcastle (that’s his name now) with his wife and three kids and family all around going to “travel and live where the work is?”

I made the point about it being a young man’s thing for a reason. There’s no excuse for the young to not get off their lazy ar$e and go find work, I did it myself and was a much better person for it. But it’s a very different thing for someone over 40 with family their life all around them. Very different. 

8 minutes ago, johnnybangkok said:

And the example I gave? 
Is Dec from Newcastle (that’s his name now) with his wife and three kids and family all around going to “travel and live where the work is?”

I made the point about it being a young man’s thing for a reason. There’s no excuse for the young to not get off their lazy ar$e and go find work, I did it myself and was a much better person for it. But it’s a very different thing for someone over 40 with family their life all around them. Very different. 

He seems to be doing quite well for himself , left Byker Grove in the 1990's and hasn't looked back ????

Currently living in a jungle somewhere 

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Do you believe that University students will be replacing the workers who came from the EU? That their studies are aimed at performing that kind of work?

Many have casual part time  jobs , like working in the NHS , care homes ,  Sainsburys, coffee shops and numerous other places 

1 minute ago, placeholder said:

Are these the only venues in need of workers?

Is that one of those questions that you know the answer to ?

Like, would you expect me to reply with "Yes" , "its just NHS , coffee shops and Sainsburys that have vacancies" ?

Of course I am not going to say "Yes"

6 hours ago, candide said:

Not stupid. I am sure local supermarkets or shops are quite happy to be sure of what they get when they order a box of bananas from any supplier. Moreover, having the choice different qualities at different prices allows them to match the needs and buying power of their customer base.

Don't introduce logic and thought - the Daily Mail said bendy bananas are banned so it must be so!!  Damn faceless EU bureaucrats!

Again I would urge anyone to Google "Stewart Lee Brexit" as he sums it up perfectly - including the bananas. He sees both sides. I could get in to trouble for posting the link as it contains some language.  4 minute clip, please Google it everyone.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

Complete lie, nothing was going to waste. The banana rule was only a classification of grades of quality, nothing more.

"Around 26 of the EU's 36 directives will be abolished, although minimum standards will remain on goods including apples, lettuces and peaches.

Michael Mann, spokesman for the European Commission, said: 'People are saying prices are too high; it makes no sense to chuck food away."

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1026905/Crooked-cucumbers-bendy-bananas-supermarket-shelves.html

I wont ask for an apology or a retraction of your claim that I was lying